Am I Being Too Fussy

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TheMicster, Jun 5, 2021.

1. TheMicster

TheMicster TDPRI Member

Hi bought this Am pro a few months ago new. Now that i've had it a while i can see the bridge position is not central to the guitar body and its now sort of bugging me, also the neck sits hard up to the bass side of the pocket but has small gap on the treble side.
    Am i being too fussy?
    Tried to loosen bridge screws and re position as its probably a millimeter or so out but it seems to naturally come back to its original position not wanting to make a massive repair project out this, but it bugs me a fair bit, surely at their level of business they'd have a jig to get the holes at least visually perfect.
    Is this common, in USA built Tele's? is anybody else's guitar like this?
    Is it possible the dealer sold me a B stock guitar but did not disclose it as such.
    Went to the shop to check some other guitars couldn't see any other like this even MIM's or CV's.
    Just not sure of what to do.

20210606_092848.jpg

20210606_092953.jpg

fattboyzz likes this.
  2. TheMicster

TheMicster TDPRI Member

I just thought a photo from the other side may show the spacing better.

20210606_093937.jpg

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Honestly, that wouldn't bother me at all. However, we're all wired differently and have different expectations.

4. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

The neck pocket gap is normal. I wouldn't worry about that. You could try removing all of the bridge screws but the lower right one and stuff matchsticks in the other holes to move the screws slightly, or you could just modify the pickguard so it looks right. Or you could do both. The strings seem to be in the right spots over the pole pieces, so I think I'd just fix the pickguard. That's harder than you might think, but definitely doable.

5. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

Having gone through many of these same thoughts, I would advise that if it plays in tune and is intonated then it is as it should be. Nothing is perfect but it's yours!

6. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

It's pretty hard for me to tell in the pictures what is actually wrong. Maybe the pickguard is just a hair out of place - that's pretty common and NBD as far as I know. It looks like everything important lines up just right, so if you like how it plays and sounds, rock on!
    Edit! Take off the stickers and plastic, mate!

E5RSY, Maguchi, 8barlouie and 10 others like this.
  7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks like to me the pickguard is more off than the bridge. You might be able to sand it so it looks even around the bridge.
    Regarding both the neck and bridge, I would be most concerned that the strings line up, as in properly spaced from the edges of the neck and lined up over top of the pickup.

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Yes. You're being too fussy.

I would not advise trying to relocate the bridge because then the issue will be that the through body string holes don't line up.

If you need everything to be perfect then you'll have to move everything except the bridge. There's another thread about using toothpicks or wooden dowels to fill pickguard screws. But then the issue will be non original wood on an otherwise perfectly good instrument.

Or you could remember that the guitar by design is a compromise and can never be perfect. Correcting one issue will create or enhance another and so on.....

As petty as they are and as much as they cost they are meant to be a tool.

Also, if you don't take the plastic off your guitar one day you'll have a guitar that hasn't a scratch on it but looks like this.

20190512_171026.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

As for the gap. You may think that's sloppy workmanship but the only flaw is thinking there shouldn't be a gap.

When necks fit perfectly tight into the pocket it causes finish cracks as the woods move in various temperature/humidity or just from the stress of you moving the guitar while you play.

A perfectly tight pocket also prevents any adjustment to neck alignment. You want no gap at the heel/butt end of the neck towards the bridge but you do want a small gap on at least one of the sides.

Here is the gap on my American Deluxe
    IMG_20210605_214235.jpg
    Here is the gap on my American Standard.
    IMG_20210605_214418.jpg
    Here is the thickness of that card.
    IMG_20210605_214557.jpg
    On the Deluxe the card is snug but slides in easily. On the Standard I could probably fit another half thickness card in there.

10. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Just wanted to add that if your bridge really was 1mm off to the side, your strings would be a mess on the upper frets, almost hanging off the side of the neck. You don't provide a pic of the neck with string alignment, but I assume that is not the case? Then your bridge is in the right spot.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It wouldn’t bug me.

12. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

You may not be able to see it very well, but the pick guard on my 1985 mij 62ri is off center with the tail piece. It doesn't affect the sound or playability. You can see the strings line up nicely with the dots on the neck and the pole pieces on the pickup. You know, I've never had anyone come up to me and point this out as a flaw. Guess I'll leave it alone.
    RedTele.jpg

Maguchi, Helmsmn2, bluesguy62 and 4 others like this.
  13. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I would put string spacing relative to the edges of the fingerboard before anything else on bridge spacing. That's a playability issue, and if they got that right then maybe it's the pickguard that's off.

Based on the photos, if that plays well and sounds good I'd keep it.

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

This issue is quite common with Fenders. Look at a string of them in a shop and probably 8 out of 10 will be off enough that you can immediately see it.

These guitars are modular in nature and are assembled from many different parts. Based on what I know about this stuff, they make their parts on a wide range of machines--new machines and some that are quite old but still working. This method creates loose tolerances and you get the results you have there. The problem is far less common on CS Fenders, but I've seen a few like yours.

[​IMG]

CNC and automated production processes are super accurate, but these sorts of products require hand fitting to be as close to perfect as possible. This hand fitting drives up production cost and ultimately retail cost. This is why super-high-end/moocho deenero guitars, e.g., PRS, rarely if ever (I've never seen it) have these kinds of issues because there is a crap ton of hand fitting that happens on them. Poor fitment occasionally occurs with Gibson; this is why you always need to 'cherry pick' a Gibson.

You can order a PRS or Knaggs strictly by photographs and you'll know it will be as perfect as can be, but you're paying for that. I know Fenders are expensive too, but that is how the market prices them. You'd expect them to be better (more consistent), but they're not.

15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I see the gap and the non-parallel lines. I get it. But that's pretty common.

16. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I always find it funny that people don't like the idea of CNCs being used because an expensive guitar should be "Hand made". Then when there is a human error it's then end of the world.

The worst example of poor craftsmanship I ever saw was on my Gibson Custom Shop ES-137. I have a thing for Gibsons with gold hardware and it had Chrome. One day I was poking around thinking of changing everything to gold. When I took off the pickguard I saw that they had tried 5 or 6 times to line everything up as there were multiple filled pickup mount holes hidden by the pickguard. I honestly don't even know how that's possible. Bring your kid to the Custom Shop Day?

But man.....was it a nice guitar!!!!
    CIMG5854-1.jpg

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

If you like all other aspects of the guitar... take the pickguard off during your next string change, get a small file and trim the guard to even the gap.... done..:)

it's only plastic.... ;)

KyAnne, Maguchi, Peltogyne and 14 others like this.
  18. AtlanticCity83

AtlanticCity83 TDPRI Member

My MIM Classic 50s doesn't have a gap at the neck pocket, the strings run perfectly over the polepieces and the bridge itself is aligned straight.

But a Baja I've owned had a bridge which wasn't aligned well. But...: The guitar itself was set up great as well, the strings ran straight over the polepieces, etc., p.p.

I think "made in USA" doesn't make it a better guitar. If it's too annoying, sell it and check out another Telecaster.

BluesGuitarMart and TheMicster like this.
  19. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

CP60s? I have the same guitar

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

If the strings line up right over the neck and pole pieces, and it intonates well, I wouldn’t think about it anymore.

Maguchi, CajunJ, Kevin Emmons and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.