Am I supposed to be impressed by this? Because I am. (Keith Richards content)

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
In this video, Keith removes the 6th string from an acoustic and tunes it to open G without using relative tuning. He just twists the pegs until his ear recognizes the correct pitches. I guess when you've been playing guitar as long as he has, this isn't really anything special. I'm not there yet, clearly, because it blows my mind.

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
Well Keith is the man . I used to tune without tuners - one reason why I can do that too . But tuners do help me .. I love Keith

I can tune without a tuner/tuner pedal if I use relative tuning, but he's not even doing that here. He's occasionally checking the A (or G in this case) against the D string, but that's not relative tuning as I understand it.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
i remember reading that keith could do that very early on, not long after he began playing.

standard tuning, i mean.

Ed Driscoll

Tele-Afflicted
In this video, Keith removes the 6th string from an acoustic and tunes it to open G without using relative tuning. He just twists the pegs until his ear recognizes the correct pitches. I guess when you've been playing guitar as long as he has, this isn't really anything special. I'm not there yet, clearly, because it blows my mind.

I can get a guitar into the ballpark of open-G by ear using the octaves to get that low G and high D in tune -- but I know it would be nowhere near as accurate as having my VS-1 nearby to check it.

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
I would think that every guitarist over 50 could tune by ear as there were no tuners in those days. I remember in the event of not having access to a piano having a tuning fork and then it was 5-5-5-4-5. Mind you I have used an electronic tuner since they became affordable and I am not sure I could still tune by ear nowadays. :D

Yep - that's my method when I don't have a tuner on hand: 5-0-5-0-5-0-4-0-5-0. What impressed me about the video was Keith getting in tune (or close enough anyway) without using that method.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
two things struck me; firstly how out of tune the guitar is and second how arthritic his fingers look.

tattypicker

Tele-Meister
Nice. I'm not shocked that he can tune his guitar like that. In fact, anyone who uses either 4th/5th fret reference pitches, or even an electronic tuner, probably still wants to play one or two chords as a cross-check that their tuning, which is always a compromise, is a good compromise for what they're about to play.

What really struck me was the look of sheer pleasure that came off him as he played. Not much "witness my greatness" - like you see in too many noodling guitarists, but rather what looked like genuine love of what he's doing and hearing.

Despite being a brit of a certain age, I've never really known very much about Keef and this site is pushing me up the learning curve. Lots to love there.

57joonya

Tele-Holic
Well giving Keith the benefit of the doubt here- it does take few tries and a few minutes dropping down to g from standard . U don’t just drop it and it’s perfect - different tension and all

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I can tune without a tuner/tuner pedal if I use relative tuning, but he's not even doing that here. He's occasionally checking the A (or G in this case) against the D string, but that's not relative tuning as I understand it.
What are you meaning by "relative tuning"? Playing a fifth fret on E string for an A, fifth fret on A for D, etc?
Relative tuning, if related to "relative pitch", is simply being able to HEAR in your head any pitch if given a reference pitch to start with.....in other words, if someone is played an E, they can then hear "internally" the next pitch of A.....or any other note if asked. I certainly don't claim to be "special", but when changing strings, I can put on a new string, and tune "pretty close" to accurate pitch without a tuner. After getting all six strings on, I then use a tuner to get dead on. It's not a parlor trick.....just fifty-five+ years of playing. ;)