1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I way overpaying for this Nocaster???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cschlish, Feb 11, 2013.

1. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Hey Guys any insight is appreciated...I got a 1978 Fender Tele that plays like a Custom Shop Model with one of the most AMAZING 52' size Neck Profiles I've come across, it did have a Pro Refin but in period correct Blonde and it's had the Bridge Pickup changed out. The Guitar was a Case Queen and in Excellent condition.

But, it's a Rosewood Board and I have two other Partscasters that I've built with RW. So, I put the 78' up for sale at the Value of around 2K...I've always want a Nocaster and the newer versions with modern Frets really get my Juices flowin, especially the Relic Version! So, long story short, I came across one in the NOS package and the guy wants my 78' and an my MIJ Burny LP that is a phenomenal Guitar and together the value's around 3k. What to do:confused:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If your giving up 2 good ones at least get what you really want. Sounds like you'd rather have a relic finish.

Play it, if it's speaks to you it might be worth it.
    There are alot of Nocasters out there.
    They want a bunch for them new, but good deals can be found if you can be patient.

3. NickDanger

NickDanger Tele-Meister

No way I'd make that trade. Used NOS Nocasters can be found slightly under $2k if you look. Sell the '78 and the Burny, buy a used relic and have a few hundred left over.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The problem is that the prices have gone up on the newer Relic versions (about $3900) which may be where the hang up is with this trade. The older versions with the original specs listed for around $3000 and used ones seem to go from $1500 to about $2000 give or take 10% so your best bet maybe to sell your '78 outright and that should get you close to what an older Relic might go for and you keep the Burny.

If you want the newer model the trade offer is in the ball park with what a used one would probably go for.

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

hes trying to rip you off. a used nocaster is worth $1800-2000. almost half what they are asking.

a fair trade would be 1 of your guitars (either one) for his. maybe some cash with the burny but only maybe $200 or so depending what model it is.

you have $3,000 worth of guitars he has $2000 worth.

6. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Ok, so you value the '78 at 2K, but you admit that it's not stock. Do you value the LP at 1K? If so, and if new, new-ish, or used CS Noc's are going for $3,900, you're prolly getting a pretty good value, IF you can live without the LP. Can you live w/o the Burny? If so, I would make the trade. I don't place much value on guitars I rarely or never play. HOWEVER, if you can't live w/o the Burny, or you play it alot and don't really want to part with it, can you supplement the '78 with some cash? If not, you're kinda back to the previous question: Can you live without the Burny? When you mentioned the Burny, what was his reaction? Let me get this before this sucka figures out I screwed him, or was it more casual? Frankly, I couldn't make this decision without playing the Noc first. I would take both guitars and all the cash I was willing to spend with me. If the Noc "spoke to me," and I could part with the Burny, I'd make the trade. If the Noc was kinda "meh," I would give it some pause. Do I really want to give up a player for something that's not exactly what I want? Or do I want to wait for "her" to show up? Patience young padawan.

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I don't get how or why you value your 78 so high., IMO nothing special about a 70's Fender.. Should be able to find a Nocaster under 2K. Wouldn't even give half as much for a 78.

8. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Cash is usually the best way to go, I'd sell your guitars and go from there.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If you're dealing on the one on CL in L.A. personally I think the guy is WAY overpriced! I've seen at least one up here that was advertised at $1500 about a year ago, and it didn't go right away. No way would I even look at one someone wanted $2999 for. He's just got his line in the water. Lots of that goes on down there. There's a '52 that's been on there forever for $1400, you can buy a new one cheaper than that, and for a few bucks more the 2012 model.

10. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

I think 2K is a little optimistic for a '78 tele, especially with a refin and replacement pup. I'd offer the '78 with some cash on top, and keep the Burny.

11. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Well value for a mint 78', is 2800-3k and rising every year, I knocked a grand of for the refin and PU change...It is what is, whether a particular individual values it less, because they Don't like the 70's era doesn't change what it sells for. That era's guitars are now at or near 40 year old Fenders and lik'em or not they are becoming valuable to a lot of people. This particular one is light weight for a 70's, rings like a bell, is in near mint condition and has the best feeling neck I've ever played and I've played them all except real 50's versions.

12. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

People can ask whatever they want for a guitar. That's why you see Highway Ones on ebay for a grand or more. Realistically mid to late 70s Teles sell for around $2000-2250. Yeah, you'll see people asking $2900, but they don't sell.

Refin cuts value in half. Money wise, its a fair trade. Although, it seems like these guitars are worth more to u than the Nocaster. If I were you I'd offer him the 78 plus 5 bills.

13. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Keep the Ideas coming guys, Cash wise I'd be getting raped. But trade valued a little different, plus I think some with price hikes and the new versions of Nocaster, they now cost about $1000 more than they used too. Plus, I need 6105 frets...So, most Nocasters are out of the question.

14. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Take what the 78 would be worth as original and cut that in half. There's your starting point.

15. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

You said you have 3 Teles with rosewood necks, and the 78 has the best neck you ever played. Why are you trading that? Trade one of the other two you own or am i missing something? Does this guy want a Burny and a Tele or a Burny and a 78 Tele?

16. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I think Fender is shooting it's self in the foot with these new prices.. Glad I've gotten my Custom Shop guitars already because I wouldn't be buying them at the higher price.. Fender is also putting out some killer production line stuff, specifically the American Vintage Line..

17. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Because the Two other Rosewood Partscasters hold no real value, even their fine guitars. The 78' does and I want a Nocaster with no outta pocket cash and Yes, the 78' and the Burny...

18. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Using this analogy for both guitars, then I'm pretty close...As long as his is a new $3800 model, which I'm still trying to verify!

19. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

That's the one...He lists the newer model specs for it, but doesn't have the actual manufacture date listed. I'm sure it's new and not played, but is it a 2010-2012 version. That's the million dollar answer I'm waiting for! 1500-2k seems right for a pre 2009-2010 model, newer ones seem to cost more with the changes.

20. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

I see them sell for high 2k range over the last year on EvilBay, usually case queens versions though. Collectable wise, Refin hurts for sure. But it was a reason I wanted it, I love Blonde Tele's and don't like Black ones.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.