American Original is gone... and nothing was announced to replace it

logans_tele

Tele-Meister
has there ever actually been an official ending/retirement of the AO series?

I don't believe so. In fact I just noticed yesterday Sweetwater had a few new AO 50's Teles in. However, there's clearly been a huge slowdown in production that's only showed momentary signs of reversing. This has happened at the same time as other models getting a lot of production like the american pro II and road worn vinteras, and others.

John C

Friend of Leo's
It looks like its been replaced by the JV Modified series. Though I agree that it's not really the same and not really what I wanted to see.

I believe these are for the 40th Anniversary of Fender Japan starting up in 1982; also those 40th Anniversary Squier models because they revived Squier as a brand the same year. It's also the 60th Anniversary of the Jaguar's introduction in 1962 so there are a couple of commemorative models of them as well.

Yeah you'd expect so, but they've announced their 2022 new products and there's nothing American or Vintage in there.

I'm not so sure. Fender has really pivoted their marketing to younger players over the past several years.

They're still fulfilling AO backorders.

They also need to hold something back for summer NAMM 😉.

I agree with @IrishBread69 - they took orders on AOs until the date they gave as the "end of the order window" so they are still fulfilling them, and I'm sure they are holding a few things back for the Summer NAMM. Summer NAMM this year will be the full/big show in Anaheim, not the smaller show in Nashville (although NAMM cut the days down to 3) so I'm sure Fender wants to have a big roll-out for the big show, and these things that might normally have been a Summer NAMM introduction were moved up to a January introduction.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
There are too many models in the lineup. They should reserve changes to different years like they used to do.
I have always agreed with that. If folks want a guitar a certain way, they should mod it themselves or be able to have a way to order it without going through the uber expensive custom shop. Most people like the vintage designs anyway with just their own personal tweaks.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Yeah, that scenario makes sense to me... Fender is still ironing out production issues so they hold off on the AO revamp until summer. In the meantime, sell some of these JV Modified models to guys that want an AO but can't wait.

I've seen no statement by Fender that says the MIJs will be available in the US market. I'm not going to assume anything.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
has there ever actually been an official ending/retirement of the AO series?

I feel like you've kind of been chicken little'n.

I saw projections for delivery of the 60's telecasters well into june/july on some sites.

There's been several reports of dealers being told the AO's are done. I know there was a batch of them that went out in November to stores and the dealer I bought my AO60's Jazzmaster from told me that Fender said these were the last one they (the dealer) was going to receive. (Also the two guitars they got in had been ordered in January 2021 and took 11 months to show up)

Long & McQuade (Canada's biggest Fender dealer) has any AO model that they don't already have stock of listed as "This product is no longer available". They only do that for models that are discontinued. If they can be ordered they say that they're on backorder and are available to order.

1643308181840.png

Last edited:

gkterry

Tele-Afflicted
Don't worry, they will be back soon. Fender will change the model name, delete some features and raise the price by at least 20% and then attempt to convince us it is such a great deal.

Fender needs to take some lessons from PRS - $850 S-style guitar with rosewood fretboard, double action truss rod, extra hand relief on the lower bout, plays like a dream and sounds great too. For those specs Fender would charge twice that much and it wouldn't be as nice as the PRS.

Tele-Afflicted
Don't worry, they will be back soon. Fender will change the model name, delete some features and raise the price by at least 20% and then attempt to convince us it is such a great deal.

Fender needs to take some lessons from PRS - $850 S-style guitar with rosewood fretboard, double action truss rod, extra hand relief on the lower bout, plays like a dream and sounds great too. For those specs Fender would charge twice that much and it wouldn't be as nice as the PRS.
Whilst I can't say I have any personal interest in owning a PRS of any description (been there, done that...) I tend to agree with this!

Rosewoodtele

TDPRI Member

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but they will still sell. Fender is making their best effort to make any other nitro guitars (Gibson, Martin, etc) look like a great deal compared to poly finished Strats.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
So it looks like the American Original series has been discontinued (several retailers have stated they are no longer able to order new stock on them for 2022). This would match up with Fender's new 4-year product cycle so it has been expected that there would be a refresh or return to the American Vintage specs for the line.

Well, looks like Fender announced their 2022 products today (due to NAMM being canceled) and conspicuously absent is any sort of American made "vintage" models or lineup. So... I guess this is the end of the line for the AVRI/AV/AO segment of the Fender lineup.
I saw Fender announced their 2022 NEW entries in the lineup, but the AO's would not have been NEW entries but existing. Right now , AO's are still listed but with the "Notify Me When Available" message, as are many other high end models like EJ's, Clapton, Beck etc. But it's not complete "darkness" ...the H.E.R. Strat is still available.;)

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've seen no statement by Fender that says the MIJs will be available in the US market. I'm not going to assume anything.

Right. One might see some MIJs for sale in "US Port Cities" like SF and Los Angeles, NYC. But in the Heartland and Deep South, I believe they are quite scarce. IMO there are not enough buyers nor sellers in Memphis or Omaha. The way to go there would be NOS AOs and other nice guitars with similar specifications. What's a circa '06 used FCS No-Caster go for these days? Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box and if all else fails, order a guitar from Ron Kirn.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister

I've yet to buy a Fender that I felt was overpriced. The equivalent from the other big and boutique brands are always significantly more expensive.

A USA built AO, well made, excellent pickups, nice case and a nitro finish. For < £1800? I'll take three please.

72_Custom

Tele-Meister
So here's an interesting development. There actually ARE new offerings in the American Original lineup. Fender is now selling replacement 60s Tele and Strat necks with figured maple (previously they were only available with plain maple).

I already scooped one up. A dealer online offered me 10% off, which means I only paid $20 extra for the figuring.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
So here's an interesting development. There actually ARE new offerings in the American Original lineup. Fender is now selling replacement 60s Tele and Strat necks with figured maple (previously they were only available with plain maple).

I already scooped one up. A dealer online offered me 10% off, which means I only paid $20 extra for the figuring.
That's a fascinating development indeed. Cheers for sharing!

corbo

Tele-Meister
That's FMIC for you -- "Hey, here's this thing we've made for decades that everybody likes. LET'S STOP MAKING IT! Now shut up and enjoy this hot pink bluetooth practice amp!!!"

brmusician

TDPRI Member
An American Original tele for $2400, with original hardware, neck shape, woods and so on, I can understand. I can't understand a Suhr with commodity hardware, although quality ones, charging way higher.

RoyMontero62

TDPRI Member
An American Original tele for $2400, with original hardware, neck shape, woods and so on, I can understand. I can't understand a Suhr with commodity hardware, although quality ones, charging way higher.
Suhr is great, just annoying how they copy what fender does a little too much😅. I agree with others that Summer NAMM we will see some new AO Fenders. Dont crack your wallet until summer lol. Sweetwater do have a new AO model, 69 model with 7.25 radius.

Attachments

• 6FF57F2D-A1B4-48BC-9EF7-28B7EA7DF790.jpeg
    6FF57F2D-A1B4-48BC-9EF7-28B7EA7DF790.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 53

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
I sell CanAm and Sea Doo. They are assembled in Mexico. Like the Fender Player series, the Mexican Factories are running well. They call "it" the flu over there and go to work. The American factories are still kinda wonky.