1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I crazy? Thinking on moving to New Orleans.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hey @deytookerjaabs , since your wife is from Florida and in the disaster response industry, it seems to me that you are both very prepared, knowledgeable and I can't imagine a better place for her career, so I take back what I said earlier. You are in a unique situation that makes what sounds like a crazy idea more reasonable if not advantageous.

Best of luck.

What is with all of the dead fish on the beaches there everytime I visit and go for a run on the sand anyway?

telemnemonics and deytookerjaabs like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Oh man, you shared the magic words 'she is 'into it''... if mama happy, all is good. Go have an adventure!

Good parents overcome 'bad schools' or impacted schools... it all becomes part of a person's narrative anyway... Part of the adventure will shape your kids, which is fine. We chose some specific things in raising our kids, one was not protecting them so that the world was a total shock when they got into it.

I don't think being 'hermetically sealed' is necessarily safer, and having challenges teaches us to improvise and overcome...

You know what you are doing... go for it.

Obsessed and deytookerjaabs like this.
  3. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

The most New Orleans thing I witnessed the first time I was there was watching the biggest roach I've ever seen in my life walking down the sidewalk, in broad daylight, just like everyone else, like he was on his way to work or something. So I guess I'm saying, yeah, go for it.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  4. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I grew up in Detroit Mi. As soon as I had a child I moved to Boulder Co (mid 70’s so it was still affordable). Best move I ever made.

5. CordovaNate

CordovaNate TDPRI Member

Buy a House Boat, live in any costal or major river city you like.

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

We got asked to leave a bar on Bourbon Street as the owner was worried about the place getting wrecked by football fans. In the UK that counts as a refurbishment.

7. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I think you should spend a LOT of time in NOLA before you decide to actually move there, even weekend trips. I've never been there but just sayin' that if it were me, I would take long weekends and vacations there and would probably do this for well over a year before making my final decision before I moved there or anywhere for that matter. You need to really get to "know" the area/state/people/hood, etc. as much as possible. Go off the beaten path outside of the tourist traps... what's it "really" like? I would also talk to the people who actually live in the area you're looking at and try to get their honest, unbiased, opinions as much as possible. Look at all the official stats, local/state/fed about all the major areas of concern.

Another area of concern often overlooked are... critters! Be sure you know and understand what types of critters live there vs. TN for example. Buddy of mine moved to TX from Ohio once and failed to consider the massive fire ants, rattlesnakes, and big hairy spiders that part of TX was prone to! LOL!!! You shoulda heard some of those stories... ;) He didn't live there long... :)

Remember - Knowledge is power and the more knowledge you have, the more informed decision you will be able to make. Leave no stone unturned.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And yet millions live in Houston...

9. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

You were on Bourbon? Well that'd be your first mistake. :p

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Those are places you go for fun, but you don't want to live there!

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Your list reminds me of another town in a movie

Since it's Halloween...

12. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I`ve spent a lot of time there, lived on the west bank. Loved everything about it. Then again, no hurricanes came thru during my time. Still, if given the opportunity I would move back.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My next big travel trip, when we can, will be to Mexico ( Baja) , then all states south on a musical holiday
    to all states and Nashville and New Orleans. I figure I'll get some good music here , there and everywhere.
    So no you are not crazy. The weather ( storms ) would worry me if I lived there so insurance has to go with the property first.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Today I'm wondering if emergency relief professionals are wise to live in a place where first responders need to rescue the emergency relief professionals before those professioanls can see to getting relief to the first responders and flooded out residents?

Even if home is on higher ground there may be no electricity, internet, water or sewer?

15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I was in southern Illinois staying for a bit around 2008 or so, maybe '09. Crazy storm, not sure if it was technically a derecho or what but they referred to it as an inland hurricane on the local news. Power goes out and when we called the electricity company initially there was a "within 8 hours" expectation. 12 hours go by and the recording said "unknown," uh oh...

The first night we met all the neighbors on the block. There was a bonfire in the backyard with my roommates, girlfriend and about 20 other people. It was a good time. That evening social club, folks dropping by every night, lasted about 6 more days before the electricity came back on. Before you knew it I was on a first name basis with damn near every neighbor in our square mile because no one knew what to do besides go out an meet the neighbors. We got so much help and vice versa from others with different skill sets.

As inconvenient as it was we were lucky the old house we rented was okay and it was an experience like I'll never forget.

16. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

I remember when that storm hit the Chicago area. I got on the highway and raced home; if I hadn't, I would have been stuck behind all kinds of downed trees and debris. Crazy--I never thought that kind of weather could happen on this area.

17. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Wow. Asking advice about moving on a guitar forum is pretty dangerous. Moving is pretty expensive and can be traumatic. I can only see one reason to move from one place to another and that’s if it makes financial sense to do so. For example, if you retire & want to reduce expenses by moving somewhere cheaper, that makes sense. However lots of thought and evaluation have to go into something like that. Getting advice From forum rabble about such an important and personal decision makes no sense.

18. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

My daughter went to Tulane, and my wife and I visited often... a great place to visit... my favorite southern town.

My first question is: have you ever been through four of five major hurricanes in a season... in an area that floods? Have you ever been without water and electricity for weeks at a time? And you can look forward to the distinct possibility that will be repeated every hurricane system.

The city is hot, humid, and full of tourists for most of the year. The roads are the worst ever. There's lots of poverty. The crime rate and violent crime is high (but I guess being from Chicago, you're used to that). The cost of living is high relative to most southern cities.

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but a huge plus for NOLA is its people. As a whole, the people in that town are the friendliest, nicest, most hospitable anywhere, and they love their city.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    teleblastard6 and deytookerjaabs like this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well playing guitar doesn't make financial sense for most of us but we do it anyhow!
    I could have lived in nicer places too for the cost of playing music, bummer.

As far as us being rabble unworthy of making life choice suggestions?
    Who IS worthy?
    We all gotta make choices and most of us here are old and adventurous enough have been at a whole lotta crossroads.

Harry Styron and deytookerjaabs like this.
  20. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

How describing or accurate is the series Treme?

telemnemonics and deytookerjaabs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.