Am I tripping, or is this neck too narrow?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jdsmith, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Jdsmith

Jdsmith TDPRI Member

upload_2021-6-17_19-17-0.png upload_2021-6-17_19-17-18.png

Not sure how well these images are going to come through, but here's the situation. On the left is my maple tele neck, and on the right is my bound rosewood board strat neck for reference. I feel like when I play the tele, I'm much more prone to fall off the edge on the high e string. Is this neck too narrow? Is this how teles normally are? It just feels like the high e is so close to that edge.

The strat looks (to me) to have more spare room on the edges. To be fair, this is a CV 50s squier. Also, the bridge and nut are aligned as perfectly as I can get them, so I don't think that's the problem. If a new neck is recommended, or if this is normal, I'd be happy to hear some thoughts!

2. skradlee

skradlee Tele-Meister

You could almost certainly fix that by getting a new nut cut. It could be the angle of the photos, but the fret markers look off-center on the tele neck, and it could also be possible that the neck has a very slight angle as well. You can also loosen the neck screws and try to nudge it ever so slightly to line it up a little better if that is the case.

3. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Fender necks, especially for guitars with vintage specs, the E strings can get close to the edge.

But that looks too close, and such issue is often addressed by reseating the neck (just slightly loosen the neck screws and push the neck into a straighter position, then tighten it back up).

jim777, refin and Chicago Matt like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Without pictures up and down the neck it’s difficult to see why the high R is so close to the edge. The first thing id do is loosen the screws holding the neck and pull the head stock toward the low E side. This will shift the strings away from the high E side edge. The next thing id do is go up one gauge for the high E string. Use a 0.011 if you’re currently using a 10-46 set. Replace the nut if it’s cut incorrectly. Replace the neck if it’s narrower than spec.

6. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

Rolled frets vs not?

That Cal Webway, Boreas and Blind Owl like this.
  7. Jdsmith

Jdsmith TDPRI Member

Maybe a dumb question, but I haven't had this issue before: is this a one-and-done type fix for the situation, or is this somewhat like a truss rod adjustment, where it will need resetting every once in a while?

After watching some videos, it sounds like squier is known for making their neck slots slightly too large and causing this issue.

8. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I would shift the nut 1/32" or so to the bass side because it appears there is more clearance there than necessary.

Alex_C likes this.
  9. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

The dots should be centered between the D and G strings. The nut and/or bridge could be off.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First thing I noticed is they built your guitar backwards!
    Other than that:
    Loosen neck screws and strings, tilt the neck which ever direction suits your edge margin needs.

11. pi

pi Tele-Meister

In most cases, it usually stays. But if it gets knocked around, could put it out of alignment again. If it happens repeatedly there could be other issues, and I would have a tech inspect it... for example maybe the neck pocket would need to be sanded flat or there were other kinds of issues preventing the neck staying straight.

DougM likes this.
  12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Probably just has the nut glued too far over to the left. Either pull it and center it or just put on a new one.

Jay Jernigan likes this.
  13. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

It could be one of the things mentioned above (some very good suggestions), or more than one of the things above that alone aren't that bad but a little bit of neck shift, a little bit of nut being cut a little too far, a little bit of the saddles being crooked, all could be playing a role together.

The last thing I would do would be to remove and replace the nut. The CV nuts are glued in and the ends are buried under the finish. It will never look like new again.

I would start with loosening and shifting the neck, then check the saddles.

As someone else posted, you need to show us pics of the entire string length so we can see where the string lies all the way.

14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It has nothing to do with Squier, and everything to do with bolt on necks, they can shift some in transit. It's just as likely to occur on a MIA Fender as on an Indonesian or Chinese Squier. And, once you've adjusted it, it should stay put and not shift again, unless it gets shipped somewhere, where it might get jostled a bit in transit, and then it might shift again.

15. Jdsmith

Jdsmith TDPRI Member

upload_2021-6-17_21-30-23.png
    upload_2021-6-17_21-30-57.png

I adjusted the neck a little bit like some of you suggested, and I think it helped, but if anyone sees anything off with my saddles or nut (both of which have been replaced - rutters brass saddles and bone nut), please let me know!

Fiesta Red, jfgesquire and pi like this.
  16. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Hard to be certain, but it looks like the nut was slotted wide, especially on the first two strings.
    Spaced for a righty, maybe?

17. pi

pi Tele-Meister

From the pics, looks pretty good now. Nice guitar.

jfgesquire and Jdsmith like this.
  18. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Nice guitar! Looks like you got it.

How does it play?

And who did the nut for you? If they did even a decent job then they're a keeper tech.

Another possible problem with the 3 saddle bridge is when you lower the outside saddle height screws to match the radius, then where the saddles meet is no longer flush and it pushes the outside saddles even further out. It's only a little bit, but when you're almost near the edge, that could have added to the problem. But I wouldn't touch it now, it looks very good.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

My American Series Strat fell out of the boot of the car onto a hard surface a few years back. It was in it’s case so no severe damage but when I’d tuned it and started playing it wasn’t right. Turned out the jolt had shifted the neck. Mate and I loosened it, pulled it back into alignment and carried on with the rehearsal. Not moved since.

skradlee likes this.
  20. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Jajajajajajaja.

That Cal Webway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.