Am I going crazy? Or are used guitar prices plummetting in this economy?

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Unhip gear doesn't seem to be moving at any price. I've got a Carvin PB200 head with one bad channel (still has 80w @ 8 ohms) and it got no takers even at $20.It's actually in the pile to take to electronics recycling.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
I'm not following prices that closely, but none of the many things I have up for sale now are getting any responses. A year ago, it would have been very different. Was very different. Buyers are not buying.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I'm still looking for all those $200 MIM strats that I used to always read about...

I haven't noticed used prices dropping around here, but I've got cash in hand if it happens.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Meister
Great score!!!!

Same thing happened in 2010 when it became very apparent that consumables were going up in price, and wouldn't be coming down any time soon....

I ended up selling my hand wired amps at just above cost, and closed shop for good. Retired now and loving it.... still build amps for fun, it's an addiction lol....

2804Penn

TDPRI Member
I think the market is saturated. Fender sold more guitars during the thing than ever in company history. Folks are going back to the office vs telework and can’t play as much, add rising costs for necessities=lots of guitars getting listed.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Great score!

Around here, the prices on guitars has not declined, but tube amps sure have. I have seen a couple of Mesa and old Twins drop over $300 in a week. If that trend continues, I might have to scoop something up and keep my fingers crossed that I don't end up needing to sell it later.

I think that word "recession" has spurred the sellers impulse in many areas. If you are young enough to not live through such an era, you might be a little freaked out right now.

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
Great score!

Around here, the prices on guitars has not declined, but tube amps sure have. I have seen a couple of Mesa and old Twins drop over $300 in a week. If that trend continues, I might have to scoop something up and keep my fingers crossed that I don't end up needing to sell it later.

I think that word "recession" has spurred the sellers impulse in many areas. If you are young enough to not live through such an era, you might be a little freaked out right now.

I've seen retailers offering some pretty decent discounts on new amps. What amps they have in stock anyway...which aren't very plentiful given the chip shortages.

johmica

Tele-Afflicted
On EBay there are a couple of MIM Strats and Jazzmasters that are way over priced. I'm watching to see what direction they take. Generally speaking I don't see any real trends at the moment.
My suggestion is to make unreasonably low offers. What I've found is that more often than not, they'll either be accepted or outright, or they'll be greeted with reasonable counter-offers.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I wonder if we've reached a point in the market where people who picked up the instrument for the first time during the pandemic (and bought up all the new inventory) are now letting go of their stuff and flooding the used market.

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
But if yer geetar is bass-awkwards, is it a guitar anymore, or rather a bass? And if it's not a bass, is it perhaps... a pike?

Ok, I'll throw myself out now.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
They aren't dropping much. Sellers are still asking near list price for used instruments, at least for the instruments that I check out from time to time.
People are still spending money like there is no tomorrow. Look at restaurants. They are packed. The new UAFX pedals aren't cheap but the first distribution sold out quickly like money was no object.

schoech1

TDPRI Member
I've been looking for a particular american pro I tele and prices are starting to come down on some of these. In 2018 I paid 1100 for something similar and they're about 1350 now, but one year to 18 months ago, they were about 1600. Not really a money decision on buying, just haven't found the right thing yet.