American Original 70s Telecaster Custom, a question for owners

kaiser_soze

NEW MEMBER!
Hi!
I recently acquired a Fender American Original 70s Telecaster Custom, in mocha brown color.
Wonderful instrument, really well made.

I played various of these in various shops, they have the new Fender Cunife Wide Range in the neck position but everyone seems to have hums and buzzing, similar to a single coil despite it's an humbucker, is it normal?
Anyone that tried or have one of this had the same impression?
The wiring is well made, no bad solderings or ground problems.

I read that the original Wide Range are noisy too so it's a project issue, is it true?

horseman308

Tele-Holic
Is this a problem that has showed up for you in multiple locations? Or was it multiple instruments in the same location? If it's the latter, I'd want to know about RF, "dirty power", and other kinds of interference that might cause hum. In my house, as well as one place I gig regularly, if it has rained AT ALL lately I get a noticeable increase in hum no matter what pickups I use.

That said, I don't have the Cunife WRHB, but I'm planning to install one in one of my Teles, so this is going to be an important thread. Thanks for posting the question.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
I can't answer your question but I'm following this as I plan to install a set in a Deluxe I have.

kaiser_soze

NEW MEMBER!
Is this a problem that has showed up for you in multiple locations? Or was it multiple instruments in the same location? If it's the latter, I'd want to know about RF, "dirty power", and other kinds of interference that might cause hum. In my house, as well as one place I gig regularly, if it has rained AT ALL lately I get a noticeable increase in hum no matter what pickups I use.

That said, I don't have the Cunife WRHB, but I'm planning to install one in one of my Teles, so this is going to be an important thread. Thanks for posting the question.

It happened in multiple locations, but at home it happens more.
It hums more than my tele single coils but the output is more than double (5,2k vs 10,7).
It's the second AmOr70 I owned and both are like that, I also tried another one in a shop and it still have hums.

I read in the forum about a guy who had a vintage 70s Deluxe and have the same issues with original WRHB, so I think wide range sounds basically more noisy than traditional humbuckers.

Guitarman8103

NEW MEMBER!
I just got one of these yesterday and it was noisy as well in all three positions. I removed the pickguard and used copper tape to shield the entire cavity and underside of the pickguard. I used a meter and checked continuity and made sure the bridge plate was grounded as well. The guitar is now silent as a single coil can be.

Deathray

Friend of Leo's
They are not noise-free by any means. They hum less than a P90 but more than a PAF.
This^^^^^

I just recently bought an AO Telecaster custom, and that’s how I would also classify the noise level. The pure brilliance of the tone of that pickup, through a BF Princeton Reverb is well worth the minor noise:)

Gris

Tele-Meister
Back in the day I played a ‘73 Thinline w WRHB for years and they were def NOT noisy.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Do they use braided metal wire from the humbucker and up to the switch on the reissues, like Fender used on the originals? It’s a long stretch and liable to pick up interference if it isn’t braided nor otherwise shielded cable. The original WRHBs aren’t silent but are quieter than single coils.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I just built a 70's Tele Custom using basically all the same parts as an AO70's including the Cunife WRHB. While I was in the assembly phase I shielded the entire pickup and wiring cavity area and the back of the pickguard with copper tape. My basement is exceptionally bad for RF noise and my bridge pickup still buzzes somewhat but the neck pickup is quiet. There's ever so slightly a bit of RF noise on it but absolutely not even close to the level of the single coil.