1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amazon is so helpful! Scam

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I got an e-mail from Paypal two days back saying I had uncollected funds that were going to get released to the state if I didn't do anything. I hovered on the links and they said Paypal.

This is not the address I usually use for Paypal. I went to Paypal separately and tried to log in with this account. I didn't have the right password but I retrieved it. I logged in an lo and behold I had forgotten about setting up Paypal with this e-mail and had a WHOPPING $2.96 I had TOTALLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT IN ALL THE HUBBUB. And admittedly there has been a fair amount of both hub and bub since 2015. I transferred it to my bank account.

Phew! That was close!

I'm with you on the scam calls though. I don't answer anything I don't recognize.

telemnemonics, dented and posttoastie like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I started getting those a few months back. Beware indeed!

dented likes this.
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've been getting the Amazon phone calls too. Amazon have no access to my landline number.

dented likes this.
  4. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

I get them too. I ever got one call from my own number! Annoying as hell especially since I've probably silenced some legitimate calls because of these bastards! I'm a recently retired IT professional that had telecommunications responsibilities for a few years. This BS could be stopped, there's a few different ways to do it, it's just that there's no money in stopping it. It would require some considerable expenditures from from the telco's, that the Feds would have to mandate, but what's the return on that expenditure?

dented likes this.
  5. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Our phone allows you to block calls. Very handy!

dented likes this.
  6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Problem solved:

Settings>Phone>Silence Unknown Callers
    upload_2021-4-2_7-47-7.png

dented likes this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don’t take calls from anyone not on my contact list. I don’t return calls unless a message is left with a clear explanation of why I need to return the call. Since I got my new phone in December, I’ve returned one call.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    darkwaters and dented like this.
  8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately I have to answer my phone. I cannot let everything go to VM. I know how to block numbers and I've blocked dozens. I know how the scams work also. But I just retired. Within the last month I have dealt with Social Security, Medicare, Retirement office at my previous employer, Healthcare Insurance, Moving companies, Real Estate agents in 3 different states and so on. To not answer puts me at a disadvantage. Some of these "official" entities also are not calling from 800 numbers. Social Security called me from a Texas area code but the lady that called was in Orange County, California where I live! But that Amazon scam group was getting me ticked off. Time to do something official. We can't be subjected to that crap. I hope it doesn't happen to you. I can just see those sniveling callers. What we wouldn't give to find out where they are. :mad:

darkwaters, CCK1 and JL_LI like this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Congrats on your retirement. I left the workforce on Jan 1. I planned ahead but it still took three months to reset phone, email, and banking. Other financial readjustments will take until this time next year. My wife is an insurance agent so Medicare and annuities are under control. We’re not planning on moving but my wife has adopted the HGTV life style. I hope Amazon scammers are the worst you encounter in your transition to retirement. All the best, brother.

dented likes this.
  10. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I got an obviously-not-from-amazon text this am w a clickable link. Do you guys think I should click on it?

11. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

Only solution is to block unknown callers. Most of these won't leave a message but when they do it's still a pita to waste time on it. Phone companies can fix this right now but they won't because they make money off those calls. Best thing YOU can do as a consumer is switch your retail cell service company and get one on the second tier. They cost half the monthly rates.

12. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Robocalls happen to everyone, and they’re a nuisance.

An elegant solution consisting of a single sliding switch in settings was offered and rejected. OP’s stubbornness is leading him on a venture that will be Quixotic at best.

Additionally, changing your phone # in 2021 is several magnitudes easier than getting a new credit card number, and I’ve done both.

13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I don’t answer any number I don’t recognize. If they don’t leave a message, I block the number.

Harbinger77 likes this.
  14. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You want to experience scammers by the thousands? Try Facebook. They have absolutely taken over that aggravating pile of poo.

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm amazed that people think asking solicitors to take their number off some list is a real thing.

Quit answering your phone to numbers you dont know. This isnt the 70's.

Harbinger77 likes this.
  16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

same here....

landline, I just pick it up, say nothing, and it hangs up.... once you speak first it clicks you through to an operator.

don't say "hello"..... that's their ticket in...... if it is someone legit they usually state their purpose/who they are from the start, let them speak first if they can....

or answer in a language other than english....

bender66 likes this.
  17. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

If you have to answer your phone once the scammer says they are from Amazon, in a polite but relentless voice tell them you are from Microsoft and you are calling to let them know there is a virus on their computer and just keep at it until they hang up, or try to sell them an extended warranty on their car ect...

18. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

Believe it or not, there are some guys who actually PREY on these scammers:

bender66 likes this.
  19. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

With call display as a feature these days why is anyone answering calls that they don't recognize or isn't a number/name they have in their phone? I NEVER do. Makes life much simpler.

bender66 likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

This is part of the price we pay for welcoming online retail to replace brick & mortar in our communities.

I never use Amazon but my wife does, the only retailer that has her card info.
    Her bank acct has been cleaned out twice in the past year.
    AFAIK she never answers her phone or even reads texts.
    Married a vagabond...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.