Amazon "Pill Pack" Rx Service

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Sep 17, 2019.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I just got an email announcing PillPack. It's a service where Amazon ships all your daily meds for a 30 day period and all the pills are combined and prepackaged to be taken at the right time of day.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...channel=email_cmbv1pumdrc_190827&tag=tdpri-20

[​IMG]

Amazon is getting involved in prescription drug sales.

I use the Walgreens App on my iPhone and I think it's brilliant. The Amazon offering seems amazing to me. I'm very familiar with the auto-bagging and printing equipment for bagging all the meds (I work in packaging) but the number of different pills that they have to introduce to the bagger is incredible. This seems very modernistic. Amazon is making it easier again. Just tear open the bag and take you Amazon PillPack when you wake up in the morning.

I think it's cool and a little scary.

Last week I was happy because I ordered DMX cables on Friday and the package arrived on Saturday (no charge). Now it's medication. I wonder what market they'll take over next.

2. electrichead

electrichead TDPRI Member

That's great but Amazons private delivery service sucks..They cant even manage to deliver cat food to the right house. Medication no thank you..What if it gets lost..Whole bag o worms there my friend....cat food gets lost they send you another bag..Prescription medication doesn't work like that..

3. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Makes ya wanna invest in trucks and shipping. Still going to be a huge industry into the future. But I like the idea but again what are the safeguards?

electrichead and Bassman8 like this.
  4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First thing I thought when I saw this is when is the first case of someone getting the wrong pills going to happen?

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 Me too. Not to mention the first day they miss shipping for a variety of reasons.

rolandson likes this.
  6. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

They should send a nurse along with it.

7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

After watching Amazon leave a package addressed to me on my neighbor's front porch this afternoon, I don't want Bezos anywhere near my medications.

I have as much faith in him as I do Zuckerberg.

Piggy Stu, Pualee, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

^ Exactly. I don't think I would trust Amazon with medications.

nojazzhere, JayFreddy and rolandson like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm surprised they haven't streamlined it by combining all the meds into one big pill.

Go easy on those meds. I have only taken meds a couple times in my life. About the same amount of times I've visited a doctor.

rolandson likes this.
  10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

The issues with this type of service are legion. You join the service an order your packets. Tomorrow the Doc adjusts the strength of one med. Now you've got to go through all of the packets and get rid of the old strength. OR... Amazon accidentally leaves out a med from your packets. You need that med NOW but a local pharmacy can't get access to that prescription because Amazon is holding it. OR... You find a great coupon on a med but Amazon isn't participating so you have to buy it locally and dispense it yourself along with the packet. OR... Amazon says they sent your meds but they don't show up. Now how do you get them?

My wife is a pharmacy tech. These are the mail order med problems she deals with every single day. It is just like a guitar shop: If you do it mail order, you'll have to take any problems back to the local shop. Complications will arise because you did it mail order in the first place, only these complications affect your health.

Bob

Stubee, '64 Tele, tap4154 and 2 others like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

A couple weeks ago, there was a small padded mailing envelope in my mailbox. It was from the local community hospital, and I could feel a pill bottle inside. It had my house number on the address, but a street two blocks over from me. Since I thought someone might need the medicine soon, I didn't want to just wait and give it back to mail carrier the next day (or whenever....I don't always get mail every day) I jumped in the car and drove over to the correct house. No one was home, (or at least didn't answer door) so I left it inside the screen, and assume they got it.
    What if I hadn't been so thoughtful? (patting myself on back) Someone would have missed their meds. I'll rely on USPS or UPS for book, guitar parts, or sock deliveries.....but medicine I'd rather pick up myself.
    P.S. since it came through regular mail, I'm guessing it wasn't a controlled substance or anything critical......but who would know?

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Dinner by delivery truck
    Flowers by delivery truck
    Pills by delivery truck
    Pet food by delivery truck
    Human interaction by delivery truck

studio1087 likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The system failure points are numerous.

But also with the current pharmacies ... went to the regular chain one and they were out, no resupply until the following week. They looked up and found a store two towns over that had just enough for a partial fill, I think in capsules not tablets even. So drive over there.

Having aging parents and family ... Retirement is really just a job change into implementing the nuances of the medical industry.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

This'll bring out more porch pirates.

nojazzhere and studio1087 like this.
  15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

If I wasn't clear......I'm skeptical

I'm very skeptical.

The dispenser packs are going to ship in a common box size. Even with a required signature upon delivery it still seems like a remarkable theft target. The mechanical task of organizing all those different items into a vertical bagger and getting every item dump correct seems very difficult (you'd need 100% accuracy - these are drugs). God forbid that the wrong combination of pills or the wrong number of pills get dropped into one of grandma's 60 monthly baggies.

I pick up my insulin at Walgreens. Postal insulin (the idea) frightens me. I shoot the stuff into my stomach with a needle.

Perhaps I'm a curmudgeon. It just seems like something from a Sci Fi movie....."Look dear......next month's pill packets are here for you. Just the tear the top off and eat what's in the bag when you wake up every day".

[​IMG]

nojazzhere and uriah1 like this.
  16. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I would love to have a service like that, if it worked well. My wife has a regimen that requires 105 pills per week, taken in a specific order at specified times during the day. I spend the better part of an hour every Sunday morning getting all the little pills out of the blister packs and into the right little sections of her 7-day pill-box. Lately the doctors have been tweaking the doses - one of the potential problems mentioned above - and now I have to cut several of the tiny tablets in half, too... not easy for an old guy with bad eyesight and clumsy old fingers!

uriah1 likes this.
  17. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Amazon for prescription service? We have great choices:

We have Aetna for medical insurance. CVS bought Aetna. So, our choice is "Use CVS, or pay out-of-pocket anywhere else you choose".​

CVS doesn't carry what you need? You have lots of choices of places to go and pay out-of-pocket.

I would be worried "someone else", AKA anyone else, would not get things right, use the wrong generic, etc. The proper controls are not there.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

Many good reasons above for why I'll always go thru the local retail pharmacy if possible. A few years back a prior employer's medical insurance forced me to go thru their mail-order pharmacy supplier. I hated it with a passion. But they penalized you if you got recurring refills at retail, so yes, we were coerced into using them.

uriah1 likes this.
  20. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

why would anyone want to give Amazon their personal health information?

unixfish and JL_LI like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.