1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amazed at the value

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by graybeard65, Dec 16, 2019.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Spotted this listing from a respectable, legitimate dealer, that I trust to know the value of such things - I had NO idea just how valuable things like this are!
    79839D57-976B-44D7-B538-B6DEE94D095D.jpeg

Dismalhead and nojazzhere like this.
  2. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

7BE5B24D-F2FB-4DB8-8450-3A8BEC5E70E9.png ...and another one that just amazed me. I’m as astonished that there are instruments in this price range as I am that there are buyers that can plunk down $97K for a guitar.

I’d be terrified to play it -

3. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Only that valuable if you find someone to pay that much.

4. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

I dunno - they seem to be finding them still, at least for now. I personally don't see the point of buying something at that price point, without ever intending to play it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister

I once played the '59 Peter Green Les Paul...the million dollar one now owned by Kirk Hammett

It was at the Dallas Guitar Show and when I walked by it NO ONE was around. I literally picked it up, started strumming, got the feel and put it back :)

I did not like it. The strings were a mile off the fretboard! It renewed my love for my Studio back home

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The tone is in the pickup ring?
    I wonder who keeps parting out these 58/59 les pauls.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

A comedian had a line about if someone gave you a $35,000 box to deliver across town in your car you'd drive carefully so you didn't break it ... but then they drive their $35,000 car like it's worth nothing.

graybeard65 likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

They say there are 4,000 58/59 Les Pauls still out in circulation that the factory only ever built 2,000 of...

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds tempting to start building 58/59 les paul pickup rings. One a week should cover the bills.:twisted::)
    There seems to be some stiff competition though.

A real 59 owner might be tempted to buy that one listed if he just broke the pickup ring on his 59 which would probably be very easy to do considering the age of them.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    aging_rocker and graybeard65 like this.
  10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Guitars like these are for having, not playing. I've had a similar experience with several super valuable, "Holy Grail" guitars. You pick them up and you can immediately tell that they haven't been tuned, adjusted, or had their strings changed in ages. They just get passed around from collector to collector and have the dust blown off of them every so often for photographs.

To be fair though, Kirk Hammett does play the Peter Green LP regularly. Too bad that poor guitar is run through his massive tone-sucking live rig and is subjected to going "wheedly-wheedly-wheedly" night after night.

Bonamassa takes his vintage pieces out on the road too...but we talk enough about him on here already.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  11. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I have a picture of my daughter holding a guitar that was handed to her by a man that curates a famous collection 7A0F1A7D-B5CA-4F1D-B10E-8D400FE3485D.jpeg (expressly for the pic)

as she was standing there holding it, he was telling the story of the company and the design process, and how they built just a few prototypes, etc...and he then shared the sale price of one of the prototypes that had sold at auction.

As he shared this, he casually mentioned that the guitar that she was holding was one of that same group of prototypes.

the price quoted was 4 times the value of our home.

The look on her face as she hurriedly handed him the valuable instrument was priceless.

12. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Original Shelby Cobras have the same affliction. I've seen them listed for sale as having been driven at Le Mans, in years when no Cobras ran at Le Mans. Maybe a fan who went to the race drove it to the parking lot? With that philosophy, anyone who owns a '59 Les Paul could have an endless supply of authentic parts. Put on a new pickup ring, strum a few chords, take it off -- instant '59 pickup ring!

13. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

My Dad was in the car business...same sort of thing now with old car prices. I've often said if I knew then what I know now, I'd have rented a warehouse and stored a bunch of them (but I still wouldn't have been smart enough to buy IBM, Berkshire Hathaway, Apple...etc, etc...). LOLo_O.

14. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Dave’s is a great establishment. I’ve never been to that room when I’ve been there, sounds like a cool experience.

Stuff sells quick there and usually their prices are competitive. Some poor soul with a swapped out pickup ring on his ‘59 will be overjoyed!

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

graybeard65 likes this.
  16. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

To be totally honest, if I had a 59 right now, I'd be replacing the little plastic thingies that hold the pickups in place with some nice new Chinese ones and putting the originals on eBay faster than I can type this. Seriously.

17. MattyK-USA

And you'd be taking a guitar worth 550K-750K and taking at least 100K off its value by doing so :)

Straydogger likes this.
  18. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

I might be out of line but....how in the world would you even go about trying to verify that that pickup ring is from an actual 59?

19. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

And the idea that a couple of bits of cheap old brittle plastic could have that much effect on the value of a guitar is why I would never entertain the idea of getting involved in that sort of nonsense, no matter how much money I had.;)

It's a guitar, not the Venus de Milo.

nojazzhere and The Angle like this.
  20. MattyK-USA

Hey bro, it's your money - you go do you! :)

aging_rocker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.