Am I Wrongly Ignoring My Bridge Pickup?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Larmo63, Feb 6, 2020.

1. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Through a clean Fender tube amp, I’ve found I prefer bridge or both on a Tele now and on the Strat neck and/or middle. I even have a nice APC in the Tele neck. It’s like the guitars are polar opposites when it comes to pickup selections.

2. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Coffee spit take across breakfast table! Exactly!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

“You’re only as old as she feels.”

(that’s what I tells myself anyways)

I realized that with the neck pickup what I really want is an ES330

the bridge is where it’s at with Tele

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, my signal level is at the mercy of the sound guy, so I don't worry about ripping anyone's face off or making their ears bleed (well, maybe the latter with some of my bad playing!). But I find on certain things, I cut through the house and the monitors better on the bridge pickup or the series position. Still, I find I use the neck and parallel positions occasionally too. Never say never. One of the things I love about teles generally and my teles with 4-ways specifically, is how versatile they are. I have one of those double-sided Mono cases and we have a double-sided guitar stand near my spot on stage, so I could definitely bring 2 guitars, but I just haven't needed to. Teles rock! (and praise!).

GuitarKid likes this.
  5. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I wasn't a big fan of the Tele bridge pup until I got a Baja. Great sound played wide open with a hint of gain. Now I happily use all of the switch positions during rhythm and lead playing.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, the N + B in series (in phase) can supplant the usual King (the bridge pickup alone). I end up using N + B in series and the Bridge, far more than any of the other positions when I reach for a Baja.

7. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Here is my solution to this struggle -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Si G X likes this.
  8. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I rarely use the neck pickup on my Telecasters. And never use them on my Les Paul Jr’s.

Si G X likes this.
  9. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

I'm the opposite. I use my neck pickup sometimes to be less prominent in the mix or to be more wooly. I don't think it's wrong, just preference.

I started thinking about how Jimi Hendrix is associated with the neck pickup. He uses the bridge a fair amount as well.

10. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I recommend this approach as well. Especially if you never use the Tone control with the neck pickup, why not try it where it makes the most sense? I've wired two of my guitars this way. The other one is a Squier Strat with ceramic pickups, so even the neck needs a little taming...

11. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

IDK, I user both, and in church. I have one Tele wired with a 5-way so I get the three Esquire sounds along with the neck-bridge combo and the neck by itself. I even use the bridge with no tone at all for some chord work...

Indeed, I have a Strat that I build with normal Strat neck and middle pickups, but a Tele bridge. Glendale guitars used to make a Strat term with a 3-barrel Tele-style saddle that I used on that guitar. Really like that one. I have a couple other normal Teles as well, and they all get both pickups used singly and together. Yes I use tone on both the amp and the guitar, so there is that.

12. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Okay, I have my Carr Mercury and my Tweed Blonde 20 Carl's amp playing in stereo using the bridge pickup.

I'm starting to feel the snappiness of bridge p/u on my '12 AV.

This thread has actually helped me see the light!!!!!

13. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I definitely use the bridge pickup more than anything, especially for rhythm playing. Even with volume or tone rolled down, which I definitely do not consider necessary for rhythm work as a lot here seem to, it maintains a lot of clarity and articulation. So, you never end up just taking space in a bad way way, if that makes sense.

Besides, it's always easier to set your amp a touch bright for really cutting leads when you need it and just keep your tone rolled back a bit otherwise. Can always deaden a guitar, much harder to brighten its natural sound. Probably why I spent years trying to find the "right" Les Paul only to find them all too wooly.

14. Evil Funk

Evil Funk Tele-Meister

I never used my bridge pickup until i got my Zwreck. Now i use them about equal.

15. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I’m not a bridge pickup guy either, and that’s why I recently sold my last tele and came to terms with the reality that I’m just not a tele guy. The bridge pickup is the heart and soul of a tele. I did love the sound of a bridge pickup with some gain on it and the tone backed off a decent amount - great lead sound. Lotta balls in that pickup. But I NEVER found a use for a clean tele bridge pickup - that’s where the the tele’s famous “twang” lives and I’m not a twang guy. And I didn’t use that big bite of a gained up lead sound that much either...

That’s why I always seemed to play a strat instead of a tele when I had both and why now I’m just a strat guy. The neck pickup and the two “in between” settings are the heart of a strat, so you can play a strat for decades, almost never use the bridge pickup alone, and not be missing much. If you have a really good strat bridge pickup and wire it in with a tone control, it can be used like a less ballsy tele bridge pickup, but it’s never gonna be confused as the strength of the guitar...

I enjoyed teles a lot when I haven’t had a strat around, but almost never played them when I had a strat nearby, dor the same reason you’re talking about. Yu may want to try some other guitars... Because you’re missing out on the best part of the tele...

-Ray

16. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

I haven’t read anyone’s responses, but I’ll chime in and say, use that tone knob to the fullest. I was like you for years. In fact I always replaced the bridge pup with a single coil sized Humbucker. Not that I won’t do that again, but I recently (finally) discovered the magic of working that tone knob with the stock Fender bridge pup. Have fun experimenting!!

17. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

Uh.....YES!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.