1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I insane?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Munchie99, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

Ha ha had to laugh at this one. No your not insane all it can do if you modify it you will get a better sound and enjoy it more.
    I have a 94 mexican tele. The tele l really wanted was almost 3,000.00. So on mine l changed the pickups to vintage noiseless the same that was on the 3,000.00 and l got the same tele for half the price.

Munchie99 likes this.
  2. GeddonArchon

GeddonArchon TDPRI Member

Once you are in this hobby long enough, if you are like me you figure out what you like. My favorite guitar is a squire strat body with a fender neck and I took it all apart and put it back together with the electronics I wanted. Cost very little compared to what people dump into American series fenders and I would much rather have my creation.

3. turfdoc

turfdoc TDPRI Member

If you really like the neck, then you have an open canvas worth working on.

4. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue TDPRI Member

I'm not the right guy to ask about sanity, but I took my perfectly sensible US-made Highway One Fender Tele and put Jason Lollar pickups in it. Totally happy with my decision.

5. JunebugJones

JunebugJones TDPRI Member

If the guitar delights you and you want to mod it more to your liking, then do it. You can switch it back later, if you decide to use the parts on something else. I have a '90s nPeavey Reactor Tele that I bought for a song years ago. Upgraded the pickups, the pick guard, electronics and the bridge. Spent more on parts than on the original guitar, but it sounds and plays great. To me, that's a great investment in my enjoyment, and it makes sure the guitar actually gets played instead of sitting around gathering dust :)

6. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I have an Epiphone Valve Jr. amp that cost me $129. Did the Bitmo mods, a Weber speaker, new JJ tubes, and a Fender Champ transformer. All told, about $300 in parts and labor, but now this amp is a keeper. So go for it. You are putting good quality parts in the guitar, so it will make it a better guitar.

7. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

That's the only reason I'd want a three-saddle bridge, to look authentic. But that's the whole idea with this guitar, so why not.

Do the holes line up? Or will I need to drill?

8. Munchie99

Yeah, that's the whole list of reasons. This is my idea of fun.

9. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    I would say if the Nocaster pickups weren't from a real Nocaster go for it...my brother-in-law had one of the early Squires...not impressed by the stock item...tuners were awful, my Teisco Del Rey was a better guitar.
    Do it!!! (Watch the Nocasters, tho...please..)

10. Munchie99

These are shiny new Fender '51 Nocaster pickups, sposta be a reincarnation of the real thing. I'll find out. What's the worst that can happen? I have another tele that's a little different.

11. kirby02

kirby02 TDPRI Member

I have a MIA 97-98 Stratocaster that I would hesitate to mod it because I would be afraid the value would drop. I also have a MIM Telecaster (pictured) that I have installed Fender locking tuners, a Fender "Noiseless" pick-up in the bridge position, and a 70's "F" style neck plate. For some reason I feel that mods on anything other than a Fender MIA does not really drive the value down. As I type this I think I sound like a MIA snob but I am not really, my Telecaster is my actually go to electric guitar.

Munchie99 likes this.
  12. Munchie99

I keep telling myself I should get either an American Fender or an American G&L and see how much of a difference I can hear and feel. I have three G&L Tributes (two ASATs and a Legacy) and so far three bullet teles. I've played a couple of American teles at GC, but they were hanging on the wall at GC, probably had been for some time, and they didn't feel right at all. Those folks in Indonesia make a decent guitar for less money.

13. twangdude

twangdude TDPRI Member

Now, that is funny...

14. Lyle2010

Lyle2010 TDPRI Member

What's the harm?
    There's a global pandemic.
    Enjoy.

15. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    If it plays better than when it was stock, you win!
    Is the Nocaster pickup you speak of an aftermarket or a real one? Just curious...

16. Billy3

Billy3 TDPRI Member

If the neck and body are all good. Go to town!!! You can do it if the money is not an issue. The Tele is your oyster! Have some fun with it!

17. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

No- they don’t line up. Drilling and filling required- and the through body holes won’t line up with any “vintage” three saddle type-

I’m doing that same Bullet—-Nocaster type mod myself- I’ve settled on a cheap Chinese set of brass saddles to minimize body work beyond my capabilities at this point :oops:

But for the pickups, take a hard look at Bootstrap Pickups “Original Recipe”. It’s a vintage wound Alnico III pickup handwound in a garage in Ohio for $50 a set. Fender Nocasters are $150 a set.
    I’ve got the bootstraps waiting to go into my Bullet as soon as it arrives...

Long story short GO FOR IT!!!:cool::cool::cool:

18. Munchie99

Real live Fender Nocasters. About the same price as the guitar.

19. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

As the humorist Dave Barry said, "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' "

I have three Squier Teles. I see no problem installing great pickups, even if they cost more than the guitar. The Bullets and Affinities are fine platforms.

OK, gotta go... time for my meds and electro-shock treatment.

20. madhermit

madhermit TDPRI Member

I did that to my Classic Vibe Custom Tele. I upgraded the wiring and pots and put in Nocasters. It is a killer guitar now. Best sounding Tele I have ever heard.

I vote a resounding YES!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.