American and English imperial measurements.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Diytelecaster, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Isn't someone going to chime in here and say they don't use no stinkin' ruler, they just do it with the magic feeling in their fingertips. Said fingertips being able to differentiate to the nearest ten thousandths of an inch.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Can't we all just divide and multiply by 10? I do this all day at work.

I have ten toes. Even I can figure it out. I don't have 12 or 36 or 5,280 of any outer body part.

The metric system here shouldn't be just for scientists and drug dealers.

:cool:

41144 and Wallo Tweed like this.
  3. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

I've had the following conversation many times in my head - and someday will actually have it:

Me: I'd like a 16 oz cup of coffee

Starbucks: Is that a Grande?

Me: I don't know.... I want one this 16 oz

SB: Which one is 16 oz?

Me: I want two cups...

SB: Wait... you want two coffees?

Me: No I want one coffee - two cups.

SB: You want it in two cups?

Me: No.... I want two..... Oh never mind - just give me half a liter of coffee

SB: Huh?

Me: Or... 500 milliliters....

SB: .........

Me: OK... just give me a pint of coffee....

SB: .........

Me: Fine.... just give me the Grande!

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I use the penny, nickel, dime technique, so who cares?

During my career as an engineer, our company converted to metric about the same time as the U.S. was trying to convert to metric on our highways. Anyway, we had to convert our drawings to metric, but the moldmakers would convert back to inches for machining the tooling. It was a fiasco of losing tolerances to no end.

The world should have just gone metric back in 1799 when it officially started, but nooooo, everyone has to be different.:cry::lol::confused::oops::rolleyes::eek::lol:;)o_O

41144 and Wallo Tweed like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

4/64 and 6/64 makes sense in this context because some "other guitar" measurements are 5/64. This way the denominator is always the same.

I get the point though.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

On the other hand, when you look at nut widths in inches, it's 1 5/8, 1 11/16 and 1 3/4 :mad:

7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

It's rules of significant figures.

While 4/64 = 1/16.... if you're given 4/64 you need to be accurate to 1/64. If given 1/16 accurate to 1/16...

Same with decimals.. If I give you .2 and .20000 first instance demands .1 accuracy and latter .00001.

Something like that...

TEX

AAT65 likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

For .2 versus .20000 I kinda agree.

Specifying .2 means that if you round to one decimal place it should round to .2, so .15 <= x < .25

Specifying .20000 means that if you round to five decimal places it should round to .20000, so .199995 <= x < .200005

9. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

All this math is giving me a headache

HEAD.jpg

10. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Yes. That's what I note. I used and still use both systems. But I must confess that working in metric is much easy for me, because it's "native" (France).

"Metric is precise, Imperial is approximative", if I can say so... :confused:

I mean :

15" speakers often doesn't measure exactly 15 * 25.4 = 381.0mm at their external diameter.
    (1" = 25.4mm)

There is several types of 3" pipes, depending on their thickness. We find here 76.2x2.0, 2.2, 2.5, 2.7, 3.2, 4, 4.5, 5, 6.3, 7, 8, 10, etc...

A 24"3/4 scale guitar is about 628.65mm lenght.

-tbln

41144 likes this.
  11. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I decided to use modern tools, to solve the Imperial units dilemma. I opened up an Excel spreadsheet, and punched in 4/64, to get the decimal equivalent of the fractional inch measurement.

Excel returned the answer: 0.06250000000000003.

Problem solved! :D

12. BigDaddyLH

Err, you know 4/64 is exactly 0.0625? That 3 hanging out there is a leetle digital fuzz?

MickM, tubelectron and beach bob like this.
  13. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I guess you never encountered Excel's little calculation error. Supposedly it was fixed some time ago. But I don't know much.
    :rolleyes:

If ya have to explain the joke, it kind of ruins it.. o_O

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

imperialsystem1.jpg

This was in memes today.
    Just saying.

41144, BorderRadio and beach bob like this.
  15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

It always helps to remember the original reason for the Imperial system. The reason was the beauty of the number 12.
    It can evenly be divided by 2, 3, 4, and 6. So if something is a foot long it is very easy to divide in half, thirds, or quarters
    with no higher math needed. Before there were things like tape measures and calibrated beakers this made it easier to
    buy and sell goods, which often requires divvying things up into smaller amounts.

