American Original or Jimmy Page Tele?

smithfactory

TDPRI Member
Long time lurker, first time poster!

I’ve been GASing for a nitro tele for some time, and I’ve now got an opportunity to pick up either an American Original 60s in Lake Placid Blue or a Jimmy Page signature. Both are my cup of tea - nitro tele with a rosewood neck, and both are the same price (JP sig has a small nitro chip on the back, which really doesn’t bother me).

The AO has the double bound body and 9.5” neck and the JP has the 7.5” neck, otherwise I’m not seeing a ton of differences other than hardware (top-loading bridge on JP, different pickups, different case etc)

I know the JP is typically way more expensive, but I’m wondering if that’s just because it’s a signature - I would think the double bound body would actually make for a more expensive tele to make, but what do I know…

I’m surprised there’s virtually no comparison online given the similarities, so I thought I’d defer to you fine people.

I’m going to play both tomorrow, so obviously that’s going to be the biggest factor, but I thought I’d see if there’s anything else I need to keep an eye on.

I guess what I’m really asking here is whether the JP is really more guitar than the AO.

Thanks!

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Holic
I never really cared for SIG guitars....maybe the reason I keep dancing around the Silver Sky....but that Jimmy Page one is cool.

I hate going to a blues jam, and that one guy inevedably shows up with an SRV strat, trying to play SRV licks...and seldom pulls it off. Just bad form in every way

The Jimmy Page is cool first of all...cause most people don't even know Page was a tele guy, and 2nd, it's a tele.

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
Welcome!!

The JP is basically just an American vintage ‘59 with a teeny signature on the back of the headstock and some mirrors in the case. It’s awesome. It’s certainly not more guitar than the AO, just a different vibe. I kind of dislike jimmy page for, um, “creative” reasons and I want one bad.

I have an ao 50s and love it, and the double bound 60s are badass. You can’t really go wrong- I’ve never played a 7.5” radius, so I can’t tell you my feelings on that, unfortunately, but the AO will play amazingly.

You’re doing the right thing by playing each and letting your ears and fingers decide. Best of luck with your decision!

ponycar

Tele-Meister
I think the JP has vintage frets while the AO has vintage tall? Not positive. That would matter to me more than the radius. Oh, JP may be a hair narrower at the nut. 1.63 vs 1.65? Not sure, this is from memory, if that might matter to you check the published stats.

knavel

Tele-Holic
I went for A/O 60s because arthritic onset me prefers the 9.5 radius and taller frets. Plus my whole life I wanted a Custom Telecaster (as opposed to the Telecaster Custom, although the 70s version was my favorite guitar to gig with) and the 60s A/O is actually a custom, headstock sticker and all.

I haven't played the JP Tele, I think the specs are exceptional but I have a couple of original 59 Fenders and the necks are very thin which I loved in the 80s-2000s but less so now. I don't expect Fender has gone for that vintage aspect with the JP Tele, but I would want to try one first to be sure. The JP is the only signature guitar (besides Les Paul anything) I've been interested in.

I got my Lake Placid Blue A/O on major scratch and dent sale and as has happened more than once in my experience, the people at Guitar Center mixed up the cases so mine came in a tweed G&G case with the certificate of authenticity for a Jimmy Page telecaster, so I have a bit of both :twisted: (if you need JP serial number US00085 I have your CoA).

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
The JP custom pickups are THE definitive Tele PUs IMO. They are dirty and nasty and full tilt. I have a set in a Bullet, and I like them so much I will likely buy an actual JP Sig in the future; there's one on reverb I have been barely resisting because I'm jobless even though I have the cash on hand.

There is literally no question in my mind whether I would buy an AO or a JP.

mimmo

Friend of Leo's
Two great guitars, I don't think you can go wrong with either.
However, if I was you I'd go Page as I much prefer the narrower radius, but honestly 9.5" is just as fine. Enjoy whichever you chose!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Just me but I view signature guitars as naff, simply because of the autograph. No need for it, just sell it as a guitar to 'xyz's' specs and leave off the 'this is my hero' name tag...................like I say, just me.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Resale of signature guitars is much more difficult. Longer time to move it and lower prices when you do.

It's because not only do you need to find a Fender player, who likes Teles, but who also likes Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin playing Teles. The Venn Diagram gets small down there.