American made Knife Sharpeners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PhatBoy, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Scottz

Scottz Tele-Holic

I've been buying convex edged knives like Bark River. I only need a leather strop and some fine sandpaper (600-2000 grit)

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To my observation, a manufacturer builds to whatever quality level they choose, not always the lowest or the highest.
    Regardless of country.

Yet many companies switch to Chinese manufacturing to cut cost and boost profit.
    If you ask a factory to make a product cheaply, you will get a cheaply made product!
    You can also ask a company to more carefully engineer the product to ensure it breaks a little after the warranty period ends.

3. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I used to do free hand with one of those, the foldable with red one side green the other side, worked pretty well too

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The CNC machining process is a very small portion of the manufacturing process.
    Yet the CNC is repeatedly held up as leveling the playing field.

Even the worker that picks the chunk of wood to put in the machine has a huge impact on the quality of the guitar.

RLee77 likes this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A serrated blade is really important for some things. The Spyderco unit sharpens them with same ease and speed. I like other blades and I have flat stones too. One has a bevel that works for a serrated blade but it takes more time.

7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

It is working very well for me. Got a nice razor edge on my ka-bar dozier folder, that I recently bought. https://www.kabar.com/products/4062

I originally got the ka-bar because at around $28 delivered, it’s an easy buy, and it’s a solidly reviewed knife, and I was needing something to use while I made the tough decision on which Benchmade knife to get in the $100 - $150 price range. (I blame tdpri for infecting me with the cool knife bug.)

However, after getting and using the Ka-Bar, I like it so much that I’m just going to bide my time before getting anything else. It’s great! For anyone wanting a budget entry into pocket folders, it’s a solid choice.

Boubou likes this.
  8. Boubou

I am glad you like it.
    I have a Ka Bar mini Dozier in my pocket, excellent knife.
    I would say my Benchmade Mini Griptilian is the best knife I ever had. I switch occasionally, I actually was thinking of switching back to the Benchmade.

RLee77 likes this.
  9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yep I’m considering the Griptilian, along with the Bugout 535 and the 940. I like the axis lock mechanism, and that’s a Benchmade exclusive. I’d also like the S30V steel or better. It was interesting reading about the various premium knife steels.

10. Boubou

I bought the cheapest Griptilian, and it seems to me it’s the hardest steel I ever had for a knife, so I am not sure if it’s worth investing more. I am sure those will be of the highest quality though, but they become prohibitively expensive in Canada. Would love to have one customized

11. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Quickest sharpest knives I've ever had... And they hold their edges better than any hand sharpener. 1556891574643.jpg

12. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Got one of these last week. Puts an amazing convex edge on a knife with little effort and time.

13. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just saw this thread. I think I'm familiar with the one you recommended, Boubou. About twice the size of the "pocket" model pictured. I use mine all the time but I think I'll get one of those smaller ones for the truck or the gear bag. Gotta search online for where to buy one, as I didn't know either that they made the smaller size.

Too bad there isn't a "Canadian Tire" store around here, eh Boubou? Bet they stock them. I love that place but every time we drive to visit Montreal my wife gets pissed because I want to stop there. She's usually in more of a "Metropolitan Mood".

Thanks for the heads up RLee!

Boubou and RLee77 like this.
  14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Lowest common denominator... just sayin...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.