Am Orig 60s Tele thinline arrived last night, couple small issues

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by darylcrisp, Sep 18, 2020.

1. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

picked up the 70s Custom AO back in feb/march, really like this tele in every way. it arrived as perfect as an instrument could be. all i did was remove a little relief, adjust pickup heights just a little, action height a little, and its been nothing but wonderful. rich, thick tone, i think of it as "milk chocolate" in tone. pickups are hum free, controls work smooth as silk, has a lot of tonal opportunity with the dual controls.

had taken a PRS CE 24 in on an acoustic trade before the 70's buy and that kinda started things up. always been an acoustic sort of player, always thought a tele looked uninteresting. but one night many years ago, when fender had released the GE Smith tele, i watched him talk about it. that put a spark in my thoughts way back. I've always enjoyed the style/sound of GE Smith.

the CE 24 i have is a fine example of a USA built PRS. but after receiving the 70's Custom, this tele just fit me perfect in every way. the neck shape, the string spacing, the tone, it all just felt right, from the start. so the CE 24 has been relegated to spending time in its case since the tele arrived.

always liked the looks, and typically the slightly different tone a semi hollow body brings to the player. so i started thinking, looking, listening, researching. the 60's AO thinline looked extremely interesting and i liked what i heard on soundclips. plus the differences of having very different pickups, different body woods(alder vs ash), solid vs semi hollow. plus, i like light weight, i just do. i play seated always so its not a huge thing that is considered, but it is a plus for me.

caught a glimpse of the natural and surf colored models at sweetwater, took a few days to decide but landed with the green surf-mainly because it listed as a couple oz lighter, and another thing was the natural looked really glossed up in some videos i watched, just a little too much shine for me.

this 60 AO arrived last night. I've had a really hard, busy workweek and definitely on the brain dead side of life right now. but i had to plug it up just to see how it sounded. it was 3am when the chance came, i was probably at about 53% of my internal charge, but i could tell the pickups suited me really well, were definitely different enough to immediately know i would have two very different toned tele's.
    i would consider this 60 AO thinline as "dark chocolate with raspberry crème blended". not being into the twang side of tele's, i tend to drift towards the mid and neck positions. this 60 model did not disappoint. i could tell it was lighter, and it had been listed in the mid 6 lb range. weighed on my digital scale it was 7lbs. hum, couple oz heavier than listed on the website-but the pickups sounded fine-huge plus. neck felt good, but different(more on that), and there was this very apparent crackle at both ends of the tone knob. assuming a good cleaning will make this disappear.

that was about all i could do sitting upright, almost ready to fall over, so i left it till morning.

today i felt the string spacing was tighter at the nut end and measured it and sure enough it was. in fact the low E is cut so it is 1/4" inboard!! the high e is fine, but the low E position makes the string set tighter. i measured the difference between the 70 vs 60 and right off i can't remember, but enough to know what i felt was correct. so a new nut needs to be cut. the close up of the headstock actually shows this inboard spec pretty well. V2088520-front-xlarge.jpg

feel wise, and looking, i could see there was too much relief in the neck, quite a bit too much, so TR adjustment is needed for sure, and 6 frets need a level.

i haven't spent but maybe 15 min total with it(at work again), but this weekend i will spend more time and take care of the issues. I'm hoping i don't find more squirrels in the tree. if things keep coming i may just send it back. being a listed $1999 guitar, the nut, the fret levels, should not happen. now i didn't pay that full price, the deal i received is fair, and i can easily take care of all the small issues, assuming a cleaning takes care of the tone pot noise. but, my time is so limited and all this will take me a couple hours to go thru and clean up.

in the end, i feel the real important qualities are there-the tone, the pickups sound great. and its so different from my 70 model as to not really duplicate anything. these two offer me a full spectrum of sound. oh, the neck fit at the pocket is excellent, as is the rest of the guitar(unless if find more when i spend time with it). and one can always send one back and get worse(as in bad pickups, neck fit, etc). these things i have to deal with are minor.

will update after the weekend and hopefully after I've had time to set it up and fix these things, and hopefully report a clean bill of health.

i know its best to play one before you buy, but where i live, the most close shop that would have anything of this caliber is around 2.5 hrs away, so i have to ship in anything i buy. typically i end up with fine instruments. rarely have had one that had to been shipped back.

i think this one only had a 40 step setup before it shipped, vs the advertised 55(I'm trying to be funny)

here are a few shop pics

TeleDoug, Greggorios and Old Plank like this.
  2. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

3. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

V2088520-detail1-xlarge.jpg

Fretting out likes this.
  4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The nut and pot would bother me on that calibre guitar. Fret work is par for the course - some need it, some don’t. But you are right - pretty minor stuff. Nice looking guitar for sure!

5. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Lots to digest.

Hasty decisions and all that.

Sorry I'm slow on the uptake right now.

6. Siamese

Siamese TDPRI Member

I fell asleep before you got to the point.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  7. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yep, the nut would annoy me.

You might be able to solve your crackling problem with F5?

It could be wise to avoid doing anything at all and get an accurate issues count.

8. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

I want this guitar congrats

9. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Ok, so you bought a brand new guitar and you're already saying the nut is unacceptable and there's bad pots? Just return it and be done with it. Or exchange it.

10. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

+1

xtelesquirex likes this.
  11. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

When I bought my AO50s Tele the tone pot gave up after a couple of days. Took it back to Manson's where I got it and Hugh Manson fixed in ten minutes.

xtelesquirex likes this.
  12. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

looks very sweet. the eccentricities seem like relatively easy fixes
    i was very surprised and impressed with the mim 69 thinline reissue
    the mim thinline ri was shockingly close to identical in feel and tone to my original 68 thinline
    the only slightly notable difference was that the 68 had a "B" neck. i think yours is quite beautiful
    congrats

13. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Looks like a great guitar. I hope it works out for you. Congrats!

If you happened to get it from a retailer that ships bags of candy with their instruments, I had to replace a piece of equipment from them recently. I spoke over the phone about the problem and 2-days later I had a replacement. IF, and let's hope it doesn't need to happen, you must exchange it I'm positive you can have someone double-check things before it goes out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.