1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I insane?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Munchie99, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I understand, but I also understand that things change and priorities change sometimes quicker than we expect them to.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  2. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Yes you are. Now please surrender all of your guitars, guitar parts and guitar accessories to me. I’m only doing this because I care about your well being, and I’m curious how it’s going to sound.

Gabrielle84, Munchie99 and mkdaws32 like this.
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I bought two of the Bullet Teles when MF had the $129 sale on. I put the Am Performer Yosemite pickups in the LPB one, and the Tonerider equivalent CV STA3 Alnico 5s in the Surf Green one, and I like them both more than my CVC Tele that came with those STA3s in it. IMO, they're two of the best Teles I've ever owned.
    DSCN1128-2.JPG

4. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

"Am I insane... Yer here, ain'cha?:D:rolleyes:

Jlwctn, Gabrielle84 and mkdaws32 like this.
  5. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

Don’t do it! Are you insane?

6. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

You can order a mod shop telecaster with custom shop 51 nocaster pickups for only $1800.00. And it comes with a elite case.
    My mod shop telecaster has 51 nocaster pickups and a roasted maple neck. Those 51s sound so good thru my Mesa Boogie Recto 25 and that neck is so wonderful to hold.

7. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing to it?

mkdaws32 likes this.
  8. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I have a special affinity ...got it from a buddy . The neck is perfect. I put a Seymour lil 59 and some hot GFS in the middle and the neck. Plus locking tuners and better saddles from GFS.
    Plays sweet....But I am a noob.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  9. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

Of course part of the reason some guitars are cheaper is because of the hardware and electronics used in them. If you get a good basic build and put any decent pickups/electronics in it, as long as intonation and the neck/frets are right,. you can rock.... and gain experience.

You are sane...you can do it :)

mkdaws32 likes this.
  10. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Hey, at least you're saner than Mel Gibson

Telekarster, Munchie99 and mkdaws32 like this.
  11. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Definitely not insane.
    First thing I would do to that Geetar...
    Fret job... leveling and crowning.
    A good neck is half the battle.

12. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

You didn't make it a poll, so I'm not really sure what to do with this.

13. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Are you insane?
    Hmmmmmmm.......

I have a fool-proof way for you to find out, but it's a logistically-problematic method for answering the question.

You see, I am what's known in nature as a Crazy Magnet.
    Yep, insane people, women especially, are drawn to me like a moth to a flame.

A few seasons ago, I was having a conversation with a young engineer with whom I work.

"Hey, JP. How's it going with that young gal you've been seeing? She sure is a beauty, that one."

"Yeah, Spark, she sure is pretty. And it's been going okay, I guess. But you know, I'm just not sure about her. I'm beginning to think maybe she's crazy."

"Crazy, eh? Well, that is a common enough condition. Say, do you want to know for sure? Whether she's certifiably insane or not?"

"Heck yeah I want to know. Before I get too far invested in her."

"Okay, so here's what we do; We will fill a school gymnasium with about a hundred women. I'll walk in the side door, and just stand in one corner. You bring your girlfriend in the front door over yonder, and cut her loose to go mingle. You make an excuse to step away for a bit, like you have to use the bathroom, you understand?"

"Sure, Spark. I bring her in the crowded gymnasium, and then I make an excuse to leave for a few minutes, and I encourage her to walk about and meet people."

"Exactly. That's what you do. And then you wait exactly five minutes, and then you walk back into the gym, and you'll know right away the answer to the crazy question."

"Really? How?"

"It's easy. If you walk into the gymnasium, and she's still milling around and meeting people, then she's probably okay. However, if you walk in and find her all spooned up on me and snuggling, and wanting to move in with me, well, she's........"

"Crazy?"

"BATshiit crazy, my good friend."

"Man, I don't know. It seems like an awful lot of trouble and coordinating to do just to find out whether she's insane or not."

"Eh, it's up to you. Just remember, I offered to help."

"Thanks, Sparky. I appreciate it, sir."

:(

So, long story short, Munchie99, all you have to do is come visit me in a crowded gym, arena, or large sporting event.

If, within fifteen minutes or so you are wanting to spend more time with me, and ask keep a toothbrush at my house, you are indeed certifiable, sir.

:eek::oops:

Gabrielle84 and Munchie99 like this.
  14. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Honestly, I gave some good hard thought to buying a custom shop neck for my Squier CV. So like a $1000 neck on a $400 guitar.

I didn't and instead ended up finding a really nice AVRI that I absolutely adore, but I definitely gave some thought to modding the hell out of that CV with some top of the line stuff. It was a nice guitar, good bones.

So some nice pickups in a Squier Bullet doesn't seem so outrageous.

15. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

I've seen much crazier on this forum, so knock yourself out.

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Forget the labels, they don't matter now. Do you really like the neck? The best money you can spend on a guitar is with a good luthier for a first class setup. The pros just do it better. Get the nut slots right, get the frets right, get the adjustments right. If the bones are good, it will play as well as the most expensive guitar you've ever played. Or better.

Those 51 Nocaster pickups are excellent, and you won't regret spending a few bucks on the control cavity stuff at the same time.

I did that with a Squire Standard about 10-12 years ago. Fender OVs, a four-way switch, and a $75 pro setup. It's an absolutely outstanding guitar, and I have less than $300 in it.

17. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I love the neck on my Squier Bullet BSB, so I play it a lot. I tried to get on with the stock pickups. Kept them in there for months, but eventually decided they weren't gonna do it for me. I needed a noiseless option so I replaced them with Dimarzio Area T's. The guitar is simply delightful to play now. So yeah, do it.

18. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Yeah, I wish now I'd bought two. Instead I paid $179, or was it $199, for the sparkly red one, which now has Lollars and a 920D control plate. My original idea was to keep the blue one stock to compare with. But I've compared enough.

And yet! Now I'm thinking that if I want to go full Nocaster, I need a butterscotch blonde with a black pickguard. Life is a series of choices, enit?

19. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Okay, it's on. GC in my neighborhood has a Bullet Squier, butterscotch blonde with a maple neck, $179, curbside pickup. Once I have it in hand and it isn't a dog, I'm ordering some insides. I'm insane!

bls82261 likes this.
  20. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Do it, and let us know how you like it! Having done the fretwork, etc. on my Bullet Tele and playing it awhile, I'll be replacing the pickups in it before long, so am always interested in the relative success of upgrades.

I think modern guitar making is a bit like winemaking: the technology for making both has improved to the point where low cost can produce solid results. I've been playing guitar for 50 years and have a pretty good sense of what's good or not—and the recent Bullets are surprisingly good, with some potential for being great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.