1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American HS?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JazzDreams, Nov 20, 2012.

1. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

I'm getting to the point where I can really appreciate the "I'm getting my first Tele - which one?" threads. There are apparently a number of more recent models that are no longer made. Anyone familiar with the 'American HS'?

I heard a blues played on it and really liked the sound of the humbucker neck pickup. (Guy's got good chops too, except either I can't hear his looped rhythm track very well or he has no sense of time. The stuff he was playing would be great, if he and his "band' were playing together.... I know- everyone's a critic. )

But I liked the sound a lot - anyone know anything about these? Price-wise where did they fall?

2. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I think the Tele should be aTele and humbucker guitars should be well, something else. But there are the HS arguments and I like Teles for Jazz. YMMV.

3. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

i love the HS model I mistakenly sold mine because it was 8.7 lbs. It was the best sounding tele i ever had. They came out in 2003 but the 2005 and 06 are the better looking and built ones. Then they went away.

Get one if you can. I been looking in Ebay off and on for a while and the early inferior pick guard ones are around. The 05/06 model - humbucker is an Enforcer, are the killer ones. They are super chimey. The mid position is the best chirpy, thick, trumpet sound I ever played. Their colors were kinda lame. Red, black and blue but I had the pewter which is the best color, IMHO.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I remember a pewter one, used, at the Lakeland FL Guitar Center years back marked for $ 400.

These were not well received. If you persist, you should be able to find one very fairly priced, and hopefully you'll like it more than most others do.

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

As Boris says these weren't well received so while there aren't that many of them around they also don't command a high used price.

Fender made SH version of the American Standard/American Series off and on for roughly 8 years or so - I first remember seeing them back in the late 1990s; they messed around with them quite a bit around 2003, doing things like taking the pickguard off for about 6 months and changing the neck pickup and adding the S-1 switch for (I believe) coil splitting.

You could also always try to turn up a Vintage Hot Rod '52 Tele - while mose have a Duncan mini-humbucker (Firebird style) in the neck position some of them have a full-sized humbucker (some of the "ThinSkin" Limited Editions and also there was a "Tele-Bration" version out last year). These have been better received than the SH version of the American Standard/American Series.

For something a bit more off the beaten path there is always the '72 Tele Custom reissue with the Wide Range humbucker in the neck positon and the Les Paul-style controls; the MIM version has been around for quite a while and they briefly made a USA version that was introduced in 2011 but discontinued earlier this year when the new American Vintage series came out.

6. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

This place is fun! Thanks guys-I learned something and this gives me some direction. I understand the whole "Is a Tele really a Tele if it has a humbcker" thing; my reasoning is I (think..) I'd like to use the instrument for several different things. The biggest is the Stax/Volt/R&B sort of tune... and when I got hooked on Cornell Dupree it got me thinking that whatever else I had I had to have a Tele.

Turns out that the stuff that got me interested was not played on a Tele-- it was a Yamaha Pacific - probably the SJ-800 that they made for a while as a signature model. Three pickups- humbucker at the neck, a single coil Strat style in the middle and a single coil bridge p'up.

Fortunately I am not under time pressure and I can keep looking. ;-)

ETA: You're all right- I am not nuts about the colors... why can't they just make everything in Butterscotch Blonde with a black pickguard?

7. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

My favorite out of the four Teles I have.

8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, and why don't we all eat plain oatmeal every day for breakfast? :p

By the way, I do like the Telecaster / humbucker combo as well as the single coil versions.

9. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

Should have mentioned that I am always on the prowl for the HS on ebay and have been noticing lately that they appear less frequently. Think I have seen 4 in the past six months or so. Price seems to be 700 to 800 USD.

I paid about 900 USD for a new one in 2006.

10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Ahem - how about the Hot Rod '52? It's a butterscotch blonde blackguard. Of course it has a fairly fat neck but at least it has the modern radius and frets. As I mentioned there are a few versions that have a full-sized humbucker instead of the mini-bucker on the regular version.

11. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

I'll keep looking -particularly at the Hotrods.

And I get it with the oatmeal-- but I'm saying "as one of the available options... if you want one".

This place is still fun. :D

12. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

13. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Tele-Holic

14. erikro

erikro TDPRI Member

I really like the neck pickup on the CVC. I would rather have a HB in the bridge.

15. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 68 bought new that year, had it routed in 1969 and put in a D'Imarzio PAF so I could cover any type of gig. The original neck pickup didn't really cut it for me.

The guitar worked pretty good for over 40 years until it bit the dust. Keep in mind that the bridge pickup might be under-powered in comparison. Also the regular size humbucker makes the guitar a bit bass-heavy, even for jazz. Can be compensated by dropping bass on the amp a couple of numbers.

I read the mini-humbucker model avoids the bass-heavy problem and that's why it was introduced.

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Road Worn Modern Player has the same Seymour Duncan 59 Humbucker as the Telebration Hot Rods and many of the Humbucker equipped custom shop guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.