Am I crazy? CVC vs Player Series

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DimEyeGuitarGuy, Aug 11, 2020.

1. DimEyeGuitarGuy

DimEyeGuitarGuy Tele-Meister

I need some guidance folks. Simply put, am I just crazy?

Late last year, I bought a player series telecaster. I love the guitar actually. It’s great.

My wife asked me yesterday why I bought it. I was taken back a little and asked her what she meant. She said... well, you just always play that other one.

She was referring to my 2018 CiC Squier Classic Vibe Custom.

That got me to thinking about it and she’s right. I absolutely adore my CVC. It truly is my favorite guitar and my go to.

So what do y’all say? Am I just crazy for choosing it over my player series?

Tom

rangercaster likes this.
  2. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nope. Squier classic vibes are good guitars

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

You are most likely crazy, but you do have good taste in guitars !!!

Andre Rock, Rocky058, DougM and 2 others like this.
  4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

This is a daily question at guitar forums and i can't understand why. No, u aren't crazy. I had a CV 50s till i sold it recently but not because it wasn't good. In fact it was AS WELL built as ANY fender i have ever owned USA, MIM or MIJ. But thats not what make a guitar great....TO YOU. It's simply the way it sounds and feels TO YOU. I sold mine because the neck was thinner then i wanted and it was rather heavy and bought a 2002 fender 69 thinline. I like it more then the CV, but only because it ticks all the boxes that I wanted. The CV was a much much better built guitar. Everything was sheer perfection from the finish to the frets to the neck pocket, the latter being the best i have ever seen on any bolt on. If my preferences were different and the VC ticked as many boxes as the thinline i never would have swapped.

Anyways, as i have said before too many times, price has little to do with what guitar will speak to you. It's more about design than anything....neck shape, size, fret shape and size, bridge type, even tuners effect tone. (heavy vs light) When it all comes together to tick all your particular boxes thats all that matters. My new epiphone P90 LP special TV yellow....i prefer it to my previous gibson P90 special that was 4 times the cost. But i'm not surprised at all because the design is different and i knew the epi's design would be closer to what i want in feel and tone which is why i bought it.

Deathray likes this.
  5. Seattlesurfer

Seattlesurfer TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

C990A5DA-51D2-46B7-9052-9EDF6CB21FC9.jpeg Just bought the 2018 butterscotch blonde to go with my 2010 “62”. Can’t go wrong with a Squier CV!

horax, Andre Rock and Treehouse like this.
  6. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

yeah... the CV's are really an anomaly.

IDK why no one really mentions it, but the sheer number of quartersawn/flame maple necks on these over the years is nuts.

7. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I mention it every chance I get, because I have one of those quartersawn necks and I love it. Just yesterday I had a fit of weakness and ordered a Vintera '50s modified. Logically, when it gets here, I should either sell the CV or return the Vintera. I'm pretty sure I won't want to return the Vintera -- but I can't see myself selling that CV, because it means too much to me personally. I guess I'll just have to keep both. :(

hemingway, Seattlesurfer and Deathray like this.
  8. Seattlesurfer

Seattlesurfer TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

ben smith likes this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

you may be crazy - can’t tell from here- but not because you prefer one guitar over another. Happens all the time. Just enjoy the ride. Takes a bit of crazy to navigate these days, anyway.

rangercaster and Seattlesurfer like this.
  10. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

I bought a second hand CV Tele at the end of last year, mostly just because a wanted to try out owning a Tele. Now it gets at least 50% of the playing time, my AV56 Strat gets a good rest.
    I quite enjoy that I get as much pleasure playing either a reasonably expensive guitar or a relatively cheap one.

Seattlesurfer likes this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've been playing my CV50s a lot lately, my Harley Benton junior too.

12. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister

No. Not Crazy. I have had a tele Classic Vibe Custom for may years. I changed the saddles to compensated brass, replaced the jack cup with an electrostatic one, and replaced the bridge pickup with a Duncan classic stack. It was and continues to be a recording staple. Plans are in the works to replace the neck pickup with a Duncan Pearly Gated wired in parallel.

Last week I picked up a Fender Black Player Series Telecaster with maple board. Its also a beast. Still getting to know it. Not sure if any changes will be needed. I think this will end up being the more traditional tele sound while the CV may get tuned to open G to get my Keef on.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.