1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I insane?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Munchie99, Oct 1, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You're no nuts, you've got a case of hot rod-itise.
    It's like getting and old Falcon and working of the engine, adding two in series carburetors and a Band M Hydro Transmission, a high performance rear end and replacing the stock suspension, and maybe just having it look completely stock ,right down to the paint and hubcaps, all this equaling a hot'cha sleeper.

twangdude and Munchie99 like this.
  2. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

You do you.

3. Thebluesman

Thebluesman Tele-Holic

absolutely!learn,diy it etc and with the knowledge gained...mod a gtr to your hearts content with confidence assured every time..

4. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yeah, we live in the golden age of cheap guitars. I'm really impressed with the three Squiers I've bought, each one under $200. Two teles and a mustang HH, which makes some gloriously obnoxious distortion sounds. They were all set up and playable, practically in tune even, right out of the box.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  5. Munchie99

NGD! 701B2ED9-F31D-4868-95FC-22F615E3E412.jpeg

6. Munchie99

All right, I like the neck. Gotta sand the fret ends down a little is all. And the body looks right.

Everything else is meh. And I can’t get the low E string to intonate. Turn the screw in either direction and the pitch changes, but get it back to E, and the 12th fret E stays way sharp no matter what.

So screw it. I’m making Abe Lincoln’s axe anyway. Can anybody recommend a good bridge for a nocaster?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

yeah, me too, what's a good modern bridge for a squire tele?

8. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Looks a lot like mine...

[​IMG]

If 12th fret note is sharp, lengthen the string until open string and 12th fret note are in tune (move saddle away from the nut). Stock bridge works fine, but I noticed that my #1 string kept drifting toward the edge of the fretboard. The fat stock saddles gave no room for adjustment, so I replaced them with thinner ones and now I have room to put the string where it needs to be.

Munchie99 likes this.
  9. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

If the guitar plays well and stays in tune why not.

10. Munchie99

Changed strings (D'Addario 10s, not K-Mart 9s or whatever finger-staining junk was on it) and put a new nut on today. I managed to take a tiny chunk out of the neck trying to get the old nut out. Apparently there was a sale on nut glue in Indonesia that week. I had to score it several times, whang on it, and pry pieces out with pliers, and of course I slipped once. Then I had to file away a layer of encrusted nut/glue composite off the bottom of the slot. Curse you, whichever atypical Indonesian hack happened to be working that day.

But I glued the piece back on, crudely, with Titebond. Clamped it and let it set. I'll see if I can sand it down and fill it in a little, but it's not in the way of my left hand at all. Just a testament to my incompetence.

I haven't glued the nut in yet; it's just string tension. I need to polish it up first.
    Nut1.jpg Nut2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I put a new Tusq nut on my Bullet. The nut was really glued in. I have changed many nuts and this was the toughest to break free. At least you got it replaced.

12. Munchie99

I took it out and worked on the slot a little more just now. I clamped the reglued chunk and carefully filed the top of it so it's flush with the rest of the neck side, and I got the bottom of the slot almost completely flat. Just the teeniest bit of daylight, shadow really, at the very end of the treble side. Sounds fine.

13. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

If you’re doing it as an investment, you’re insane. If you are doing it because you like the guitar, want to experiment and want to make it sound better, why not?

Munchie99 likes this.
  14. themarkjlee

themarkjlee TDPRI Member

Recommendation for replacement bridge.. Wilkinson three saddle ashtray bridge with compensated brass saddles. Will look the part on a Nocaster build and all the ones I've used intonate well. I've used them on several Tele projects they're a big step up from the stock Squire hardware but still reasonably priced.

Ghostdriver likes this.
  15. pdshane

pdshane TDPRI Member

Heartily encouraging you. I've been fooling around with a Squier HH Tele in metallic black. Switched out the pickups for some old Washburns I had laying around and now am going to put on an ebony neck. What I've found is it doesn't matter if the guitar is $100 or a $1000 bucks. They all sound the same, pretty much, when I pick them up.

16. palisade14

palisade14 NEW MEMBER!

I've probably got the same tele (surf green?) waiting for me to put in a set of V-mods I got in a trade. I'm toying with the idea of getting the Strat v-mod middle and making it a Nashville just for the practice, but I'm hung up on the out of phase polarity bit.

17. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

It's totally up to you man. Depending on what you may spend to do this. A CV Tele could be about the same price and, really you would have a better guitar.

18. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

I’ve had good luck sound wise upgrading pickups and bridge on an Affinity. In my experience with that and a cheap Epi LP, the fret ends stick out. Be prepared to do some filing.

19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Holic

I've got a Bullet Strat hardtail that now has Wilkinson vintage tuners, a single humbucker in the bridge, and a 50's LP Jr wiring kit. Do what makes you happy.

20. Swatt101

Swatt101 TDPRI Member

Go for it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.