There are a lot of measurements that don't make sense to us anymore- rods, furlongs, etc., etc. But they all made
    common sense at the time. For example an acre was about the amount of land that could be plowed in a day:

From Wiki:

Derived from Middle English aker (from Old English aecer) and akin to Latin ager (“field”), the acre had one origin in the typical area that
    could be plowed in one day with a yoke of oxen pulling a wooden plow. The Anglo-Saxon acre was defined as a strip of land 1 × 1/10 furlong,
    or 40 × 4 rods (660 × 66 feet).

upload_2019-7-3_9-24-48.png

The metric system makes perfect sense, too, of course.

41144, beach bob and Texicaster like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

Unless you want to divide by 10 :mad:

tubelectron likes this.
  17. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Be interesting to know what the world-wide sales of Fender guitars are to those solely in the USA?
    ie ... Rest of the world, to my knowledge, expects/quite happy with SI/metric units anyway?

Personally, buying any new guitar or certainly before setting a guitar up for the 1st time ... I convert any inches measurements to mm as that's what all my tools are in.
    I know there'll be nay sayers on that this side of the pond too ... but if you've worked in metric all your life going back to imperial units is just too alien for me.
    (And, just to add that touch of frisson here ... i don't feel the need to buy my apples in lbs, petrol in gallons or cables in yards!

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Dividing by 10 is always easy. Just move the decimal over one place. 12/10 is just as easy as 10/10.

As far as Fender measurements go, all I care about is whether I have the right Allen key to adjust the truss rod. Everything else- action height, truss
    rod flex, radius of bridge saddles, etc., I measure by eyeball and feel. Don't need a ruler for any of that. I do have a straight edge that sometimes is helpful, but it doesn't need
    any actual rulings on it to do the job.

I have to generally agree that in modern times fractions are annoying. I would be perfectly happy to measure everything in decimal terms. I am constantly converting between the two.
    For example, in traditional navigation you have degrees/minutes/seconds. 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in a degree. A minute of latitude works out to exactly 1 nautical mile,
    which is what a nautical mile comes from. A knot is one nautical mile per hour (around 1.2 statute miles an hour). Anyway, since I work in oceanography I am constantly having to convert
    among decimal degrees, degrees with decimal minutes, or degrees and minutes with decimal seconds, or traditional degrees/minutes/seconds to other formats. If you get it wrong or
    don't pay attention you can end up making big mistakes, just as when a moon probe augured into the moon. From October 1, 1999:

NASA lost its $125-million Mars Climate Orbiter because spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to
    metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched, space agency officials said Thursday.

A navigation team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory used the metric system of millimeters and meters in its calculations, while Lockheed Martin Astronautics in Denver,
    which designed and built the spacecraft, provided crucial acceleration data in the English system of inches, feet and pounds.

As a result, JPL engineers mistook acceleration readings measured in English units of pound-seconds for a metric measure of force called newton-seconds.

In a sense, the spacecraft was lost in translation.

19. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Well, yes... At least it's not immediate for us in Europe, or not "natural", so to speak. You must have in mind some pre-converted values, even approximative : 1" = 25.4mm, 10" = 254mm, 24" = circa 610mm, 12" = 1ft = 304.5mm, 1m is circa 3.3ft, 10ft is circa 3m, etc.. At least, that's my way to go.

That said, inch fractions are for me the most difficult to apprehend instantly. For example, 59/64" and 15/16" doesn't speak well to me... Conversely 0.921875mm and 0.9375mm are more representative to me.

Let's also say that 24"3/4 and 25"1/2 are a bit more easy to understand by the profane if they are written under the "inch-decimal" way : 24.75" and 25.5".

Guys : just for my curiosity and knowledge, how would you convert exaclty 1mm in inch fraction ? I mean : other than writing 1/25.4" or 0.039370079" ? o_O

-tbln

20. BigDaddyLH

Area is so easy to picture in metric: a hectare is 100m x 100m. An acre is, what, the amount of land a yoked brace of oxen pulling a wooden plow can turn over in a day? A furlong by a chain or something like that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.