American Original 50s

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by newyork, Feb 10, 2020.

1. DrBeezus

DrBeezus Tele-Meister

My Broadcaster was 1800 and so was my Page

2. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

New for both? I thought $500 off for the Page was amazing. You had $700 off!
    Between the two which do you find represents the price point better ?

my prices include tax too

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  3. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

Way to go. I've got a great relationship with my local Mom & Pop too and just don't shop elsewhere. I want them to hang around.

newyork likes this.
  4. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

He’s a few years older than me and doing it alone in a town you’d never think he’d survive in. I haven’t even known him long but I keep going back and buying little things here and there and struck it up.

LPTyler likes this.
  5. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

Which of the two do you find represents the price point the best?

6. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

What do you mean by “represents the price point the better?”

Which one is a true $2K guitar?

The AO50s Tele is a $1300 guitar to me. The Jimmy Page is maybe a $1400 guitar.

However, $1000 is my absolute ceiling for any Fender so I would probably not buy either guitar.

My local music store just couldn’t compete in the market despite my support. They eventually had to close and try to sell from their home. Very nice people.

LPTyler likes this.
  7. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

yes. Which is the $2k guitar?
    $1000 because they’re aren’t worth spending more on?
    $1000 used or $1000 new?
    If you don’t mind me asking, what do you like at $1000?

I’m new to getting deeper into the electrics so I’m honestly asking I’m not meaning to sound like an ass. I’m really curious so I don’t spend a ton for no reason.

8. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I like the AO neck but that JP would be hard to walk away from. They look great, but I have never played one. I’m not too picky on necks, I find I can get used to most pretty quickly.

newyork likes this.
  9. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

These are good questions. $1000 is my Fender ceiling because my concept of a Tele is a working musician’s guitar: simple, solid, versatile, dependable.

Additionally, $1000 because the quality coming from the Fender Mexican factory is excellent.

I would spend $1000 on a used American Professional or American Standard in excellent condition.

I have a couple of “new” guitars that are discounted demo models, otherwise the used market can offer tremendous savings from people who don’t bond with their new guitars.

There is tremendous value in the $500 - $1000 range in terms of guitars with modern features such as roasted maple necks, coil-splitting humbuckers, locking tuners, etc. Yamaha Revstar and PRS SE are two examples.

Finally, I’m a hobbyist, a bedroom player, so I don’t need anything fancy. I play clean at low volume.

If you want and can afford a $2K guitar that’s all that matters and whatever I think is irrelevant.

I was bewildered by an American Ultra Tele that I tried last week that cost $1900. I loved the neck and the dark Rosewood fretboard on that guitar. However, not for $1000 more than my American Special Tele that brought me back to my senses when I got home and played it.

P.S. The people with $500 electric guitar ceilings will say I’m insane.

nicknklv and unixfish like this.
  10. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

My wife bought me an AO 50s Tele for my birthday last year. I usually prefer the vintage 7.25 radius, but I've got to tell you, this guitar has been a real eye-opener! I realized that the shape of the back of the neck and the way the edges are rolled have as much to do with the way the neck feels as much as the radius does. (I realize this is not news to everybody, but what can I say?) They're great guitars and the size of the neck really makes the whole guitar resonate.

gwjensen and newyork like this.
  11. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

So I can stop avoiding MIM? The Vintera? Looks pretty decent and is $899.

12. mschafft

mschafft TDPRI Member

Never tried the Tele, but my AO Jazzmaster is stellar in every way.

WingedWords likes this.
  13. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Mine too.

I thought the AO series was the best thing Fender had done for years. Then along came the 70th Anniv Broadcaster...

gwjensen and mschafft like this.
  14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've come to realize that I don't enjoy a Fender guitar that doesn't have a 7.25" radius. I used to think it didn't matter so much. But then I'd rarely play the flatter fingerboards, and tweak their setups, thinking ... 'something' was wrong. Eventually, I sold most of them, even though they were generally very nice guitars. I still own a couple of otherwise-excellent CS Strats with 10" radii, that I haven't played in over a year. I still own the all-rosewood neck that I just bought a couple years ago, for a build. Love, love the huge profile. But can't stand the 12" radius. I've stopped playing that guitar, too.

