1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I missing something here - GFS Body Tele build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tommyd73069, Nov 8, 2015.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to be a huge fan of GFS. I think their budget line has gone way down hill.

That said, if they truly drilled the string holes in the wrong place, I'm sure they'll exchange it unless you bought on clearance, maybe. I think it's more likely the pickguard holes are slightly off so it makes the pickguard sit farther forward than it should, again, slightly.

And, my most recent build was a Rock Audio - exceptional quality at that price point. Better routes. Nice weight (not flyweight thought). Only problem is - everyone's on to them and so they are out of most everything. They also tend to have more esoteric/exotic finishes and not as much of the bread and butter - you know, vintage white, butterscotch blonde, that sort of thing.

But man, my double-bound black thinline body from them is SWEET.

2. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

I don't know. I could see something like not so good a finish, slightly loose or too tight a neck pocket, a cavity that might need a little chiseling, screw holes not matching the pickguard. Things like that would not be that bad for a $40 body, but an out of place bridge is just too much of a defect for me, especially a tele where the bridge has to be placed over the string thru holes pretty much.

3. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

The length from the front of the nut to the bridge is the way all guitar mfg. list their scale lengths. I've measured it both ways and it's wrong no matter how you slice it.

I'm waiting to hear back from GFS. Already shopping for a new body, regardless. Not wasting any time on this one. Another poster hit the nail on the head. It's a cruel joke to play on someone by sending them crap after such a long buildup in their product descriptions. Patterned off of his '62 Tele, my eye.

Unless they give in fast and apologize profusely, I won't waste any more money over at GFS. If they make it right, I'll forgive them this time, but be very apprehensive about any other products they make themselves.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Makes me think if one wanted to order a GFS body, you'd better already have in your possession the bridge and neck you're going to use, to check it immediately for fit issues.

It seems a lot of people have had GOOD luck with the GFS bodies, even the cheap Paulownia ones... it's weird that sometimes these dogs pop up....

5. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

It's not that I disagree with you. Drilling a bridge in the wrong place is a big boo boo.

Some GFS stuff is pretty low in quality. Others not so bad.

Just saying that you get what you pay for. It's most likely the reason this body was on clearance. When you get a deal like this, there's going to be some work required to make it right.

It sticks, but hey what can you do?

6. John Nicholas

I wish you luck... please let us know what they do.

Happy belated birthday!

7. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

Just received an email from GFS and sent them pics. We'll see. This wasn't a clearance item. It was their original style bodies, before the XGP line was added. For $49.95, I didn't expect an American standard telecaster body. I expected to need to fudge things around and make allowances for minor issues. I didn't expect to find the body so far out of tolerance that it was useless, without serious modifications.

It's a cheap enough lesson at $49.95. It's the disappointment of telling my wife that I can't complete her present to me, that has really wound me up about this. She knows I've been romancing this build for months, be patient and waiting. I almost didn't tell her, but she came out to the shop about the time I figured it out. She asked why I wasn't putting it together.

8. nofrets

nofrets Tele-Meister

I'd say do longer screws & springs - remember it's only the two little strings that will be at or near scale length. The other two saddles will be pulled back (i.e. longer scale length) to intonate. Do that, and either make a pick guard to fit, or run it bareback.

BTW, you are measuring the scale length from the bridge side of the nut, right? No insult intended, just checking.

Also, happy birthday, belated and all that...

9. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

The first body I bought from GFS was a blem. When it showed up I had a hard time finding the flaw. The only tweaking it required was with the control route - with a full size pot it forced the pick guard into a position I didn't like so I touched it up a bit and no problems. Score! I'm still happy with it.

I bought a blem neck at the same time. It turned out to have a major issue with how the heel was shaped, the bottom of it wasn't parallel with the fingerboard. I pointed out the neck was advertised as useable but flawed. They told me it was as is, sorry for your luck. I fixed it and decided not to buy more necks from them.

I bought a few more bodies after that from the factory clearance. They each took a certain amount of work but it was expected so no foul.

Then I bought the XGP hardtail Strat I mentioned earlier. I got it together but not without a lot of screwing around and tweaking things. It made me swear off GFS bodies, life is too short, etc. In general I decided I'd rather have a few more expensive guitars than the ever growing number of cheap guitars. I have a Strat I built from Warmth parts. It's my "number one". Granted it cost five times what a GFS build cost but it's a great guitar, not a great guitar for the money...

I've also bought a lot of parts from GFS; tuners, pickups, etc. No complaints there. I had an issue with one tuner and it was replaced quickly with no hassle.

So... I still like GFS, just not for bodies.

