Am I Getting Screwed?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TheDTrain, Sep 23, 2013.

1. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Sold my Peavey C50 410 to a kid from NY. Power tubes less than 45 hrs use new preamp tubes. Checked everything and it worked fine. Today I get this text from him the amp needs repairs he wants cash back. I think I'm being screwed cause everything worked perfect when I checked it. Any opinions?

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Probably buyer's remorse, kid may have been expecting it to be something that it's not.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Send him a coupon for Subway. Sounds like he needs a sammich.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

What kind of repairs? He needs to be specific and tell him you'll need to speak with the amp tech whose advising him that it needs repair and you'll also need a written estimate from the tech. If he's just screwing with you that should slow him down some.

This is a pretty old gambit he's running. I don't think it's as much buyer's remorse as it is a game to see if he can get you to fork over some cash. He wants it for less than you'd have accepted so he agrees to the price then says it needs repairs and wants a kickback. Sounds conveniently fishy doesn't it?

I sold a car to a guy years ago and came down about 10% or $500 on price to move it for cash right then and there. Four hours later the guy calls me and tells me the transmission blew on him. BS, I had that car for four years and never had one problem with the transmission.

So I asked him to bring it back and we'd take it to my mechanic and have him evaluate it and figure out how it happened since he'd just checked it all over before I put it up for sale. The guy said OK he'd bring it right over and of course he didn't and I never heard from him again. My opinion is the guy is just trying to run some game on you.

5. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

i agree with Soulman 969. Make him prove his claim.

6. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

For me there is absolutely no expressed or implied warranty when buying private party used gear. I would not even entertain the discussion. If someone wants retail service and warranty go to a retail store.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

You could let him bring it back (at his expense and time) for you to check. A friend of mine that buys and sell tons of gear has learned that quite a few people out there do not know how to use gear correctly. Maybe he is dimeing the amp, or a cable is loose or a pedal's battery is dead. If he brings it back and it sounds fine to you, then he has mud on his face and you can sell it to someone else.

Good luck and what a bummer.

8. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

i applaud you fezz. you've just soothed my somewhat rough day with gut wrenching laughter!

9. fezz parka

My job is done!

10. Frodebro

You deserve a sammich....

11. fezz parka

Naw, I'm workin'. Sammiches and RE27's don't go together.

12. Frodebro

Bananas and SM57s are a bad combination as well. Don't ask me how I know this...

13. fezz parka

:lol:

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

+1.

Had a good laugh.

Make the kid prove it. No money back and done deal. Can't send something back just because it's not a shred machine.

15. Frodebro

That's actually a true story. I wound up letting the guy keep the mic.

16. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Only if you let it happen. Unless you gave the buyer some kind of warranty, or you have to deal with some kind of buyer protection policy (like eBay or the like), it's strictly the buyer's responsibility to make sure he knows what he's buying and that it works and is suitable to his needs.

Most of us want to do the right thing by a buyer, we want to make sure we're selling something that is fairly described, priced right, and leaves both parties happy with the deal. Unfortunately there are a lot of jerks out there. You have no control over what he might have done to the thing, and no idea whether he can even operate the amp.

I'd send him back a polite note saying that the amp was in working order when he purchased it, and that you're sorry that it didn't meet his expectations, but from your standpoint the deal is closed.

17. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I wouldnt care about it , I just sold it......!
    Thats not to say that I would sell anything defective with me knowing about it.
    Its just that everyone whines about this and that when they buy used , over the internet bla-bla. Tough luck , some times life aint fair , deal with it

18. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

Sold "as is" you owe him nothing further

19. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

That's how I see it I was just curious this is my first bad experience as a seller or buyer. I checked the amp it was fine, he's saying its not making any sound. I shook the walls with it Saturday.

20. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

...maybe he just forgot to mention the "after I spilled my 44 ounce Super Big Gulp on it" part before telling you the "...not making any sound" part? :)

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, perhaps the buyer is just making some simple mistake (forgot to turn up the master volume from zero?). But unfortunately it's also quite likely that he damaged the amp (perhaps by playing through it at full volume with no speaker connected?) and now wants you to pay for his mistake.

A friend of mine once owned a small RC toy mail-order store, and some of the stories he told me about customers trying to rip him off were really bothersome. There are a lot of people out there with more or less zero sense of ethics or fairness or willingness to take responsibility for their own actions.

In related news, a while ago I read the results of a survey of a large number of high-school students; 96% of them said, yes, of course, they would cheat on an exam if they could do it without being caught.

-Gnobuddy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.