American made Knife Sharpeners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PhatBoy, Apr 11, 2019.

1. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Just found out that ‘Smths’(good Chinese name) is made in China.
    Are there any US A companies left? Who?

telestratosonic and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am a fan of worksharp
    https://www.worksharptools.com/
    The guided sharpening system and the guided field sharpener.
    Sharpen a knife in less than 60 seconds.
    Made in the USA (Wherever that is :lol:)

3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Did you mean "Smiths"?
    Did you mean "USA", or "American"?

4. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Yes
    Yes and
    Yes

5. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

zippofan and imwjl like this.
  6. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing like tipping a hand held belt sander on it's side with an 80 grit belt......close shave time

8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

A bench stone and your hands, but watch the bench stones, too - lots of them made in mexico now that norton doesn't make most of their stones (or process them in the case of novaculite) in the US.

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

10. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Sandpaper glued to glass. Run the grits up to 2000 then strop on a double duck leather strop. The blade will cut.

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Boubou likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know where it is made but the Sharpmaker we got around 25+ years ago has been a tremendous tool. As simple as it may look or seem, those angles in the base and stones make a huge difference. We always have sharp serrated knives that surprise people and it does a good job touching up scissors.

13. thebowl

thebowl Tele-Meister

Spyderco’s rods are made with a USA made material. That’s all I can find on mine.

14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Like the dubl duck reference!! Been shaving with a straight razor for about a dozen years now. The old shell strops are nice if they're still in decent condition.

15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

ceramic/alumina - like a coffee mug, but more closely graded. Spyderco's stuff used to be made by Coors ceramic (coorstek). It's still usa made, but someone else makes it as far as I know. Spyderco has often used their brand to put on stuff other people make (nothing wrong with that).

16. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

There are two or three (four?) actively mining novaculite and cutting it into arkansas stones:
    * norton, though I think some of their stones are being finished (cut and shaped) in mexico now
    * dan's whetstone (the best fine stones mined, bar none - but can be expensive - the ones in that link look like at least some are dan's seconds)
    * halls, now called something else (can't remember the name) and sold out of california - still arkansas stone. Good stones, but close to the price of dans and not as good as dans
    * natural whetstone - some stones are good, some are "ok". Their "soft" and "hard" stones are both soft arkansas stones and really pretty good. Their translucent stones are also really good. Their black stones are less expensive, and for good reason.

There's someone else making inexpensive stones sold under "pinnacle" at woodcraft and in other inexpensive listings online. They can be almost unusable for anything, I'd avoid them.

Norton probably still makes waterstones here (but not sure). I'd assume the india stones and crystolon line of stones (both good types for coarse work) are now also made in mexico, they'll say on the side of the stone with their model number information.

Full disclosure, I sold used stones for a while - but not of this type. Rather mostly used vintage japanese natural waterstones.

I do have a gaggle of norton stuff, but I've bought all of it for me. Same with dans.

Never had any of the rods other than small ceramic bits for carving gouges, but no longer use them. The best knife sharpening "device" I've ever had is the norton IM 313 oil bath with a medium crystolon, fine india and dan's hard (not the finest stone they sell, but the second finest). Not a cheap setup, and requires you to learn to sharpen a knife, but will sharpen just about anything and is big, so you can really crank on it. The medium crystolon in an oil bath is an underappreciated stone. It will cut anything and more accurately (presuming user skill) than most people can on a belt sander. It's far faster than any of the rod gizmos.

tery likes this.
  17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

18. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

19. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Here's what I cant figure out.

Lets say you build a product in America with certain materials, certain machinery and dedicated craftsmen who make $40 an hour with benefits that probably equal that.

So what if you take the same materials,and the same machinery over to China and train some guy over there who is just as (Or more) dedicated to do the same job for $40 a month?

How does this product made with the same materials, same machinery and equally dedicated employee become inferior to one made in USA?

jhundt likes this.
  20. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Squier ? … MIM ? … MIA ? … CS ? ….. it is mostly just perception .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.