1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I insane?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Munchie99, Oct 1, 2020.

1. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

My original swap out of the guts and not the pickups was done in a 1993 Fender Japanese Fotoflame '57 Reissue Strat. Prior to the surgery the only useable position on the 5-way was #4, neck and middle. So much so that I had considered taking the switch out and just hard wiring it neck/middle only.

After I replaced all the guts (and not the pickups) I had an amazingly different sounding guitar. I also went the extra mile and used copper shielding tape to encase the entire control cavity and the pickup routes with that stuff. No more single coil noise at all. Which I think helped the Japonesium pickups cut through better.

All the pickup selector switch settings sound good now, even the bridge pickup by itself which prior to surgery was like either an ice pick or nails scratching a blackboard thin.

Here's a couple before and after pics of the Strat routing and the copper tape job. I've done the same on several Strats now and a couple other type guitars always with good results.

Before (so happy it isn't a bath-tub route)
    !Pictures 06-07-12 004.jpg

After...
    !Pictures 06-07-12 040.jpg
    I made some small thin strips to get over to the PG mounting screws just for the sake of me thinking it might ground the box of xopper together, howbeit I have no idea if it does anything, it seemed like a genius thing to do at the time, LOL.

By doing the back side of the pickguard, the thing is then completely surrounding all of the electrical components.

I left the original pickups...
    Replaced all the Japoneium parts...
    - new CRL 5-way switch
    - 3 x new 250k CTS pots
    - new black and white push back wire from the switch all the way to the jack
    - new cap

Voila, it was a completely different sounding guitar afterwards. I like the pickups, so I'm not gonna swap them out. It is it's own unique sounding Strat now. And since I've put some blood, sweat, and tears into it, its a keeper I won't (probably) ever sell.

This one also has a nice fat soft-vee neck that I love. It plays like a dream and I have some sentimental reasons from where I bought it and that I used it as a gigging guitar... nope, not gonna sell it.

2. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

This picture is maybe a better pic of just the copper job I did in the body (my first, LOL)

!Pictures 06-07-12 032.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.