Am I crazy for really liking my Vox Pathfinder 10 clean?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fozhebert, Oct 3, 2018.

1. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

Many in the forums seems to poo-poo the 10 over the 15. the 15 is like hen's teeth around here. The clean sound is crisp and full enough for home volume that doesn't piss off my wife. Just Tele straight in for now. Gain will come later.

Thoughts?

2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, leave right now.

kidding...

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I think the 10 is a good sounding cheap amp, both clean and gain, but for $20 more the VX1 is better IMO. More variety, and built in effects. The 10 doesn't even have reverb.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm probably guilty of some of the "poo-pooing" you've read. In retrospect, it wasn't a fair criticism.

My first encounter with a Pathfinder 10 was in a resale shop. My wife was doing some "antiquing," and I was along for the ride. In one of the shops they had a PF10; it wasn't in great condition, and what's worse, the only guitar available to plug into it was a First Act or some such. It sounded bad, and thus formed my impression of the 10. Like I said, not really a fair criticism, especially when compared to the 15R.

Years later, one of my granddaughters was taking up guitar. Her parents had bought her an Epi LP, and I took her shopping for an amp at our local GC. She test drove several, including a Pathfinder 10. This time, that amp sounded a lot better to me. Still not a 15R, but much better.

For what you're looking for--bedroom amp, low volumes, playing clean with a tele--the 10 can certainly do that. It's a dry signal (no reverb or trem), which would be a big adjustment for me. So if I couldn't find a 15R, I might consider Doug's recommendation of the VX1, although I haven't tried one, and I don't usually take to modelers.

5. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

I've owned several of the Vox amps mentioned. I still own the Pf15, AC10, and the Mv50 AC. The Vx I bought on clearance but returned it due to some noise fadeout on some of the models. Also had a Valvetronic which on some models sounded Ok but seemed to lack the chime I prefer on the Pf15. The Pf10 had all the power and volume on the OD channel which sounded fizzy and little volume on the clean. I did the led mod on the amp and slipped in an 8 inch speaker (not enough room to bolt in) which was a huge improvement. More vol on clean and fizz gone on the od. Still preferred the 15 so sold it.

If you are looking to buy and money not too much an issue, I would recommend the AC10. Sounds great stock, even with the cheaper Celestion speaker and Chinese tubes. Next I would recommend the Mini Beetle which I tried at GC and sounded great and perfect size for home use. For less money, the MV which is basically the same but is the head w/o tremelo or reverb or seperate eq and you need your own cab. Some places are starting to discount them now. My AC version can get loud and crunch and cleans sound great at lower volume.

Fwiw, I also own a Fender Champion 20 which has great models of the Ac15 and AC30. Try it out. Great little amp for $99 with lots of features. Fender BF, Tweed, and heavy rock/metal as well which all sound good once you tweek gain and vol settings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.