1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I way overpaying for this Nocaster???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cschlish, Feb 11, 2013.

1. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Very difficult to sell guitars these days, without going through Ebay and I prefer not too. Everyone on the Forums is trading these days and don't want to put out of pocket expenses. Can't say I blame them, I'm doing the same thing.:lol:

2. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the Thought, only problem is I can't really play it. I mean once I commit to a six hr round trip drive, I'm not going home without it...

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

If he's looking at one of the newest versions of a 51 Relic those are selling for $3900 new so $3000 for a mint condition used one with the case, COA, and all the case candy isn't out of line.

The original versions sold for around $2500 and those are out there for $1500 to $2000 but I doubt the newer ones they just reintroduced are that cheap. I wouldn't make that trade but if the OP says what he has is worth $3k then I can see where the seller is coming from.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

That's it in a nutshell. If you go to the Wildwood site you'll see a dozen or more newer Relics with 6105 frets listed for $3899. So if that one is the same then $3000 used/mint with all the goodies is probably around the typical asking price. I can't see somebody paying that much for one and only taking $1500-$2000 of it in cash or trade.

5. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Nocaster!

Got this Nocaster for 1,800 bucks last Nov. Just look around a bit. Good luck!

Attached Files:

6. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    In your mind you have purchased it.

;)

Get off the fence and go get it.

7. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

8. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Your Right Buckocaster:D I'm just waiting for him to get back to me on what year it is and maybe have him take a close up pic of the Frets, my only hang up on one is I want bigger Frets...

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

That is not a guitar I would trade away.

10. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

The words "refin" and "PU change" are not normally used in the same sentence as "near mint condition". Luckily in this case they're in two separate sentences. :)

Actually I'm planning on selling my '79 and I was thinking I'd be lucky to get $1400 - $1500 for it. After reading your post I can see myself lighting Cuban cigars with $100 bills in the very near future.

11. Sixer

Sixer TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

If you're not 110% sure, DON'T DO IT!!!

Don't let GAS get the best of you.

12. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

.......I got a 1978 Fender Tele that plays like a Custom Shop Model with one of the most AMAZING 52' size Neck Profiles I've come across,.........

Yeah, if it had Medium Jumbo Frets I prefer, I probably wouldn't be...But, either way, to get the Custom Shop Tele & Historic R8 or R9 I want, got no choice but to sacrifice my 78' Tele and my 66' Deluxe Reverb.:(

13. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

If you open it up to the entire World through Ebay Torz, than spark that Cuban! If your just gonna go through Forums and Craigslist, than your gonna get nothin but Trade offers, with maybe an extreme lowball cash offer mixed in.:p

14. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

I agree that he's asking a little much.

15. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Well Crap! It's a unplayed 2005 Model, with vintage frets and 7.5 radius...It was advertised as a New model w/2012 specs:(

Well maybe I'll offer the Burny and a Nice Seafoam Green Strat I have, which would be similar value to the 05' Nocaster. Then see if I can get along with the Vintage Frets, I don't mind the 7.5 Radius cause I play with higher action anyway. At that price, I could do a refret if I loved everything else and decided it was gonna be a keeper.

Thanks again for all the Input Guys!!!

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Not knowing your amp situation I wouldn't be trading away a good amp. I look at it like this.. If a great guitar will sound meh on a so-so amp. On a great amp even a department store learners guitar can sound great.

I have owned a 73 strat for almost 40 years, I love it but compared to what I can buy new for $1200 it's not a great guitar. I swapped out the bridge pup in the 70's pretty much making the guitar worthless. Gave it a new life this summer when I loaded up a new pickguard with a set of Custom Shop 69's.

IMO maybe the best course of action is a refret or new neck and hold onto the 78 that you love. Don't rush into a bad deal, be patient. I got a fantastic heavy relic Nocaster this summer for $1800. Had been paying off an R8 when someone brought the Nocaster into the shop to trade In for some recording gear.

17. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you both might have something the other one wants. I would get on the phone and get the exact trade/cash values worked out for what each of you want. Meet each other half way. Then you both have the same drive time commitment. If you each like what you see, then do the trade. If it turns out one or the other's guitars are not what the other wanted, then you can decide on new terms or walk away.

18. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

It sounds like you really love that '78. If you're wanting medium jumbos, why not just get 'er refretted? If it's a rosewood board you won't need a fingerboard refin, you could probably get it for around $300 or so.

19. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

God lord...that's a beauty ! LPB right ? My dream Nocaster and you got it for a 'song'...nice axe !

20. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

cschlish; Bear in mind there are reissue 'Nocasters' and reissue 'Nocasters'. They come in various degrees of 'relicness', from 'brand new' looking, to really relic'd ones. There is also the 'Limited Edition' reissue model which lists at well over $4k street price. Then there is the beautiful HSCs and COA that all these guitars must come with.

Point one - these are great guitars, and include some of the nicest 'teles' out there. These are 'keepers' to most folks.

It sounds as if you are thinking of trading away some really nice guitars, but guitars which to some, may have 'issues' like non original parts or have had refins. This can impact their worth tremendously.

In any deal, whether paintings, coins, stamps or whatever, it is generally the person who ends up with the nicest 'piece' who is regarded as the long term winner.

In this case I would suggest that the 'Nocaster' is that piece.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.