1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Performer

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tarkus60, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

With how strong sales are in 2020 and how limited stock is from ALL manufacturers due to extreme demand there is no haggle room on instruments right now. Shops don't have stock that's been sitting in the showrooms for a couple of years that they're looking to get rid of so they'll sell it close to cost. Heard today that Sweetwater has been selling and shipping 1000 guitars A DAY in 2020.

Also current retail prices are going up right about now.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

That has not been my experience in the slightest in the past year. High demand, yes. But I can always get 15 percent off from a major retailer, without really trying much. Used market sellers, even more so, usually. I have had the biggest scores of my instrument buying life in the last year or so – many of them on brand new instruments.

As an example, I just pre-ordered a Chrissie Hynde Tele. $1,200. Hot item, most likely, and not even on shelves yet. I just asked nicely, said I'd pay in full right now, and they said, you got it, with your pick of the litter once they show up in store. Maybe because I put off a no-B.S., yet polite and formal vibe when haggling. I don't know. Maybe they're less likely to haggle with a 20-something approaching them like a troglodyte, with barely functional millennial English and manners.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  3. EsquireOK

Then we have different standards. I have seen issues on every one of the ones I have personally held, except the aforementioned one that I own, with neck binding with fret nibs taking care of the issues with metal fret ends. I would estimate I have played at least 20, maybe more, in local shops. I've seen pickup issues as well, on no fewer than three of them, in the same shop. Dead pickups. Solder had to be re-flowed on the pickup eyelets.

I have see one online with nicer fretwork, however.

Don't get me wrong. They are nice, and the problems are fixable. I just think the guitars are overpriced.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  4. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Agree to disagree then, but by your judgment Fender should not have let them out of the factory which gives an air of hyperbole to your opinion.

5. EsquireOK

Well, the meaning of "should" is subjective here...and I didn't say they shouldn't have let them out of the factory that way. But even if I had said that, it doesn't in any way suggest hyperbole.

Guitars come out of factories that way all day long. A reasonable person expects to see that sort of thing...but on a $500 guitar, not a $1,000 guitar. I said I think the guitars are overpriced for the level of quality I have seen, especially when their own Classic Vibes are outdoing them. That is not hyperbole. It is quite literal. Every single Classic Vibe I have picked up in the past two years has had better fret work than every single Vintera I have picked up since their introduction, aforementioned bound example aside. Again, not hyperbole; I am not exaggerating to make a point. I am reporting on the physical shapes of fret ends and the physical characteristics of fret polish. I can't help it that it's a 100 percent thing here IME. That it is does not make it hyperbole. With observable facts like that, using hyperbole doesn't even enter my mind. And, no, I don't get a kick out of it being that way. I think it's pretty backwards. I have no axe to grind about the Vinteras in general. I think they are nice. I own one, and the neck from another. I just think they aren't a great bang for the buck.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The gig bags that have been s**t on here are quite well padded, and are nicer than lower priced ones from Levy's and others. I've used them, and travelled with them for years, and have had no damage to any guitar in them. And, the Performers have a newer version of vintage split shaft tuners with a higher gear ratio, and are held on with the post bushings, like modern tuners, and have the two locator pins on the back for alignment. I replaced the tuners on the Pro with Fender's awesome locking ones, and I plan on replacing the Performer ones with those too.

7. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

They may well be overpriced but they ain’t getting cheaper. Best to buy what you want now.

8. philta

philta TDPRI Member

Tried the performer tele with the humbucker neck pickup
    The build, quality, neck, frets etc were awesome - but did not like pickups - too bright and thin

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  9. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

FAC7C08E-B113-4492-96F6-26667A488E37.jpeg I have a 2020 Performer and I agree with TELE5
    I also have 1990s American Standard Tele that I love, but it hasn’t been getting any playing time since I’ve gotten the Performer. Love the jumbo frets and Yosemite alnico IV based pickups!

10. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning TDPRI Member

Yep Blues T I agree with all that - you just pick the one that does it for yer. I think a working player goes straight to the USA Pro2 and messes with pups and set up - job done. And iof you start getting asked to do the top gigs at the Oscars and GOO then jump up to the Suhrs, Andersons, and Collings, etc.

11. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry Tele-Meister

I like that the Performer has no micro tilt, and apparently the edges of the neck aren't rolled.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

I have a 2018 Performer Tele, that I bought new. I love it and have played it live and recorded with it. It plays, feels and sounds great. Would definitely recommend it!

13. Discosanta

Discosanta TDPRI Member

I own both the Performer and the Professional. Quality wise they are equal. The jumbos on the Performer feel much smoother than the tall narrow frets on the Pro. The matt finish feels really good too. They weigh about the same. The rosewood board on the Performer is the darkest I have ever seen on a guitar in my possession. If the specs of the Performer are right for you, go for it.

14. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I just picked up a "used" Performer (maple/vintage white). It's about 4-5 months old and it doesn't look like it had been played. I had to tweak the truss rod and the intonation a bit. I have a mid-90's Mexican tele (w/Duncan Antiquities) and an '98 hardtail American Standard Strat that I bought new. I got the Performer because I wanted something with bigger frets than the vintage frets on the Mexi-tele.

It's a process. The "Greasebucket" tone control is taking a little getting used to. I got used to the treble rolling off with the volume. The neck and frets are really smooth though. The satin finish feels really good to me, and the finish on the frets is really smooth. Really, the fit and finish is on par with the Strat. I'm finding the pickups to be really twangy, with a ton of usable range on both the volume and the tone.

15. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

I played one probably six months back during a visit to my favorite local shop. It was the Penny finish, which on their crowded rack and under odd lighting I at first mistook for Burgundy Mist Metallic.

It was light, sounded great and I loved the chunky neck & big frets. Perfect combination of Tele features for me.

I was shopping for a new acoustic at the time, and I've already got three Teles in the house, plus parts waiting to become two more. So I walked away and continued on my search for a nice acoustic. Still, each time I went back to the shop, it was there, calling to me. My will held for several months, but two weeks ago I went back and bought it.

It hasn't disappointed me in the least. Sounds great, a joy to play, and has stayed in tune since I brought it home.

Dog Bite likes this.
  16. manlopsan

manlopsan TDPRI Member

Hi everybody!
    I am on the quest for my first tele and after starting on the classis vibe, move to MIM and vintera, checked the prices on Custom Shop . . . . I am finally stopping the GAS at Performer.

There is no stock in the guitar store around and I contacted one of them and told me that there won't be Performers untill the end of 2021 because of COVID issues . . . .

I can not believe it . . . . I will continue saving so by the end of 2021 I will have enough for a Custom Shop (wife will kill me) :lol::lol::lol:

Bye!

17. ronmail65

ronmail65 TDPRI Member

BUMMER!! I've been considering one of these myself and noticed they were largely 'out of stock'. I just assumed they would be replenished in another month or two.

18. manlopsan

manlopsan TDPRI Member

I was told that (end of 2021), but I live in Southern Spain, maybe in the USA, it takes less time to have stock again.

19. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

None of the larger European online sellers have any on stock? Too bad Reverb.com is USA-based because it is full of both new and used Performers.

20. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

I really like the American Performer Hum but don't like the jumbo frets so decided to upgrade my FSR Player Tele. It's got a beautiful flamed maple Sienna Burst body and a maple neck with medium jumbo frets which I really like.
    Just ordered a Double Tap humbucker for the neck, a set of Yosemite single coils, a set of classic gear tuners and a vintage bridge. Should get me close enough to a Performer.

wblynch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.