1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I crazy? Thinking on moving to New Orleans.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Oct 25, 2020.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

The music scenes are very very different.

Not sure how to put this but I'll try...

If you took 2/3rds to 3/4's of the musicians playing out in New Orleans and swapped them into Nashville they'd be playing to near-empty venues. And, it works vice versa.

First off, in New Orleans you don't just have some Jazz, Jazz is there in all it's formats, boogie, bop, blues, et cetera and people actually watch folks play it damn near every night, and seem to get off on it in clubs all over town. This is very confusing to me. I think they've long forgotten what year it is. Go study jazz in any city in America that's not NO or NY, and your nights bustin' ass on the stand will be met with an applaud or a tiny group of folks holding their eyebrows so high they'd forgotten the purpose of going out is to have fun. In fact big educators say two things when in school "drop out and move to New York" or "drop out and move to New Orleans."

Second, New Orleans has raunchy dive blues the way it was meant to be. I bumped into a little spot when I was down there where a few oldster fellas were just laying down some filthy stank. Filthy, rotten Oscar The Grouch flavored stank. It was just nasty with none of that "I'm a blues artist, please look but be quiet and don't touch" crap like you see now in Chicago on Halsted.

Third, New Orleans has newer bands that still play, I mean like those groups where a few dudes and maybe a girl get together and try to write "rock-n-roll-ish" music themselves. Phhhh, again, talk about forgetting what year it is, these kids are lost but there they are in this little world of dives that will take them in.

Fourth, they still do a bit of country western (the only country BTW) and zydeco and all that other odd stuff down there. You'd think I'm talking crazy talk but you don't know until you go!

2. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Yea well....

True or not you still must decide. I suggest common sense not prognosticators who profit off fear. They are only able to do so by people not being prepared. I avoid the tabloid news cycle and when I dip in out of curiosity and hit upon some dire news I feel secure in the fact I'm prepared

I probably read too many prepper type books but have aways strived to be self sufficient. One thing I've gathered is it's harder to do in cities. You have to chose rural or urban based on pros and cons.

I'm convinced it's a no brainer for the rest of 2020 at least to stay the heck out of major US and A cities!

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  3. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Well, you sold me! When we moving?????

LOL! Dang, you are hooked, huh??? Good for you. My only advice is 'there's only one way to find out'. Good luck to you and your family, I hope it works out for you.

4. deytookerjaabs

Yeah, as per the "raise children" thing.

My personal family history, myself, my grandparents, great and great great grandparents were all inner city folk. Most Chicago, a few out east. And, real urban living has always had a more in-your-face facet to the ups & downs of society, IMO. When you encounter hundreds of folks block to block, you're going to get it all.

As for the first little one, the missus and I both agree that even at age 6 she's not going to be a country bumpkin or a suburban sally. Personally, I like either total rural stare at the cornfields to slow life down living, or I like being in the middle of it all type living. The 'burbs are (which is basically Nashville), eh.

drmordo likes this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You aren't crazy your just curious, a sign of life.
    1.)Hurricanes
    2.) Floods
    3.) More Hurricanes that are growing stronger. more floods and hurricanes.
    I ask myself why would I move on to a floodplain with more hurricanes that are increasing in destructiveness. Hot Humid weather. Alligators and Cotton Mouths.
    soggy fairways ,water traps with alligators. Sure you could move to the southwest and enjoy the warm arid climate and diminishing water supply, Rattlesnakes and parched fairways, dry water traps with giant scorpions.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I live in a destination town, not as big a deal as New Orleans but we get the tourists season boom and then lose jobs in the off season, the tourism/ entertainment/ service industry based economy, the slave to weather and sensitive to storm damage.
    Plus, or BUT, now city folks want to move here because it's a destination but NOT a city.
    Problem is, there's not much of an economy that isn't tourism based, and due to high property values for business, locals cannot afford to own in nice parts of the county.

I think much of what we are saying here is you guys have it tough, not you guys and your town suck.

Maybe most on the TDPRI are funded at a small business owner level, as opposed to a service industry worker level?
    Which one you are makes a big difference when looking at a new city!

7. telemnemonics

Yeah that's him!
    Owns a nice bridge with nobody living under it ATM?

getbent and deytookerjaabs like this.
  8. deytookerjaabs

I'll tell you how crazy it is.

The missus is more gung ho about going to New Orleans than I am and she's in management in disaster relief. Every damn hurricane that breathes on a US coast puts her in "all hands on deck" mode. She's deployed to Louisiana a couple times in the past few years. And, she grew up in Florida.

