Am I supposed to be impressed by this? Because I am. (Keith Richards content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by _MementoMori_, Sep 13, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

In this video, Keith removes the 6th string from an acoustic and tunes it to open G without using relative tuning. He just twists the pegs until his ear recognizes the correct pitches. I guess when you've been playing guitar as long as he has, this isn't really anything special. I'm not there yet, clearly, because it blows my mind.

The Angle, Rockdog, Blue Bill and 8 others like this.
  2. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Holic

Well Keith is the man . I used to tune without tuners - one reason why I can do that too . But tuners do help me .. I love Keith

3. _MementoMori_

I can tune without a tuner/tuner pedal if I use relative tuning, but he's not even doing that here. He's occasionally checking the A (or G in this case) against the D string, but that's not relative tuning as I understand it.

4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i remember reading that keith could do that very early on, not long after he began playing.

standard tuning, i mean.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

The simplest music is the best.

donrichfan and dkmw like this.
  6. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve seen that vid before - the part that cracks me up is when he steps on the loose E string to keep it out of the way.

7. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Holic

The guitar is still not in tune with itself.

8. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Holic

I would think that every guitarist over 50 could tune by ear as there were no tuners in those days. I remember in the event of not having access to a piano having a tuning fork and then it was 5-5-5-4-5. Mind you I have used an electronic tuner since they became affordable and I am not sure I could still tune by ear nowadays. :D

9. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

I can get a guitar into the ballpark of open-G by ear using the octaves to get that low G and high D in tune -- but I know it would be nowhere near as accurate as having my VS-1 nearby to check it.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. _MementoMori_

Yep - that's my method when I don't have a tuner on hand: 5-0-5-0-5-0-4-0-5-0. What impressed me about the video was Keith getting in tune (or close enough anyway) without using that method.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I thought it was just me. Odd example of how great his ear is, given how out of tune the result is. And I'm not a tuning snob at all.

artdecade likes this.
  12. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Why is anybody surprised at this? Surely we all know Keef has been doing it since before the dinosaurs walked the earth.

13. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

two things struck me; firstly how out of tune the guitar is and second how arthritic his fingers look.

MilwMark likes this.
  14. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

From “Life”, Keef recounted the story of when he visited his mum on her deathbed. He played Malagueña for her. She said “I could tell it was him because he was out of tune”:)

MisterZ, moosie, Mad Kiwi and 9 others like this.
  15. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Nice. I'm not shocked that he can tune his guitar like that. In fact, anyone who uses either 4th/5th fret reference pitches, or even an electronic tuner, probably still wants to play one or two chords as a cross-check that their tuning, which is always a compromise, is a good compromise for what they're about to play.

What really struck me was the look of sheer pleasure that came off him as he played. Not much "witness my greatness" - like you see in too many noodling guitarists, but rather what looked like genuine love of what he's doing and hearing.

Despite being a brit of a certain age, I've never really known very much about Keef and this site is pushing me up the learning curve. Lots to love there.

16. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Holic

Well giving Keith the benefit of the doubt here- it does take few tries and a few minutes dropping down to g from standard . U don’t just drop it and it’s perfect - different tension and all

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  17. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Holic

Here, is hitting the G string to detune the A to G. Same, he is hitting D string to detune high e to d. Come on, you could do that!

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What are you meaning by "relative tuning"? Playing a fifth fret on E string for an A, fifth fret on A for D, etc?
    Relative tuning, if related to "relative pitch", is simply being able to HEAR in your head any pitch if given a reference pitch to start with.....in other words, if someone is played an E, they can then hear "internally" the next pitch of A.....or any other note if asked. I certainly don't claim to be "special", but when changing strings, I can put on a new string, and tune "pretty close" to accurate pitch without a tuner. After getting all six strings on, I then use a tuner to get dead on. It's not a parlor trick.....just fifty-five+ years of playing. ;)

Pcs264, Greggorios and MilwMark like this.
  19. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

After a life of rock-n-roll I am shocked he can hear anything at all much less whether he can hear if his guitar is in tune or not.

nojazzhere, Mad Kiwi and Telecaster88 like this.
  20. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

I’m not impressed, but I don’t mind if others are.

MTPoteet and MilwMark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.