am I unrefined?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by xgritzx, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

xgritzx,

If you are unrefined, then I am an unrefined heathen as well.

I have tried a lot of pedals and effects over the years, and in the end, I go with what my ear says is pleasing. (Both to me and to the audience. They matter more than me, in the end.)

My current pedal board, signal from right to left, and the prices I paid brand new:

Boss CS3 Compressor Sustainer - $90
    MXR Talk Box - $135
    A fuzz-distortion pedal built for me by a local friend - $90
    A boost pedal built for me by another local friend - $90
    Donner Pearl Tremor - $30
    Electro-Harmonix Mel 9 - $200

Okay, the Mel 9 is pricey. But it's a really nice bang for the buck pedal, and I had been drinking when I ordered it last year.

:(

Pedal board and mic stand.JPG

xgritzx and JustABluesGuy like this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

If it sounds good, it is good. Nothing wrong with Boss or Xotic or any brand you think sounds good. Sound is the only aspect that makes it to anyones ears, so, if it sounds good, it is good.

3. Humble Pie

Humble Pie TDPRI Member

If your thinkin that your unrefined , keep it to your self!! and NEVER ever let anyone know that you take a bath once a year ,whether you need it, or not!

xgritzx likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you have to own your own tone, so one person's boutique pedal could be their tone and one person's DS-1 is someone else's tone. That is what matters.

For me, I'm never going back to those boring mass produced pedals. Never.:p

xgritzx likes this.
  5. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

I like my DS1

xgritzx and JustABluesGuy like this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Posts in a telecaster forum... asks if he’s unrefined...;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I'm with you (OP). I have some "boutique" pedals, but mostly use a tube screamer clone – and/or my old Cry Baby and Rat I had forever (no true bypass - go figure!). My impression is that lots of the high end stuff is voiced to sound good on it's own (dare I say in the bedroom?) – but difficult to use in a band, on stage, in a gig. There is a reason why the standard pedals like screamers and super overdrives cut bass and boost mids!

xgritzx and Jim622 like this.
  8. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Taking just Boss as an example:

Boss _is_ high end stuff - it's highly engineered, all the way down to the design of the enclosure, has industry-leading (if not legendary) reliability, longer than industry average warranties, a global distributor and support network (easy to obtain spares and parts), and has collectively logged more hours in studio and live than pretty much any other pedal manufacturer.

There is nothing unrefined about Boss - they are just so good at what they do that it's easy to label them as boring. In fact, when they started, they were just as small (or smaller, since the market for pedals was smaller) than the boutique brands.

Their marketshare and longevity would not be achievable if they were 'unrefined'.

-Scott

9. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Has everything to do with personal taste, not much to do with hype or the latest trends - or even pedal quality. I had one of the first Klons. OK, nothing special. To me forgettable, though others find it some kind of holy grail. Which of us is right? No-one is. What sounds best and why is entirely up to you.

JustABluesGuy and xgritzx like this.
  10. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

And the old ones are still there. I use a TS9 and a Marshall Drive master, nothing fancy but reliable? YES

xgritzx and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.