1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I the only person that loves the sound of a Tele neck pup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Laroosco!, Jan 24, 2004.

1. skepticult

skepticult Tele-Meister

I use my neck pickup more than the bridge. I live in an apartment, and if I want to have any chance of firing up the amp without angering the neighbors, it's got to be melloooooow.

The bridge pickup sounds great cranked, but at low volumes...well, let's just say that if The Duke was alive and walking by my pad and happened to hear it, he'd kick my ass.

(Don't worry, didn't make any sense to me either.)

2. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I've tried several neck pickups out and they vary alot. Many tele neck pups don't have enough high end...at least not enough to be heard in a band situation. The tonal diference between the neck and the bridge is sometimes TOO prounounced to be practical onstage IMO. But some neck pups have a very similar tonal quality to a strat neck pup, although it still sounds 'telecaster'. As I said above somewhere...Roy Buchanan and Jimmy Bryant often used the neck pup. That's the tone I mean.
    My current neck pup is from a 2000 American Series tele and it's the best I've ever found. I have a Duncan Alnico 2 bridge pup in with it and I don't have to adjust anything....the tone control or my ears....when I move the switch position. There's a big tonal change, but it's comfortable.
    The neck pups on the Original Vintage and Nocaster sets are good too.

3. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Here's what I do: on every neck pickup I have in my tele's I disconnect the tone control... but only for the neck pickup. This opens the pickup more... a bit more power, high end, and clarity. I can roll off a little high end with the volume control if needed, and set the tone control for a "sweet spot" on the bridge... I love this setup.

4. bek

bek Tele-Holic

I have the Rio Big Bottom set (just what you're having installed) in my Tele, and it is a monster. Both pickups are great. I do play the neck one more than the bridge, but they blend well, too. Next: Deaf Eddie's Five-Way switch.

5. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Great! Just what I was hoping for :D Yup, bought a Big Bottom set. Heard from my luthier that I should get the guitar in the next week or so.

Thanks!

6. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

nothing at all wrong w/the stock neck pickup...

...especially if you only play on the neck pickup, or favor the blend setting on Teles.

another trick is to give the tone pot a judicious swing counterclockwise when using the bridge pickup alone, with the stock setup.

i think what you are referring to is a problem that countless Tele players have encountered - too much of a difference in top end between the neck and bridge pickups.

i, for one, do not want Strat tone per se with the neck pickup, just more treble than the stock Tele pickup allows, for a better balance between the two. it need not be a Strat pickup - that is just oftentimes the best, most economical alternative. and since Strat pickups come in a zillion different flavors, it makes it much more possible to find one with a bit of Tele neck pickup flavor.

like they say though, if it aint broke, dont fix it. if you like what you hear with the stock pickup, it doesnt matter what anyone else says regarding what they see as limitations with the stock Tele neck pickup.

7. pc

pc Tele-Meister

Re: Am I the only person that loves the sound of a Tele neck

No, you aren't the only one. Add me to the list of people who love that Tele neck pup.

8. bgwatts

bgwatts Tele-Meister

Reverse Esquire

I love the neck pickup.The front and middle position are the ones I use the most.I use the Bridge Pickup almost like an effect.....on occasion,when its called for.But I wonder how much of the neck pickup tone is the pickup itself and how much is its position on the guitar.I have always wondered about a neck pickup positioned right in the middle.,by itself.A little brighter sounding?a little more edgy?No neck pickup. no bridge pickup.Kind of like a reverse Esquire or single pickup Dano/Silvertone?Anybody else out there keeping themselves awake at night building weird guitar combinations in their head?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.