1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I crazy? Thinking on moving to New Orleans.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Oct 25, 2020.

1. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Try it with the family first. Negatives seem quite significant.

2. secretsoundz

secretsoundz TDPRI Member

Out of all of the cool places to live in the USA New Orleans would be at the bottom of my list next to Houston.

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Great place to visit, but.....you know the rest of the saying. I would certainly not want to raise a family there. Extremely high crime area. In the top five in the nation for violent crime. However, music and entertainment is top notch.

If you feel an unquenchable need to live there I would choose one of the safer suburbs or a smaller nearby town. Bear in mind I've been there only once. So take my comments (sort of) with grain of salt. But, as I stated above, I would never ever pick NOLA as a place to raise a family. JMHO.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

Eh, I’ve lived in some high crime/violent areas in my day. In any given city the areas where middle class white folks are (barring touristy and transitional areas where there are a lot of naive people walking around), are generally pretty insulated from crime, often by a heavy police blanket. Not approving, but it is what it is. I’d think OP would agree with me this is the case in Chicago. The way some people from my suburban hometown would talk about some smaller cities in my state (where the only crimes were the occasional burglary), you’d think they were talking about the west side of Chicago, or the south Bronx in the 80s.

With kids in a city (any city) primarily I’d worry about being able to sort out a good school option. And if OP is coming from Chicago, well, the south in general has a pretty bad reputation for school systems that are on par with ones in developing nations. The systems are so bad in Florida that at one point they were offering full rides to state school for anyone who graduated from high school with a 3.0. NOLA has the natural disaster factor on top.

5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The North Coast is much cheaper and safer. Midwesterners all understand.

Although, if you lived in Chicago, you probably already got a taste, but on the "wrong end of the spectrum". :D

fenderville50 and deytookerjaabs like this.
  6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

i am reminded of why we were careful to buy above the flood plain and the 100 year flood mark (I live on a riverbank) ... we had 3x ‘100 year floods’ in 6 years!

why risk it?

Obsessed and deytookerjaabs like this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

my buddy Tom moved From Michigan down there - to Mandeville , south across Lk Pontchartrain , after many, many years of long extended visits.

He realized he didn’t wanna be away from it. He wanted to be in it.

and he didn’t Quit his job.

he’s a software engineer and basically told his company - I’d love to still work for you online and I can do that anywhere so – your choice.

He loves it and has been very lucky so far weatherwise.

Plus we got Frankie the cat when he left which was a win-win for everyone.

70BA627B-0061-4E9D-9C8B-E8E65693892F.jpeg

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You mean, like...Arkansas?

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Mandeville and Covington are on the North Shore. Ironically, that parish (St. Tammany) is one of the most family-friendly places I've ever lived in. If I wanted to go back with a family, that's where I would go. If you need it, the city is just a 30-minute drive away across the lake.

10. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Lafayette was as close to NO as I wanted to live. Loved Lafayette. We used to vacay in Abita Springs, which is not bad...easy drive to NO.

I loved the little towns, little bars, etc. Houma, Thibodaux, etc. The whole Hwy 90 thing. NO was avoided except for the Jazz Fest.

arnie5150 and deytookerjaabs like this.
  11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Went to college there after I got out of the service. My ex-wife and my son and his family live there. It has changed a lot from my time living there. If you have a lot of free time, there is awesome culture and history to get into. It can be clickish and takes a while to become part of New Orleans. Food and entertainment possibilities are world class. Hot and sticky in the summers. Living in New Orleans is expensive, suburbs are mostly West or across the lake where my son lives. As this year has proven, Hurricanes like Louisiana.

Avoid my ex-wife and you'll be fine.

12. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

call me crazy, but i just can t see the attraction to live below sea level...

13. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I guess you wouldn't like Holland much!

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's always Vaals.

[​IMG]

Actually, there may be a very slight difference between living in NO and living in Holland :lol::lol::lol:

15. E5RSY

The Dutch have a much better handle on the situation than the Corps of Engineers in NOLA.

16. E5RSY

Agreed. Cajun country has its own strong charm, just as does NO and its Creole charm.

Oxidao and deytookerjaabs like this.
  17. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Come on. You don’t want to live in a fish bowl that relies on levies and pumps to keep it from being part of a lake?

18. nickmsmith

nickmsmith TDPRI Member

I liked visiting N.O.

Don't think I'd consider living in the vicinity, though. I thought Baton Rouge area seemed like a better place to live, New Orleans a better place to visit. I'm basing this all on a short visit, so take it with a grain of salt.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  19. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I lived there as a child and I've gone back (too) many times since then, but only when I couldn't avoid it. Yes, I think you are crazy.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Death Valley is an option to live below sea level. Little flooding and not as muggy.
    BTW, probably a lower crime area too. IMG_4735.JPG

teleblastard6, Big_Bend, KS6V and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.