1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I crazy? Thinking on moving to New Orleans.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Oct 25, 2020.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

And not just myself but with a missus, a kiddo and a kiddo-to-be in tow somewhere in or right around city proper.

Trying to do a +/- analysis.

On the negative:

1. Possible utter devastation courtesy of mother nature.
    2. The water?
    3. The schools.
    4. Safety.
    5. June-August weather conditions are not livable for human beings.

Addressing number 1: Well, it's still there!?!? Number 2: I can boil it, I suppose. Number 3: I already drive half way across town for a lotto school yet I live in a massively overpriced neighborhood. 4. Lived in shady areas of Chicago for years, stayed sharp and luckily was never in personal harm. 5. Air Conditioning.

On the positive:

1. Music, more music and more music with lots of dives-per-capita. I like dirty joints and love playing them even more. Dive people are my people.
    2. Food.
    3. Old stuff, especially the old homes/buildings. I just love it.
    4. Still seems to be some affordable spots.
    5. Just as far from family as where we are now.
    6. Music.

Any folks with personal experience?

2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My only personal experience is as a visitor to Mardi Gras.

Here are some interesting figures Google provided

New Orleans is 5.0% less expensive than Nashville-Davidson. New Orleans housing costs are 31.9% less expensive than Nashville-Davidson housing costs. Health related expenses are 11.9% less in New Orleans.

If you're into hunting and fishing, isn't Louisiana called "Sportman's Paradise"? Could be a factor, too.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I used to live in the area. The term "New Orleans" casts a wide net...what part of town specifically are you talking about? Orleans Parish? Jefferson Parish? West Bank? And, it gets even more granular than that within those areas.

4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Buy flood insurance!

5. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Get a house above the water line...as far above as you can afford.

New Orleans is my favorite for music too. I think of Tuba Skinny, Trombone Shorty, Anders Osborne...

:)

teleblastard6 and deytookerjaabs like this.
  6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I live less than an hour north.
    I go to NOLA once a week or so to deliver produce or participate in the Crescent City Farmers Market.
    It is unlike anywhere else I’ve ever been and I’ve been all over the Southern half of the U.S.
    You may dig it.
    May I suggest you try a long visit before you commit yourself financially.

7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Only been there as a visitor, but I’d say that if you’re an open minded, creative type that’s a little on the wild side, you might find yourself at home there.

Living, working, and raising a family somewhere like that is another story altogether. I’ve lived in places that attract tourists and out of towners. Having your neighborhood trampled by them for months at a time gets old after a while.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Anacharsis and deytookerjaabs like this.
  8. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I visited for the first time last November and fell under the spell too. I want to visit again soon, and could definitely see myself living there.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Like suggested above, I've been basically mulling over areas based on the FEMA flood map but that's really it. Yeah, the neighborhood thing is intense, it was in Chicago too and I'm not well-researched on the matter. I figure we'd do a week or so hang down there to get a feel for balancing price/neighborhood.

I know this, I want at least 1 or more good dives within walking distance and I love walking everywhere in general.

I've visited multiple times the past couple years but my stays were too short. I know there's a lot more than the stuff I got into.

teleblastard6 likes this.
  10. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I would never be able to deal with the hot humid weather.

braveheart, deytookerjaabs and JL_LI like this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Crazy talk. Yet another member losing their marbles. NFWIH.

Take a deep breath. Check your vitals. Seek professional help.

12. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

13. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

don't fool with the police. not even a little bit. they will beat you with sticks.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have a lot of experience with NOLA, both before and after Katrina. My mom just lived there for three years to finish her college degree 40 years later. Great music, great food, beautiful, and there's no other city anything like it. At its best, it's the most amazing place on Earth.

But it's way too expensive for what you get, these days. It "gentrified" faster than any other major city, because it had a natural disaster to displace many of the poor in one fell swoop, while in other cities, getting all those pesky "urban" poor people out of the way takes a bit longer. I'm all for a place getting "fixed up." But when it does happen, it's not fixed up for the broke people who live there already; it's fixed up around them. It's in order to get a different class of outsiders to move in...and the old timers need to be moved out of the way first. I am against moving there, because I don't agree with this. I won't be involved in the displacement of low-income natives just so I can live out my outsider's Disneyland fantasy of their city. I also don't want to live among yuppies and hipsters, or be associated with them in any way...and NOLA is absolutely crawling with them these days. Therefore the only way I wold live there would be in a neighborhood in which I already fit in nicely with the traditionally existing demographics...which pretty much means lower middle class white suburbs, in a neighborhood mostly still occupied by natives, and going into the heart of the city as needed........which kind of defeats the point.

And...what are you going to do for money? Jobs pay crap there.

In other words, better city for me as a tourist/visitor, at this point, IMO.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  15. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

My second exwife is from New Orleans. For 10 years we drove from Birmingham to visit her parents. I would rather live on the dark side of the moon than live in New Orleans.

16. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I live in Fort Worth, Texas... Burleson in actuality... same thing. I grew up around here, but have also lived in Summit County, CO and Watsonville, CA...
    My family and I would be living in or around NO right now if my wife would let us. I love it there. REAL people. Culture. Music. Food... you obviously get it. For whatever reason, my wife isn't into the idea, but I wish she was and eventually may have to try a little harder to persuade her...
    Good luck and I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Oh yeah, ... and they can drink outside aon the streets downtown... that makes the atmosphere different... better.

drmordo, Rattfink and deytookerjaabs like this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think go for it. Rent, figure it out. find your exact spot.

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  18. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Never short of horn players and NOLA puts out some of the most bad-assed drummers on the planet. If I ever happen to get the bug to get drinkin' again I think maybe a 2 or 3 year tour of the city might be in order.

drmordo and deytookerjaabs like this.
  19. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

Try it for a week with the fam, if they are up for it take any job you can get, live there alone in a cheap hotel and get to know the city.... then move the family and get a long term job. Its always better to test drive a new environment.

20. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

You have two kids. Is it a good city for two kids? Are the schools good? Much more important then the night life.

lewis, teleblastard6, Sconnie and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.