1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

American Deluxe Vintage Player 52 Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by hooper2, Jan 6, 2009.

1. hooper2

hooper2 NEW MEMBER!

Hello all,

New to the forum -- I have been reading a lot of stuff here for a while.

My question is about an American Deluxe Vintage Player 52 Telecaster. I saw a Butterscotch one on ebay last week and I did some research to find out what it was... It looks pretty interesting.

To the point, I have found one for sale that seems to have all the same specs -- contoured back, binding, locking tuners, ash body, u-shaped neck BUT it is a sunburst. Anyone know if they made both the sunburst and the butterscotch for this rare model?

The serial number is -- DZ7058298

Any input would be great!!! I really dig the American Deluxe Ash, with the U-shaped neck. On a slightly similar note, would the cutaway affect the tone/sustain vs. the non-cutaway Ash Deluxe?

Thanks!!!

2. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried looking on the Fender website? Their online catalog clearly describes the American Deluxe Ash telecaster, which comes in Butterscotch and Sunburst. The American Deluxe Ash Tele does **not** have a tummy cut, though.

The American Deluxe Tele model, however, does have a tummy cut, but it's made of alder.

Neither of these models is particularly rare.

AFAICT there is no model called "American Deluxe Vintage Player 52 Telecaster", so it's difficult to know just which guitar you're talking about. There's an American Deluxe series, which includes the Ash; there's the American Vintage series, which has an AV 52; and there's the Classic Player series. But the particular combination of terms you used does not appear.

And meaning no disrespect, but please have a look at the Fender website - with a tiny effort you could have discovered the answer to your own question.

3. flt101

flt101 Former Member

i don't know of any american deluxe tele with locking tuners, but it is an american deluxe tele 3tone

4. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

I must admit that I've never heard of that model either. Can you post the eBay link so we can all have a look? (or maybe you don't want us all to know :lol:)

It could, of course, be a sophisticated partscaster. ;)

5. SetYaStraight

SetYaStraight TDPRI Member

I know this thread is 7 years old, but I couldn't NOT respond. Years ago you guys told this guy to do a little searching on the Fender website and save everybody time, and that this model doesn't exist. I hope since then you found out you were wrong! This model absolutely DID exist! It wasn't a "partscaster". It was a very limited USA edition commissioned by Musician's Friend, which is why it didn't appear in their model line-up on the Fender website. I bought one and am now in the process of listing it to sell. A beautiful guitar, by the way.......butterscotch with black binding, locking tuners, and the S-1 system, all in a tweed case. Sold for $1399 at the time and worth every dime! I was surprised to find this thread and the lack of awareness, at least at the time, of this very cool instrument!

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hope you saved all the original paper work that list it with that name and those specs, or can get a validation letter from Fender.
    Otherwise, unless you luck into finding the right buyer, you'll have a hard time getting more than a partscaster price for it.

Good luck.

7. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pic's would be nice.

8. SetYaStraight

Take a look at the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121993854591?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I'm really amazed you guys still don't know about this guitar. I knew it was a limited edition but I never realized it would become so rare no one would know what it was! In any event, take a look at my listing, and you'll see it for yourself. I don't think I need to prove it's not a "partscaster", I think I need to find a buyer who a broader knowledge of the FSR's that Fender has built for the big box stores in the past. This isn't the only one....I personally know of a 1/2 dozen more. Plenty of Strats too. I just sold a pink Strat with lipstick pickups. That one was also available in red and blue, but I liked the pink one best. And there are some Les Pauls as well. A couple sparkle-finish models built for Guitar Center, MF's "brick and mortar" stores. Surely you guys have seen or at least heard of these FSR models commissioned by MF?

9. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for the link.

10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Only 145 of these were made so it IS a very rare guitar,lost between the many FSR models Fender did ,does and will do in the future.

11. SetYaStraight

Ah, so I was wrong about the number built.....I was told it was 100. But I guess 140 still makes it pretty rare! I wonder how they settle on a number like "140", and NOT 100, or 150, etc, etc. It seems like an odd number to make! Anyway, it turns out you guys DO know this Tele after all! Now I just need to find someone who would like to own it! ;)

12. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Bumping. Great info on this thread, but looking for some pictures so I can verify one that I just found.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.