1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I hanging onto my big amps because they're a security blanket?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chris m., Nov 30, 2020.

1. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Ehh.. I don't give it much thought. 20190718_183733 (1).jpg

2. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Unless they're just taking up too much space or you need the money, I'd just keep them.

I have two loud amps -- a '73 Twin Reverb and a Hayseed 30 -- which are far more amp than I have any need for. I bought both used for more than reasonable prices, have the large basement space to play them at relatively modest volume levels, and they both sound glorious, so I have no real urge to sell either. That said it's been over 15 years since my last gig, and if I had to regularly lug an amp to a gig I would definitely look at getting a more portable amp.

What I do need to purge are some old synths/samplers and rack gear that I never use.

3. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

All your amps together don't take up as much room as my Marshall Stack which I haven't had out of the house in severals years. Unless you need to money and/or the space, they aren't hurting anything and they won't lose any more value.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

My back decided it for me. I had a 100-watt Marshall JCM combo for a long time and a 90 lb Peavey bass amp. Screwed up my back 8 years or so ago and ended up getting rid of everything that weighed over 50 lbs.

I bought the Marshall when I was young and thought I was gonna be rich and famous and playing arenas. For all but two of my gigs it was overkill. Now I've got three good amps, none over 20-watts. Plenty of wattage for anywhere I'm gonna play now.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you don’t need the money, and you don’t need the space, keep em. Think of it as money in the bank, in case you ever really do need either A) a large and powerful amplifier, or B) Actual money in the bank.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

yeah, but you never know when Rush might need a guitar player for the new formed band, so you hold on to them waiting for the call.....

Alcohen and black_doug like this.
  7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

One thing cool about the Orange head is apparently that's what one of my heroes, Jimmy Page, is using these days.....imagine if you are a big NASCAR or Formula 1 fan and you had the exact same race car sitting in your driveway....even though you almost never get to run it at 200 mph....it's still cool.

8. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just love the sound of a BFSR. However, I would also never buy one now, at this time, with so many good PA’s. There’s just no reason to. My 22 watt Z-28 through a 2x10 cab gets me close enough.

DDickens and DavidP like this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I still have the Super Reverb and JC120 on my wish list...ear plugs are cheap :twisted:.

tubelectron and mexicanyella like this.
  10. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Call me an enabler, but it doesn't seem like you have a lot of duplication. If you had a Showman AND a Twin AND a Super Reverb AND a Vibrolux AND a Bassman, it would be easier to say, "yeah, I don't need all these loud amps, which ONE of these do I really need to keep?"

And you're absolutely doing the right thing plugging them all in regularly -- that helps keep the electrolytic caps formed. Sort of like how it's good not to let a classic car sit for too long. :cool:

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I think a lot of us did that, purchased stacks and half-stacks thinking we were going to be famous someday. or at the very minimum, pretending that we already were...

ruger9, Dismalhead and stratoman1 like this.
  12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I totally get where you are coming from. 15-20 years ago those higher wattage amps made sense. Now my loudest amp is a 30-35 watt THD Bivalve. My lower watt amps get played more while practicing. I'm not yet ready to let go of anything at this point.

13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I sold my Peavey Classic 50 2x12, which I had since the ‘90s. I miss it, because it sounded really great. But I realized I would never need an amp that big. Right now a Deluxe Reverb is my “big” amp, and I am perfectly happy. But the Peavey 50 was great, and I would have saved money by keeping it. It took me forever to sell, and I got so little for it that it cost me money to buy something smaller.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

We may be the last generations of humans that have any real fondness for those old amps.
    Consider it stewardship.

Folks collect art glass, tacky figurines, shrubbery, vacation homes they stay in a few weeks a year.
    Toss the coffee table, end tables, hutch if you have one, and put classic amps in your living room to be seen enjoyed and even played through now and then since they’re already out!
    Keep the Super Reverb by the TV and plug in if some show has a tune you’d like to learn quick.

Notable also is what I consider the fact that there are some medium volume sounds you really need a bigger amp turned down to get.
    Either clean sounds, or sounds with fuzz where pushing a smaller amp loses articulation.

I’ve gradually grown weary of the weakness in under 20w amps to maintain tight bass when very distorted. Go to a bigger amp and you get more clarity without more volume.

I’m still trying to find a sweet spot amp size for muffs at feedback volume, and a 28w Carr Hammerhead gets clearer low notes than my 18w TMB amps.

Really, 50w amps are not all that big compared to the big amps era.
    I could see selling if you had a bunch of 100w four input Marshall’s that stay stiff clean up to 150w, but those 45-50w amps are really not BIG amps!

15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have a DRRI and my 1985 Carvin X-Amp. Both are too loud at gigs to get grind. I use pedals for that. I will not carry around a big amp, and fortunately, I don't own any.

16. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

When I was in my twenties and even thirties, I never had the money for a half stack. And I really didn't even have somewhere to store it until I got my first house, which didn't happen until I turned 30.

I finally got a scratch'n'dent 4X12 cab in my early forties. Musician's Friend dropped it in their warehouse, so the original plan was just to harvest the four Celestion Seventy 80s out of it. It turns out I was able to actually rebuild and salvage the cab, albeit not as anything pretty.

I think I had the 4X12 cab for only a few years before I realized that I don't need anything more than a 2X12 cab, and also that I tend to prefer an open-back cab most of the time.

My logic had nothing to do with thinking I would be famous or whatever, because I knew that wasn't going to happen. It was more just that I finally had a Marshall head in my possession, and I'd convinced myself that the only way to properly use and experience it was with a 4X12.

And now more time's gone by, and I'm in my fifties. And there's just no more logic to keeping the 4X12. But with the present situation, I just couldn't imagine anyone wanting to buy it.

telemnemonics and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I've been half looking for people trying to unload big amps for cheap in wake of the current situation. Anyone know if they made a 2×12 peavey butcher? I already have SS peaveys in my basement, my wife can't tell them apart....

Fingers crossed for after Christmas. Hoping to score one of the B52 Mesa copies, and maybe the Bugera plexi.

I miss my AB165 bassman. The stupid pyramid cabinet wasn't great, but the amp sure was.

I'll never part with my UL Fender 75, but it's the only thing I'd consider big I have now. Only thing I'd play an outdoor festival without a mic at least....

Dismalhead likes this.
  18. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

With ya, Rearranged to my 6 main heads & 4x12's in recording area after massive a/b wars for 2 years. Out in the hall-desk for work & workstation is marshall jtm45,Silverface Fender Super 6, Silverface Fender Super. mesa f150, mesa mk3 red stripe, mesa dc3, mesa dc5,mesa rectoverb, Peavey blues classic 50, 68 bassman, DSL50 & prob some others out in bandroom, few peaveys & marshalls out there.. hallamps.jpg

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The last 4X12 I had sounded awesome, but...
    received_369751690830759~2.jpg

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  20. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

What Peavey is that, with the 15 and invader zim under the grill?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.