Am I Being Too Fussy

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TheMicster, Jun 5, 2021.

1. bensophoto

bensophoto TDPRI Member

I can be fussy like that and the answer is always to just play
    And Im not being glib here - if I have a guitar that is beautiful, intones, feels good in the hand - and the mental anguish of a few millimeters makes it a bad experience…..
    Then I need therapy not a new pickguard
    Cause at that point Im being triggered by/need to control things that have nothing to do with guitars

and i go to therapy so you know Im sayin this for real

TheMicster likes this.
  2. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Let's not forget that this isn't a premium guitar, just a bog-standard guitar they are gouging you on. I would not expect miracles.

You can get perfect alignment in a tele from someone like Suhr or Anderson.

Ebidis and TheMicster like this.
  3. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would be more interested in moving the PG as well. No need to open up a can of worms if the guitar already plays well. first thing I would do is loosen the screws on the PG and control plate. you just might find enough wiggle room to improve the spacing. Otherwise I would say follow your ears instead of instead of your eyes

TheMicster and gregulator450 like this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Fenders are likely very consistent with QC. I worked in quality control for 15 years. Quality Control is not about looking for any imperfection and rejecting it, QC is about ensuring what goes out the door is within acceptable tolerances. If it falls within a specified +/- nominal target, it is "in spec" and out it passes that inspection point. If there are 50 points that are all measured by QC and one spec is perfect and 49 are only "within spec", out the door it goes as a saleable instrument.

When QC starts rejecting pieces due to out-of-tolerance issues, the manufacturing process has usually strayed out of tolerance, and adjustments or re-tooling needs to take place to target nominal specs. Every single part on a manufactured guitar also have their own tolerances that are checked prior to assembly. This could be a plant in Korea or anywhere. Manufacturers inspect "lots" of incoming parts to ensure they meet their standards. But they typically can't inspect 100%, but inspect a statistically acceptable number of parts, then accept or reject the lot.

Efficiency and profit depend on parts being in tolerance, machining being in tolerance, and craftsmanship being in tolerance. There is more profit in more relaxed tolerances, so you typically pay more for tighter tolerances and fewer perceived defects because there is more scrap and re-work.

bluesguy62, Telecaster88 and Helmsmn2 like this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wish more folks would share this very useful perspective more often. I'm astounded by the number of folks who proclaim angrily they should get a PERFECT guitar. It's just not realistic (or necessary).

bluesguy62, Mike SS, Wound_Up and 2 others like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

When the low E or high E string is too close to the edge of the fretboard, it's due to the neck being set improperly in the pocket. There is wiggle room.

Want something else to obsess over? Look at the D and G strings running down the middle of the fretboard and see if the center dots all line up between them. Chances are good they'll be a bit off one way or the other, depending on how the nut was cut and/or how the neck is set in the pocket. If they're off a bit, it's a good bet one of the E strings is closer to the edge of the fretboard at the neck heel than the other E string.

There's a dead-easy fix for this. It's called slipping the neck.

Loosen each string by cranking each tuner button four turns. Loosen each of the four neck screws about half a turn.

Hold the guitar body firmly in one hand and gently push the headstock sideways [GENTLY!] in the direction you want the strings to go. The neck should stay in place in the neck pocket after you push it. If it springs back, snug each of the neck screws a teensy bit. The idea is to get the strings centered on the neck, and have the neck stay in place until you snug down the neck screws all the way. Handle the guitar gently as you do this.

When the neck screws are retightened, check the string alignment to ensure the neck didn't move on you, and then crank each tuner button four turns to get the guitar back to almost in tune ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wallaby likes this.
  7. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Tele-Meister

Are you sure the pickguard wasn't cut wrong or positioned ever so slightly off when it was installed?

Ebidis likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That's not as simple as it appears, because the control plate mates tightly with the cutout in the pickguard. The problem is the pots are usually a snug fit in the rout and the control plate does not have much of a range of motion up or down. If it does, you'll be drilling for a new screw hole there too.

TheMicster likes this.
  9. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve found a slight amount of room in the control cavity, not much though, My point is that I would take what it gives me and be satisfied knowing that I at least tried.

