American Performer HUM 3 way selector functions

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Sentenced, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Sentenced

Sentenced TDPRI Member

Hi all!

First Tele, first post, first question.

So, I have an American Performer HUM and I would please like to ask you about which pickups the selector activates on each position (especially on the "alternative" humbucker split mode when the tone knob is pulled).

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Hey, and welcome!

Seems like a standard three way setup. Down (to the right when you're holding it) is bridge only, middle is both, toward the neck is the humbucker.

You can always confirm switching with any pickup by taking something metal and tapping the pole pieces of the pieces while you're plugged in. Whichever ones make noise is active with your current switch selection.

Sentenced likes this.
  3. Sentenced

Sentenced TDPRI Member

Thanks! Any idea about the HUM split mode?

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Sentenced likes this.
  5. Sentenced

Sentenced TDPRI Member

Yes... still the positions remain unknown. I'll try the trick with the metalic item but they could include a piece of paper with the guitar or a pdf...

6. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Tele-Holic

upload_2019-8-3_15-56-3.png upload_2019-8-3_15-56-3.png

Sentenced likes this.
  7. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

The push/pull switch simply splits the neck humbucker coils giving you a single coil sound in the neck position. It will stay a "single coil" sound when switching to the middle position so you end up with single coil neck/single coil bridge together.

Sentenced likes this.
  8. Sentenced

Sentenced TDPRI Member

Great, thanks! It is intetesting that when the tone knob is pulled there is in fact less noise (at least in the middle position neck + bridge that I remember) compared to the pushed possition (when I used some heavy distortion). So the humbucker on its original form has more noise together with the bridge pickup.

I need to run more tests :). I dig it so far.

BTW I have read some terror stories about big volume diparities between different pickup positions but I don't think that it is so bad. It isn't perfect either. Perhaps they improved it on the latter production models or it's just a more important aspect for some people (who are thus more sensitive).

9. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

Glad you put the "single coil" in scare quotes because, as we all know, a split humbucker is not the same as a single coil. I don't know why, I lack education, but my ears still work fairly well.

dan40 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.