It's hard to reconcile, because I can switch between Fender and other makers with ease. All the others - Gretsch, Gibson, Martin, Collings, etc - have at least 12" radii.

A non-ideal neck profile that's too skinny, or too-large fretwire, I notice these things immediately. Too extreme, and I'll avoid, but otherwise, I get past it. My beloved 335 has a skinny neck. I've toyed with the idea of selling to get one with a fat neck, but I'd be a fool to part with a guitar that I (otherwise) love so much. Similar situation with a MIJ 6120.

Conversely, I don't notice a flatter radius on a Fender neck. Not immediately. Then, eventually it becomes obvious, and is something I cannot get past.

nicknklv and MilwMark like this.
  15. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Why were you avoiding MIM? Vintera, Player Series, Road Worn 50s, and Baja 50s Teles are all worth trying against the American Original 50s.

The AO50s is a very nice guitar and felt like the real deal to me. I like the neck on that guitar very much. I just wouldn’t pay full price for a new one when I could save money on a used one in excellent to mint condition.

16. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

Asking questions and learning is something to be applauded. Incurious know-it-alls are the asses.

I became interested in electric guitars, Teles specifically, last year. I've been playing acoustic instruments for 40 years. In my opinion, we learn both by asking questions and by playing many guitars. I've owned, I don't know, 6 or 7 different Teles over the year. I know if I don't like a guitar immediately, but it may take a little while to learn what could be better about a guitar I do like. This is where the practical value of used instruments comes in.

Used guitars are less expensive so what you "lose" by trading them for another guitar is less than trading a new guitar and the way I look at it is that that "loss" is simply the cost of my education.

Among the Teles I've owned have been the Deluxe, American Standard, Pure Vintage, American Original, Squire and a MIM or two. I have never paid more than about $1100 for a Telecaster. Not because that was a personal ceiling, that's just what the used guitars cost in my corner of Northern New England. It's important to play what YOU like in the end and you may just have to buy and sell a few to find out what that is.

Having said that, any of the instruments we've talked about here are serviceable and are guitars on which you can make music.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    mimmo and NewKid like this.
  17. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

I was avoiding because they’re made in Mexico. Just kind of thought it’d go hand in hand with not good.
    Kind of don’t like my classic American guitar company guitar to have “Made in Mexico “ on it.
    Would be nice to keep the jobs and pride of workmanship here

he has a fiesta red vintera there and to be honest I loved the neck as soon as I touched it. First 7.25 I’ve touched. Wasn’t nuts about fiesta red but whatever. I’m going in soon. I’ll try it again and the Page. If he has other new ones I’ll try them too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    NewKid and gwjensen like this.
  18. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you like the bigger necks, try a Vintera 50's Modified. It is the replacement for the Baja, and retails for a few cents less than $1000. The 60's Modified line is nice as well. Good guitars for the money.

NewKid and gwjensen like this.
  19. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

He’s got a butterscotch one too! $950 tax included. 4 way switch? I like the 3 way simplicity but I could check it out. Love butterscotch too. It’s fat but with 9.5” correct?

20. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

This is where you have an opportunity to learn... and grow. Parts of your car, if not the whole thing, are imported. And likely most of your clothes, if you're like most American consumers.

From an unbiased, objective viewpoint one would have to agree that craftsman in Mexico and Indonesia are making good guitars. From personal experience I can say that in a recent comparison I preferred a MIM guitar over a custom shop instrument. You have to judge each on its individual merits. They're all made by Fender employees, after all.

Go for the feel and go for the tone. Those are the enduring qualities that will build a happy relationship with your guitar. Spec sheets won't do that.

moosie and NewKid like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.