1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Aaron1061, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

The typical approach to Teles are a nice and bright bridge pickup with a warm and and thumping neck pickup.

I like them to be almost opposite. Nice and even/warm bridge with a bright and cutting neck. Articulate with no mud when gained up.

Am I alone? I’m not even sure how I acquired this taste.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  2. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

How do you achieve it? It sounds like the opposite of the Tele’s nature.

3. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Usually I dont!!! Haha it’s hard to find pickups that do that.

best bet is a slightly hot a3 or a5 bridge, and an a3 neck under wound or a5 wound with a2 wire. The fender ov’s did this fairly well.

4. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Yes you are alone. Lol

Marblatx likes this.
  5. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

"Am I the only one?"

Yes.
    Yes, you are.

cat dude likes this.
  6. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

No, you're not the "ONLY one".

I definitely want my neck pickups to be full-bodied, clear, detailed, articulate, AND "sparkly" bright. NO MUD.

In achieving this, I often go with a volume pot having higher than 250k specs, and install a No-Load tone pot. But this all depends on the tonal character of the guitar itself - some guitars are inherently BRIGHT and others are inherently WARM/DARK. So, I just tune the pot's specs and the pickup choices to suit the character of the individual guitar.

One can always roll off the tone control slightly - if necessary - but you can't go the other way.

For the most part, yes, I do enjoy an articulate, full-range, and sparkly-bright neck pickup.

Two of my favorite ways to achieve this are with the Antiquity II Mini-Humbucker neck pickup and Cavalier 'Phoenix' Firebird neck pickup - combined with a 500k volume pot and a no-load tone pot - LOTS of clean, crystal clear fullness and sparkle!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  7. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

You're not alone. I've owned a Tele with those Seymour Duncans 5-2 (Five Two) pickups which has different Alnico magnets for spun strings and plain strings. In bridge pickup. Which meant that the bass strings pole pieces had a slightly more original twang and trebly attack, and the plain strings were kind of smoothed out, and less brilliance.

On top of this, since they are made noiseless and waxed (potted) they sport a lesser sharp ice pick in your ear sound. The final blow is that they came - in this particular Tele - reversed angle with the high e-strings pole piece further in on the string length. The output is very hot in comparison so automatically you almost enter dark humbucking character without it being one. Hot output means lesser treble.

The neck pickup was more or less regular single coil and since it has way less output to accomodate for greater string oscillation the brightness and brilliance was retained and kept.

By and large I don't think it's within the Telecaster realm, but a mod to get along with more distorted sounds, which can benefit sometimes for a darker sounding bridge pickup. Me myself fancy this - sometimes - but not always. I like the stark contrast of a Tele with a HB neck pickup to be able to close in on "jazzy" tones, and the bridge pickup for slightly cranked rock'n'roll tones. The downsides with combining such disparaging kind of neck and bridge pickups comes when you combine the 2 in either pararell or serial connections. It can be a chore in adjusting the balance of them, and you may end up that neither of these positions works particularly well. There's a reason manufacturers sells matched sets, after all.

But YMMV and each to their own.

IMadeYouReadThis and Aaron1061 like this.
  8. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds as if you’re trying to reverse the rules of nature!

bls82261 and soundchaser59 like this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

He plays a right handed Tele left handed which means the pick up normally on the left as you look at it is on the right.

Miff and Aaron1061 like this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Yep! All on your own in a strange parallel back to front universe.................please, get help.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  11. BillyMays

BillyMays TDPRI Member

You should go pick up a Tele Cabronita and give it a try. The TV Jones pickups are pretty bright all the way around.

Maguchi and VillainSean like this.
  12. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Your not alone! Rob D.@ Cavalier PUPs hooked me up with that was damn near close to what your searching 4.

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You are not alone. I dont want a bright bridge pickup at all. Warm and punchy up there for me.

Aaron1061 likes this.
  14. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Agreed+100, and you are not alone.

BillyMays likes this.
  15. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

I’ve got a Gretsch already and you’re right. It’s amazing. ☺️

16. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Just bought my 4th set last night from him! An under wound she wolf and a Nashville lion. Almost went with the 51/52 since it’s a tad more polite and warm but i stuck with what I knew.

17. BillyMays

BillyMays TDPRI Member

The brightness and bluesy sound of the Cab is specifically why I bought it. I was looking at a new old stock 2012 American Select Koa Tele (stunningly beautiful), but when I was looking I plugged in the Cab and it was over. The sound inspired me, I left the store about 10 minutes later with a beautiful Blonde USA Cabronita Tele. I couldn't wait to get home, crank up the amp and annoy the heck out of the neighbors! :)

18. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

nah, the bridge sharp and the neck is round.

19. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Least expensive -
    Remove the neck pickup from the tone control then set amp controls for bright sound on that pickup.
    Turn tone control down for the bridge pickup. Add a higher value capacitor if needed for bridge pickup.

20. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Well then, do i have a great recommendation for you ! Get yourself a bootstrap pretzel neck pickup. It;s bright and cutting unlike any other i have heard and if you remove the cover even more so. It actually helps the wound strings a lot, plus you can order them with the cover on the side. It does exactly what u r talking about and is like $30 shipped ! For me it's a sort of one trick pony....i like it for certain things a LOT. But overall i prefer my twang kings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.