Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by edd677, Apr 19, 2009.

1. edd677

edd677 Tele-Meister

This doesn't really have a lot to do with teles, but...
    I have some money set aside for a new acoustic, which I am in need of. I have been having so much fun though building my ash tele that I have decided to use that money to invest in some literature, materials, and a whole bunch of tools to build my own acoustic. Am I crazy? Anyone else around here build their own?

2. teleblues001

teleblues001 Tele-Meister

Google "Steve Dickie Youtube". He has a series of vids where he builds a acoustic from ground zero working from plans. It's very informative. After I watched his vids, I went to his site. He has a very interesting take on a single cutaway acoustic.

And no, you're not crazy.

3. 9-Pin-Phoenix

9-Pin-Phoenix TDPRI Member

If you have to ask, you already know the answer. :D

Have a ball making your own acoustic!
    :D:cool:

4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Yes , you are , and I have certified it . There is currently a thread on this forum that is dealing with this very thing . Probably not in the detail you are looking for , but I feel that all info is good , even the bad stuff . We do learn from mistakes .

5. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

By building your own acoustic, you just might learn something ........... and that's a good thing. Not for me though ........ no interest in acoustic guitars at this time and I'm sure if I built one it wouldn't be as good as my Martin.

6. edd677

edd677 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all your encouragement

Ill definitely check it out, thanks for the info
    I have three books on order, guitar makers workshop, guitar makers manual, and guitar making: tradition and technology.

7. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Martin's guitar makers shop located in their original building is a wonderful source for tools , etc. I know that it is not in your back yard , but If you get the chance to go to the Martin factory and take the tour you will not regret it . And it's free . The UMGF is a good forum for info just as this one is for electrics . Some day I'll get the guts to try an acoustic . Until then , my Martins will do just fine . You are going to learn sooo much .

8. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have done several.

StewMac, Martin, and Luthiers Merchantile International are all excellent sources of material, supplies and plans.

It might take you a couple of tries to find your mark...in my case on my third one I got to the point where people quit asking me, "Is that a real guitar or did you build it?"

9. edd677

edd677 Tele-Meister

I figured as much, to start off I am just going to build one out of the cheapest decent materials I can find, so far i have a really nice ziricote fingerboard I picked up for 15 dollars, and have my eye on some western red cedar on ebay, as well as some koa for the back and sides. I was actually planning on buying a handbuilt guitar from a luthier around here so I will have a fair bit to spend on this instead. Think I will pick up a bandsaw (for other stuff as well), new drill press, and a variety of hand planers and chisels to start off. I sure need to do some serious reading though before I start.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.