1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I the only person that loves the sound of a Tele neck pup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Laroosco!, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Tele-Meister

I always hear peope complain about the tone of a Tele neck pup. My friend says that he can't stand the drastic difference in tone between the neck and bridge pups.

Personally, that drastic difference is what I love about these guitars. Being a Strat player for most of the last 19 years, I welcome a guitar(that being a Tele) with a wider tonal variantion(IMO). Also I love having a usable bridge pup.

I don't want my Tele neck to sound like Strat either. I know a lot of guys who try to acheive this, and I can't imagine why.

I know it just boils down to opinions and personal taste, but I'm surely not the only one who feels this way.

Thanks,

2. Ronetele

Ronetele TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm with you, the neck pups are great

and bet we are not alone. i love the neck pup for a warm, full blue and bluer lead. leads don't always have to sting. i'll also use the neck pup for rhythm if there is room for it. but if the mix is crowded, i find that the bridge pup or both is better for sparse rhythm. sort of backwards, i know. but hey, both pups sound great!

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Tele-Meister

I also like the "in between" tone of a Tele better than ther ones you get from a Strat.

This is the main reason that I don't like Tele's with more than 2 pups

Great to hear that I'm not alone

4. Hiwatt

Hiwatt TDPRI Member

more of the middle

If you love all those in-between sounds of a two pup, you can get all three combos using a five-tone-tele superswitch. Stewart McDonald sells the switch ($20) and I found the diagram at;
    www.deaf-eddie.net/guitars/5tone.jpg
    It's a bit of a pain to install, but well worth it in tonal flexability.
    happy soldering!

5. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I love them (most of them, anyway....some are too dark sounding). Listen to Roy Buchanan and Jimmy Bryant....lots of their stuff was on the neck pup.

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

My pseudo-scientific theory is...

...it's a psycho-aural illusion (I'll bet you're impressed now!). For example, when I first plug my Tele in and play on the bridge pu it sounds fat, juicy, and fine. Then after I switch to the neck pu it sounds huge. But when I switch back to the bridge pu it sounds kinda' thin. However, the longer I play on the bridge pu the better it begins to sound until I again switch to the neck pu and deja vu...it starts all over again. It's mostly an illusion that the bridge pu sounds so puny. Once your ears re-adjust it sounds fine. For you blues players out there, Kid Ramos' tone is massive. And he plays an Esquire, which is like playing a Tele on the bridge pu all the time. I would be willing to bet if he had a neck pu and played on it for a few minutes then switched to the bridge, it would then sound thin...for only a minute or two, until your ears and brain adjust. Well that's my amateur explanation. What's yours? 8)

7. telefreak

telefreak Tele-Holic

When I find a Tele with a neck pickup that doesn't sound weak and washed out, I'll keep it. Until then, I'll use a strat pup in the neck :?
    Had a few Tele's, and never found one with a good neck pickup. Tell a lie, I found a Squire with a good one, it belonged to my friend, but he didn't want to sell

8. Michael Minnis

Michael Minnis Tele-Meister

I love the neck pickup. But I mainly play jazz. Frankly, I can never get a good jazz tone out of a Strat. That's one of the reasons I love Teles so much.

9. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Tele-Meister

My G&L ASAT Classic had one of the meanest sounding neck pup's I've heard.

10. Ronetele

Ronetele TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Re: My pseudo-scientific theory is...

exactly! i find myself in the same pattern, we are blessed with only good choices. how about psycho-aural relativity. or is this the heisenberg principle? as soon as you measure something, it changes....

11. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

I play 95% of the time on the neck...

I play 95% of the time on the neck pickup... when gigging, practicing, whatever. And I love them all... even the stock ones... currently I use a VZ tru-vintage, a Lawrence 280, and a Fralin Blues Special. I also really love Mini-HB necks(especially the Duncan vintage)... that is the odds on favorite for my next pup swap - LOL... unless I can come up with $150 bananas for a Lollar CC pickup(I am jonesing BIG TIME for one of his Charlie Christian's - have been for about a year). Also, I am not a country player(though I dabble now thanks to this site), and I detest the typical muffly Jazz tone. I'm a rock and fusion player... and for most neck pickups I use I disconnect the tone pot and get my tone variances from the vol knob.

12. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Sometimes you get good ones and sometimes you get bad ones. I don't think there is an in between.

I really like DiMarzio's Twang King neck pickup. It's got Tele sound and Strat power.

Another thing is I like to get both pickups as close to the strings as possible.

I had a neck pickup out of my MIJ that measured something like 13 Ohms. It was a killer neck pickup. Kinda wish I still had that one.

13. Brad

Brad Tele-Afflicted

Neck pickups

This subject has been raised on more than one occasion! Like JohnE, I find myself haning out on the neck pickup more often than the bridge pickup. It just works better for my style of playing and what I like to hear. While I love the tone of a good, single coil tele pickup, ( you are correct e-merlin in your assessment of Twang Kings ) a nice, vintage style humbucker ( see Seth Lover ) in the neck of a tele is what works for me.

14. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

The endless search

I have a Fender OV neck PU in my swamp ash Tele and a Dimarzio Twang King in the neck of my alder bodied Tele, and like them both a lot, but, like John E, I find myself jonesing for a Lollar Charlie Christian neck PU and/or a Hamel Tall Neck. Oh, will this unquenchable thirst for the ultimate neck PU ever cease?

15. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

What I have found is

Some gigs the neck pup sounds really fat and clear with a good push behind it, next night it sounds muddy and downright crap. Unfortunately it is mainly the latter.
    When it does sound good though, it sounds fantastic.
    I'm changing my Mex 50's to a Strat neck but I'm keeping my homebrew 52' ( my #1) with the 52RI neck pup in it.

16. WrapAround

WrapAround Tele-Holic

I always thought I was the only one who liked Tele front pickups. Then I found out that my front pickup has unusually low output (about 5.5k) and that keeps it from sounding woofy and farty at high volume and/or high gain. Now I'm looking for something else that sounds like my Tele front pickup.... sigh.

17. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

What do you guys think of the Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy neck? I'm getting that installed in a project Tele, along with the Muy Grande bridge.

18. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Tele-Meister

I have Muy Grande's in a Strat and I love them. Iwould imagine that the Tele pup's are just as good.

19. Roger Alburn

Roger Alburn Tele-Meister

Texas Special Tele neck shill here

I've had this same neck pup for four years and haven't heard anything I like better.... The Tx has the throw weight of a PAF humbucker, but offers clarity and air that a humbucker can't. Tele neck pups don't have to sound wimpy.... Just get them close enough to the strings and use a .047uF capacitor.

20. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Tele-Meister

What does the capacitor do?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.