1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I now overestimating the TS9 tubescreamer?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by RoscoeElegante, Oct 19, 2020.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I have one, the TS9 circuit, that's built into my (very fun) TSA 15 Head.

For a long time, I barely used that feature. The few times I'd tried it, it sounded harsh, fizzy, cheapo heavy-metal-ish to me. I preferred just going with the head's mid-boost and generating natural breakup. Or the many tones that adding my Joyo American Sound produced. Both of which are still great to me.

But a few weeks ago, I plugged right in to the TSA 15H, just for a quick grab of frustration-venting while grading [this is a family forum!] papers. Flicked on the TS9 instead of the mid-boost. And I noticed that it was a lot more touch dynamic than I'd thought. So to get the most out of it, I turned up the head, eased off the guitar volume and tone knobs to have them in play, and dialed up the TS9 to be just barely audible when string-attacking moderately.

And when I dug in, there was very sweet-sounding, very responsive break-up. (It helps that the two Eminence Legend 1258's I'm using for the head have now broken in well.)

Lots of texture, depth, dimensionality--and above all, that glorious Tweedish quality of break-up based on your string attack. I didn't know that the Tube Screamer circuit was that versatile and expressive!

Or am I just so glad to be able to pick up a guitar and crank an amp to relieve work stress, and be the one who's in control of frustration-tones, that I'm now over-crediting the TS9?

StevesBoogie likes this.
  2. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Marking #@*& papers can have this effect.:twisted:

IMO many/most pedals are best used with restraint (I mean, not flat out).

RoscoeElegante likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.