American Performer vs Player Plus Nashville for Glaser Bender

kctelegas

TDPRI Member
I am narrowing down my search for my first Telecaster. The plan is to have a Glaser Bender installed at some later date. I would be interested in your thoughts comparing the two, maybe some pros/cons that I have not considered.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...lecaster-honeyburst-with-rosewood-fingerboard

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ed-candy-apple-red-with-pau-ferro-fingerboard

I have played the American Performer and found the neck to be very comfortable for me. It is a 9.5” radius compared to 12” on the Nashville. Both have medium jumbo frets. The Deluxe Nashville that I tried had other (Guitar Center) issues, so kind of hard to compare. These were at two different stores. There is another store about an hour from where I live that has both, but I would not be able to go there for at least the next week or two.

The American Performer has a rosewood FB, which I am partial to. The honeyburst is growing on me as long as I can pick one with a pleasing grain pattern. I kind of like the funky combo of aged candy apple red with tort guard—just wish it had a rosewood FB.

The American Performer has the traditional 3-saddle bridge, which I know is preferred by purists, vs the 6-saddle bridge on the Nashville; Classic tuners on the AP vs. locking tuners on the Nashville.
Obviously different pickup configurations.

Beyond personal aesthetic preferences, and A/B-ing the playability of the neck, are there any other issues i should take into consideration? The difference in price is not enough to factor into the ultimate decision.

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
For me, it would be down to what you're needing the guitar for. I have a Fender Nashville Tele with a Matney B-Bender, I wanted a swiss army knife guitar and it covers most of the bases but I changed the switch out for a 5 way that retains all the Telecaster-ness and adds a little Strat capability. I like it OK but wish the neck was a little more substantial. I just had a Glaser Bender installed in an American Original 50's Tele last week...I can tell this will fit me and what I do better than the Nashville.

Definitely play them both if you can.

kctelegas

TDPRI Member
Thanks.
I ended up going with the American Performer. It was the one I was leaning towards anyway. I had my head turned a bit when they came out with the new Player Plus stuff.
It's a real beauty, and the color is less harsh than depicted in the online photos (the Sweetwater pics looked more orange). Love the rosewood fingerboard.

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
Excellent choice, I hope you enjoy it!

I was truly impressed with the staff at Glaser's shop, we had my Tele there last Friday about 11:30 and picked it up shortly before 5:00. The install is impeccable, a young man named Aaron did the work but Joe was there when I picked up the guitar. I see you're up the road from me in KC, best to you and happy bending!

kctelegas

TDPRI Member
We are tentatively planning a (first) trip to Nashville next summer, and getting it done while we're there.
I wonder how much business he's gotten from the "Ask Zac" installation video. That's where I became aware of it.

kctelegas

TDPRI Member
Excellent choice, I hope you enjoy it!

I was truly impressed with the staff at Glaser's shop, we had my Tele there last Friday about 11:30 and picked it up shortly before 5:00. The install is impeccable, a young man named Aaron did the work but Joe was there when I picked up the guitar....

How far out did you have to schedule?
What throw length did you choose? Is that user adjustable?

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
I called a couple weeks before and they had me call the week I was headed to Nashville to make sure one of the install guys would be there that day. They installed three medium throw B’s that afternoon, mine and two others. I went with a medium throw and it’s fine for me. The force required to actuate the bender is adjustable, as far as changing the throw it seems to be pretty involved but on my way out the door Joe said to call him if I wanted to change it and he’d walk me through it. This latest version is convertible for either B or G, takes about 15 minutes to change it over.

The more I play it the more I like it.

Rick Towne

Tele-Afflicted
87.jpg
The 1994 lefty Glaser double bender and friends.

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
On the new Glaser system, to change the throw, remove the neck plate and move the pulling anchor to one of the other two positions, there are only 3. The middle position is medium. It should be no more than a 10 of 15 min experience at best. A very well designed system. This is the system that's on the Fender Brent Mason Tele.

Regarding moving to a G pull from the B, or vice versa, this too is about a 10 to 15 min experience at best. From B to G you will need a new B string as it is now too short, from G to B, you will need a new G string as now the G string is too short.