Between my inner city history and her hurricane history we're both nutso.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

You said “prepared” twice and “prepper” (!) once.

Ok.

another thing to do with dire news is: question it.

And whether or not the people that are telling you the dire news are profiting from it or have an ulterior motive.

But you know that.

The general area where I live strikes fear in the hearts of many many people. And the vast majority of those people have never been here.

Also, the common sense shown by this area and the people within it has told our tale so far…

Back to NOLA ! To the OP : go ! As long as your family says it’s OK…

10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

so you'd say NO is acceptable, a great place to live. groovy.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz small duane.jpg

11. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

12. telemnemonics

I agree in terms of having the impression that the music you're referring to is unique to that town and a national treasure.
    The other thing though, or my impression is, and correct me if I'm wrong; is that there is a great divide between all the money in tourism there, as compared to the standard of living enjoyed by all those musicians.

Might be a cliche, but it seems like wealthy educated fortunate sons are not the most convincing tellers of the tales of roots Blues and Jazz.
    the great music is maybe due to the community where there is great suffering?

Send all the kids to good schools in new clothes with bright futures in six figure business jobs?
    No true Blues will flourish in that disinfected dish.

Is the old cliche not actually grounded in truth?

I'm referring more to the idea that the fortunate can only fake Blues and old time rootsy funky Jazz.
    But of course a city with much suffering might be where you want to be, not my decision!
    I just have a lot of conflict around celebrating folk hardship, partly from living in an economy where the wealthy are waited on and entertained by the poor.
    That industry supports and depends on poverty being maintained.

Of course there are cities where the poor got great high paying jobs in auto and aviation industry, grew strong families in big working middle neighborhoods funded by manufacturing, then the factories closed and tent cities emerged along the streets of abandoned homes.
    So maybe if folks have to be poor somewhere, this isn't a bad model for poverty.
    Again though, am I wrong to assume there is a lot of poverty in New Orleans, along side of tourists having a blast?

Might just be my own issues, and maybe supporting poor musicians who live in substandard conditions is a good thing to do.
    Kind of keeps things as they are though.
    All the tourist industry money floods in and most entertainers get very little of it?
    Almost like a Disney ride but corporate doesn't have to pay to maintain it.

13. telemnemonics

Hahahahahahahaha my wife and i are both nutso too!
    She would move there without a thought, but I'm tired or emergency management, both city and country style.

14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

15. Oxidao

Oxidao TDPRI Member

Well... not experience really on New Orleans (I've never been there), nor the wisest here either, but as far as you ask...

I can see passion on the Pros, things that make you FEEL.
    Music, food, the beauty of old vibes and your querency for diving (not scuba, right? (I never heard that expression before)).
    All of them straight to your soul.

'Contras': Are you kidding?, don't you have ANY single practical or existencial important thing to point?.
    I'm sorry, didn't want to be rude, I'm sure you got them, and understand don't want to blah blah here.

Some kind of 'what if...' thing?. C'est la vie.
    Maybe a temporary try?

Don't you wanna come over here to my home in Spain, and let me be at your fancy neighbourhood in NASHVILLE for a while?

Good luck !

StevesBoogie and deytookerjaabs like this.
  16. deytookerjaabs

Hmmm.

Not sure where to start with this idea. I think appreciating craftsmanship of something enough to engage in it at the risk of being low-income is more about passion/love for the thing and less about martyrdom. Many folk can't always grasp that concept but it rings true in all sorts of disciplines. In fact, many believe that if you're not doing something for the pursuit of capital then it's simply because you're not capable of doing that particular thing on a talent/intellectual level, which is pretty funny.

As it relates to New Orleans, from my limited viewing it felt like once you step off the couple famous streets the little corner venues were filled with, gasp, locals! As in, a good portion of that town sill seems to go out a few nights here or there. If my impression was correct, I like that and it's this & that which feeds the various forms of entertainment.

Harry Styron likes this.
  17. Oxidao

Oxidao TDPRI Member

Kind of contradictorious with your 'firm' below?
    Maybe it's my poor understanding of English or some luck of sense of humor.

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Oh the humidity!

19. Oxidao

Oxidao TDPRI Member

sorry, that reply was for OBSESSED.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The criticisms of NOLA seem to fall into three buckets
    1. About NOLA specifically
    2. About any city
    3. The coming apocalypse.

I guess 2 and 3 apply if you remain in Nashville.

Oxidao and deytookerjaabs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.