They may well be helpful on this one since it wasn't a clearance part. I never contacted them about my XGP body, I kept putting more time into fixing it and got to a point of no return as it were. The XGP neck I got at the same time (yeah, I know what I said, things change) worked out fine IIRC. Truth be told I got that one put together, did a half assed set up, then stuffed it in the closet and haven't seen it since.

10. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Is that body drilled for a modern bridge as opposed to the vintage one you have.

I bought a XGP body and was very unimpressed - sure it's still a budget body but pretty far out in many places.

Anyways, I had gone the other way having already bought a modern bridge but the body was routed for vintage bridges. Got a vintage style bridge and everything fit fine.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/105mm-Dual-Load-tele-bridge-Solid-Steel-Baseplate-Chrome_p_3.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Style-3-Brass-Saddle-GOLD-Tele-Bridge_p_29.html

11. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

I would just go to a hardware store and get 6 screws and 6 springs

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

See, you say "It is a guitar body for $40. finished".

To me it is not a guitar body.
    It is an overpriced piece of cheap wood that closely resembles a guitar body, but does not function as a guitar body because when you attach parts to it you cannot tune it or play music with it.
    With some hours of labor it could be made from a decorative object into a guitar body, but so could a broken chair or a toilet seat.
    Once you put in the time to fill and rout correctly it's no longer cheap and looks buggered.

Regarding building it with the bridge in the wrong place, and trying to move the saddles closer to the neck, you would also move the saddles closer to the bridge, giving the funny looking buggered up guitar like object an unpleasantly ice pick thin sound.

I'm sorry but there are $99 guitars that work better, and calling such firewood a guitar body just hurts all the future buyers who read TDPRIers defending the sale of non functional junk.

Send GFS a message that they need to burn some of the wood they pay a dollar for, and not insult their customers by acting like they have no control over what they sell us.
    Some of their parts work, they don't have to ship the parts that don't work.

Edit: At first I thought this was a zombie thread, as the same GFS Tele body with the bridge in the wrong place has appeared here before, but it seems GFS keeps shipping the same stuff.
    I sort of assume that everybody knows GFS ships parts that just plain don't work.

Sorry you got a bum deal for your 50th birthday, I hope your wife doesn't feel too badly about it.
    And I'm sorry for my bad attitude, I get tired of seeing folks get ripped off and reading others defend the ripoff, thus ensuring it continues.
    IMO it's not OK.

13. tommyd73069

tommyd73069 Tele-Meister

Had all day to think about it. Someone mentioned making my own P/G to cover the gap. I still have old LPs, most are pretty well worn. I have several Stones albums, so I dug through a few and found one that the label was damaged and scratched up pretty badly. Made in the Shade. It's a German promotional and I don't remember it being a very good, even when new. So...how about a pickguard?? Seen them on ebay. Can't be that hard to make. What the heck. It's a useless record and might be cool.

Sure enough.

[​IMG]

Cheated the bridge up a little, ran the barrels out just a little more. I'll string up the E- strings tomorrow night, and see how close it is. Not going to drill any holes, yet. I'll just let the bridge float and use string tension to trap it. With strings on it, I may find I can cheat the bridge up a little more and open up the string hole a 32nd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanging with some of the gang.

[​IMG]

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If you look at the GFS website, the description say's that similar 45 dollar bodies like you have " fit our bridges". You are not using one of their bridges. While I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for, and with the variation in parts that exist, I wouldn't expect things to just drop together from any source. While it may be possible to buy all their parts and just assemble it, I think most people have shown in these threads that it takes some work to make them all work together.

I've purchased many cheap bodies from other sources and not been happy with any of them because of filler, sealer, weight, rout shapes, and wood species, but that doesn't mean that it is the mfg or sellers fault. They just don't meet my expectations. For some folks, those expectations could be met. This is one of those YMMV situations.

15. John Nicholas

I believe you may have mis-understood what I was saying. In no was what I wrote a defense of GFS.

For me to finish one body it cost much more then $40. just for the finishing supplies!

From what I've read (over and over) about the wood products from GFS is that it appears they sell the stuff other manufacturers throw away. Which they then sell at a discount to folks.

They prove a point, with a good enough "story" you can sell anything!

It's the OP's experience that truly saddens me... he purchased the body in good faith and was disappointed in what he got. And rightfully so. When you buy anything the least expectation is they will work for the intended purpose.

In this case it did not.

On my first guitar a bunch of components were purchased at GFS. Now I'm in the process of replacing all of it. YMMV

16. John Nicholas

Awesome save!

I love the record pickguard!

17. John Nicholas

Words of wisdom. Thank you.

18. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, but it also says "even Fender parts fit"...

19. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

20. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Fair enough...after you mill and drill the daylights out them...Fender parts fit. They don't say they drop in or are direct replacements. It think there is some artistic license involved in advertising. Probably ferrules, neck plates, and control plates do fit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.