Am I just used to GC over pricing?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Midgetje94, Oct 4, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Price seems pretty good if it's a good player.
    As far as offers, I make an awful lot of offers at various GC locations and they all seem to have a system where the generally low prices are firm until something like 60 days pass. Then they can move.
    Many many times I offer out the door just to save the tax and they say they can't.
    Tried that on a really nice Gibson LP Jr at $599 and left with my six hundred bucks.
    I generally hit guitar shops regularly for used selection, and by the time stuff sits unwanted long enough for the fair price to move toward cheap, the selection isn't great.
    Could be certain locations or managers fudge pricing but it seems to be across the board.
    If it's in good shape and plays good the price seems fine, especially now since prices are up and stock is still down.
    Could be it's been around long enough but don't be surprised if they say no and miss out if you really want it.

I kind of wish I coughed up the thirty bucks I quibbled over on the Jr.
    None since are as nice.

The Angle, beyer160 and Midgetje94 like this.
  2. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

swear I saw that same guitar or one identical to it at the local GC here in Algonquin, IL. Same pickups and tuners ... I asked the sales guy what kind of pickups were in it (thinking GFS) and he answered "I think they're ALINCOs ... not a typo, he said Uh-link-ohs. I just shook my head and decided I wasn't really in the market. At that price it's a good buy.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  3. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

It may be. I know they tend to shift around.

4. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Loose truss rod, or truss rod filler strip.

5. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That SG really appeals to me. I agree you should make it a NGD, and we can all enjoy it vicariously. :D

I've never owned an SG type guitar and am constantly tempted by the inexpensive new Epiphone SGs. Thing is, I don't need an SG, but I dig them and someday the right deal will come along at the right time.

Midgetje94 and Fretting out like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

NoTeleBob and Midgetje94 like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

I completely agree! Definitely sensible!

One thing I learned long ago on here was never expect a thread to go a certain way, you will always be disappointed

Usually when people try to control them they go even further off the rails

That’s part of the beauty of this place

See, I just took it of the rails by thinking of something based on your post

Now...making posts just for self gratification is different...

Wait! That’s what this place is about too...

As far as the Sg I think it’s a decent price, i wonder if the new Gibson headstock ones affect these older models, as in if it were more expensive people would just shell out the extra bucks and get the newer one with the more aesthetic headstock

Or maybe I’m the only one petty enough to care about the headstock

Why’s this one “custom shop” usually they have a distinguishing finish, maybe a worn finish?, I have a “custom shop” Firebird that seemed like a somewhat limited run

By the way, I love the quips you come up with, “jack away”....ha!

Midgetje94 likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I believe that is a Limited Edition (whatever the hell that really means on an Epiphone) '66 G-400 (non Pro), based on the set neck combined with the large guard, the back of the headstock, and the printing on the truss rod cover.

If so, it is priced about $50 to $125 too low, depending on its condition.

If that's the guitar you want, don't wait till tomorrow, and don't bother attempting to negotiate on an underpriced used item. IME, their used pricing discount scheme is very much determined by formula. I.e. after so many weeks, they are allowed to go down a certain percentage. At about $215 out the door, with two sets of pickups that you can sell off if you want different ones, it's a more than fair price – as long as there are no issues (neck straightness, bad frets, etc.). It's more important that you purchase it before someone else does, than that you get an extra 15 or 20 bucks off.

Buy it online now, and arrange for local pickup, then go into the shop to check it out. If you don't dig it at that point (due to condition, most likely), then cancel the transaction. You're lucky that nobody here, myself included, has swooped on it, based on your post. If I had any interest at all in owning one, you'd already be S.O.L. on it.

Supa Necta and Midgetje94 like this.
  9. Midgetje94

I may be the minority. But I actually don’t like the new headstock. It looks fatter throwing it all off. It looks like the distance from nut to E tuners is longer. Looks off and possibly more room for something to happen. Idk probably just me. Also makes the neck look comically skinny. Only issue with older heads is never a fan of the big Victorian era headstone vibe on some of them. Mainly semihollows and acoustics. But the typical heads not a issue.

and yea. I quite enjoys the quips myself. People seemed to get a kick out of my other post about the GL SG I found. And the fun terms for hands and fingers. Lol. It’s all fun.

Fretting out likes this.
  10. Midgetje94

hah if someone got it I’m not overly upset. I’m not hunting for a SG per say. Just familiar with the model and wouldn’t mind adding a SG to the arsenal for that price. But if someone is LOOKING for a good SG and snags this one. Good for them. Lol I’m still off work. So I’ll do it later today

11. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Like every thing else there are huge inventory shortages. I was kind of backed against the wall as I needed to purchase a pickup truck. I ended up buying a new and the pickings were very slim and the prices had very little wiggle room .... big demand short supply. The same is true with guitars and such. The used prices are really high. The best thing to do is walk away if you can. At some point prices on this stuff will crash when the inventory of new stuff is replenished.

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

And whether they’re on this forum!

SixStringSlinger and Midgetje94 like this.
  13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Unless things have changed recently, used price at GC is non-negotiable until you hit the 30 day mark, at which point they discount 10%. They discount another 10% 30 days after that. Corporate took negotiating power away from the rank and file a long time ago.

They'll still discount new stuff, but it's not like it used to be. The market is still hot and everything's backordered, why would they give discounts on stuff that's flying off the shelves anyway?

14. Midgetje94

I’m fine paying ticket price. But if I can offer $200 cash out the door. Why not cut the $16 tax off.

15. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I'd say $150 plus tax is where I would start...and flash $160 cash in hand. All they can do is say no. You might get lucky...might not. Be willing to walk away for the time being. You can always come back later for it at their price.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

My theory is that the worst they can say is no, and if you don't ask you'll never get. I've made some deals that the seller clearly wasn't happy about taking, but I never put a gun to anyone's head and forced them to take my money.

However, the used pricing policy at GC is set in stone so I don't bother asking anymore.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. Midgetje94

Haha so I drive out. And someone actually just got it.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think those are $399 new.

it’s a used Epi.

I think $199 is fair. GC can be goofy with used pricing. I once found a used Gibson SG Faded at the Milwaukee FC for $349. I bought it for a buddy in Chicago.

When you land on on a deal, jump on it.

NoTeleBob and telemnemonics like this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

Sounds like my luck!

I agree about the new epiphone shape I like the top but it’s length does look off

Midgetje94 likes this.
  20. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

You can find great deals on GC used and their return policy is great on them(unless 'Vintage' is the first word in the title).

I have bought six used guitars from them in 4 years. I always stick to 'Excellent' and 'Great' for condition as there will be more to hold them to if there are issues. I bought one 'Good' once.

Midgetje94 and SixStringSlinger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.