1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I crazy? Thinking on moving to New Orleans.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Oct 25, 2020.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I’ve lived in the Lake Charles area and worked all throughout southern Louisiana. My grandparents are from there and I’m half Cajun. Even if I didn’t have personal issues with certain people and companies over there I’d still say I’d only visit the region and not live there.

Big_Bend and deytookerjaabs like this.
  2. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Waiting for

Boris Bubbanov to reply!!

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I dunno. I don't like the look of that rock.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I heard weather patters will be stabilizing in the next couple of years.
    Sea lever is dropping too, down about a foot a year lately.
    Flooding is really not a big deal, only a few people in polls say they have a problem with flooding.
    Hot humid summers?
    Stay indoors!
    Plus it's getting cooler every summer, soon the Bayou will be like the Maine coast.
    Besides, you won't have to worry about drought.
    And nobody plays the Blues then them that's got 'em!

Obsessed and deytookerjaabs like this.
  5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah - that’s what I meant ! :lol:

All I know is because of the whole damn situation , our trip to go down there and stay with him while we explore New Orleans has been put off for a little bit…

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

Well that's not really fair to all the financially strapped entertainers ready to perform for tourists in order to make a buck!
    Be fair to all those service industry workers who entertain us for peanuts!
    Service industry workers don't get enough respect.

Obsessed and deytookerjaabs like this.
  7. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

I'm on the side of thinking it's one of the world's great cities, but I still wouldn't want to live there. Most of the stuff that makes the place great would get old real quick for me and all the stuff that makes it bad would only become more prominent with time.

Also you're severely underestimating the heat and humidity if you think that it's only unlivable through August. It's probably just now getting tolerable, that's certainly how it works here in North Florida and it's probably worse there.

scrapyardblue and deytookerjaabs like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That sounds amazing! Especially the part about drinking the Kool-Aid.

DekeDog, CharlieO and deytookerjaabs like this.
  9. telemnemonics

Yeah I joined a group of selected Muricans who have the inside scoop on everything.
    I only join clubs that accept me!
    All I had to do to get in was take that drink!

10. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

100% Insane!

Do you keep up with the news in US and A?

It's not NOLA per se but ANY major city! WAY too much unrest that promises to get worse before better especially this time of year.

I'd be seriously disinclined to move my family to a large city during the current atmosphere.

11. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Two hours away in Mobile which is sometimes called New Orleans light. Haven’t been over since the ‘rona.

Like everywhere some crime and problems, one must be street aware.

Personally I love New Orleans, but I like cities.

12. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It might be a great place if your Hobby is Scuba Diving. They have great places to eat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Café_du_Monde

Love getting "Hustled?" N'Orleans that's the Place.

Place for Kids? I don't think so.

Lost_N_Austin

telemnemonics and deytookerjaabs like this.
  13. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

I honestly don't have any advice and I am finding the responses entertaining. But, I am curious about your scenario in one regard.

You are putting the music scene at the top of your priorities and you live in Nashville aka 'Music City'. Is the music scene truly that much better in NO than in Nashville? I guess it's the type of music you are inferring? FYI, I've never been to either city but would jump at the chance.

teleblastard6 and deytookerjaabs like this.
  14. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Hey, what do you know, I live in New Orleans and it's rather disheartening to see what so many people seem to think of the city based upon a quick visit, a news article, etc... New Orleans is many things, but easily to understand or pinhole is not one of them. It might not be the popular internet activity, but perhaps ill informed hot-takes on a loved home to many people should be filtered through the rule of Thumper.

I might suggest that now is not the best time to move here if you don't have a job lined up. There ain't many out there and we have a lot of people out of work who want them. To top it off rent prices are being driven up by those fleeing larger cities to work remotely in a 'hip' place. If you really want to move here you can make it happen, but you'll need a plan.

drmordo, staxman, Teddyjack and 3 others like this.
  15. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

during the 1980s & 1990s I resided in DFW, and considered moving to NOLA; the French Quarter actually.
    Decided against that idea & glad I did.
    I ended up in MN but when I move it will be the northwest Florida coast aka the redneck Riviera.
    I will be near the beach then pretty much all the time & only a three hour drive from NOLA. :cool:

Many years ago I used to love going to the galleries in The French Quarter; prices for really nice paintings were very reasonable then. Last time I went (2012) to the galleries the prices were insane.
    I love NOLA but living there isn't for me.

YMMV

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Sometimes when you are within the algorithm and ingesting it constantly, viewpoints and opinions are entirely predictable...

Watch The Social Dilemma and much will be revealed.

(Mark Z’s “hair” should have been a huge tip-off...)

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Was it a guy named Eddie who told you weather patterns will be stabilizing in the next couple of years? if so, that same dude told me that vcrs are making a comeback.

18. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

I would have to fall into the "nice place to visit, but...." camp. For a mid-westerner, it's exotic and definitely has its own thing/vibe. Too small for me - I like the cultural options that large cities have to offer. I do like to go down there every couple of years.

The music scene is OK-ish. Lots of good players, but also a lot of playing to the tourists.

19. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I lived in NO for 10 years while I was a chef. No longer in that profession. I grew up an hour away in Thibodaux. Very nice small city and now reside in Houma which is 20 min from Thibodaux. I enjoyed the work I did when I lived there, but not so much the city. I am a country boy, so there is some relevance there. There are many places to live outside NO and which will still afford you to work there if that is the plan. Very nice areas in the Covington, Mandeville area that are just across the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway bridge there. I worked in NO recently and drove there daily from my home in Houma for around 2 years. Took about an hour one way. The culture and the city itself are unique. Like no where else. I personally have no desire to live there again, but do visit quite often. My wife and I were there Saturday for some shopping and food. Had some great Korean food and Mexican with some frosty Mexican beverages. Good luck with your decision.

LutherBurger and deytookerjaabs like this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hey, Death Valley is a relatively short commute to Las Vegas. Sharpen up your Elvis chops and you are good to go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.