Peegoo likes this.
  10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks like an awesome guitar. I am sorry that you are obsessing over a miniscule fault that in no way affects it's value or playability. Has anyone else looked at it and freaked out? "Oh dude! Look at that horrible gap between the pickguard and the bridge! Man, did you get screwed!!":eek:
    If it was a Custom Shop build, that you ordered and paid $$$$, and was built by a Master Builder specifically for you, I could see your point. It is however an assembly line instrument, and was made from mass produced parts. If it really bothers you that much sell it, and bring your magnifying glass, slide rule, and micrometer set when you pick out your next one.

Ebidis and MilwMark like this.
  11. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue TDPRI Member

looks absolutely normal for a Fender to me...

Ebidis and MilwMark like this.
  12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I didn't read the whole thread, so my apologies if this has been said already.

If you absolutely cannot live with the difference in spacing around the pickguard/pickup, the easiest thing would be to take a (sharp) box-cutter and shave off the desired amount on the side with the small gap. That plastic is super easy to cut through, and it won't involve moving anything. If you're careful, you could even do it without removing it from the guitar.

As others have mentioned, I wouldn't even consider moving the bridge or pickguard.

13. Zappastectomy

Zappastectomy TDPRI Member

I have a great partscaster with a baseball bat neck that uses an AmPro body. The bridge holes were slightly crooked and the treble E misalignment was mildly noticeable and it would slide to the treble side a bit when things got busy. I noticed it was weird when I installed a Barden vintage bridge.

It was fixed by redrilling/filling the holes a bit and now it’s fine.

14. Whitebeard

Whitebeard Tele-Meister

No matter what you do to it YOU will always know that it wasn't "perfect" from Fender. The only FIX I'd recommend would be to shave the skinny gap so that it matches the wider gap. The edge of the pickguard isn't beveled in the specific area so you'd be shaving at a 90 degree angle. The curve is the tricky part. I'd probably just get lost in playing it and let myself forget it's there.

15. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

That's a non-issue for me. If you want to tighten up the neck you can shim it with maple veneer, but be sure not to change the angle of the neck (unless you move the bridge that 1 mm, then definitely change the angle of the neck).

It really doesn't make much difference in terms of sound. Does your guitar lack sustain? Is it impossible to intonate? Then don't sweat it.

16. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

Ah, so here's an explanation as to why a crack appeared on my own treasured squier offset, in the finish right at the neck socket! There's absolutely no gap at all between neck and body. Thanks for that - I'm just a bit relieved to learn it wasn't abuse/neglect on my part.

G.Rotten likes this.
  17. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Play it and forget it!!!!!!!!!

18. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Nope, it's very common. The very first guitar I bought (a brand new white Epiphone Stratocaster copy) I don't count as being my first because when I got it home I saw the cracks in the neck pocket and immediately returned it as defective.

I added a bit more cash and bought a used 87 MIJ Fender Strat. It of course also had those cracks and I just assumed from that point on that it was normal. It is normal on guitars where the wood and or finish is tight against the neck.

As long as your neck stays in place you're all good. If your neck is moving not only will you have have to keep tuning the guitar but those small finish cracks will get bigger.

19. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

Something about it just irks me. There should be no room for any neck movement in the neck pocket. And the bridges on some Teles are just like yours.
    What choice do you have other than just live with it.

20. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I don't recall anyone with such OCD that they got bent out of shape over something on their guitar that was so microscopic that it wasn't visible without a macro lens before the advent of the internet. In my over 50 years of playing Fenders, I have never examined any of them with an electron microscope or gone over them with a fine tooth comb, searching for something to get worked up over. Now we see it all the time. How many times have we heard someone get bent out of shape because the strings don't line up perfectly over all 3 pickups on their Strat? If that mattered, then you couldn't bend a string could you? Do they play well and sound good? If so, I'm happy. I find this especially strange when everyone who buys a CS guitar wants a heavy relic that is artificially beat to s**t and looks awful. Human nature is a enigma that I'll never understand

Ebidis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.