1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Am I a Price Snob?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Cool_Bluester, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I hear you. I just thought I'd offer up a reason for guitarists to take pride in their expensive guitars.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

Eh, you're not a snob, you're just having an awakening. When I realized that I could get the same tone and feel from a modded import, I gradually started selling off my MIA guitars. When I started building guitars, it was all over. Now the only guitars I want to buy are the ones I can't build... Like a semi-hollow. But I'll take an Epiphone 335 Pro over a Gibson forever. I just can't see where the extra $3k goes.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My two best are my most expensive and my cheapest, a CS '69 Strat and my MIM avatar Telecaster that I either modified or butchered, depending on your perspective. These two, the ones I like best, get played a lot. The others still have a story. There are times I think of selling one or two that get played less but I know their stories, and the stories will be lost if they're sold. I'm not sure about pride in possessions. The guitars are just part of who I am. I guess I could have pride if I played them better but, I'm working on that.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

The kind of guitar nerds I'm interested in impressing are those that.....A. enjoy my playing.....and B. want to know who made that cool Telecaster. They're not familiar with the brand, and want to know if it's some cheap Chinese c**p, or some custom builder that they're not aware of. Either way, if I get a good performance out of it, I'm good.

Chunkocaster and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

It's so great that we can get such enjoyable guitars (and amps) for such low prices these days. It really is a fortunate time.

SuprHtr, nojazzhere and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I like what I like :).

My old favorite guitar was a Gibson R9 that I set up to my liking. I really liked how it played and how it sounded. It was (and still is) a guitar that I want to play.

My current favorite is a home-made. As to it's value, it's hard to say, but I'm pretty sure I could sell the R9 for 4 or 5 times (maybe more?) what I could get for the home-made.

I built the home-made to play the way I play and sound the way I like. I definitely want to play this guitar, and that is all that really matters.

Cost is always a consideration, but what I need is a guitar that makes me want to play it, regardless of the price.

IMG_0914.JPG

g

nojazzhere, SuprHtr and JL_LI like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The expensive ones do sell a lot easier and many are a thing of beauty. It's also great if you can play one and know straight away it's the guitar you must own. I'm not against expensive guitars, I just know you can get the same sound and playability from a cheap guitar. You can get the look as well if you finish yourself but it still wont sell for anywhere near what the high end brand name will.

I tend to not be concerned about a future sale price when choosing my guitar I plan on playing.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    aging_rocker, Toast and nojazzhere like this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Very common experience for me to be looking at a $3k guitar and a $300 guitar, trying to decide which one is going to the gig that night.
    Of course....I AM an amp snob...so that helps some of the budget axes sound good. But I have to live holding/playing a guitar, and sometimes I get that for surprisingly short coin.

9. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

The smell.

Toast and Dan German like this.
  10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

If you want to be a price snob okay. As you have stated that Boss Katana and G&L sound great at a good price. I have one and a Fender Princeton. Some Fenders and a Taylor. i also built two Telecasters and am making a stewmac Les Paul jr kit this week, all Mahogany and may buy a high quality P-90 down the track.
    Oh- didn't Jimmy Page play a Danelectro, so too JJ Cale? Maybe it's the player and not so much the equipment. Food for thought.

11. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Everybody has their own preferences. I had that G&L and while it was reliable and fine, it never inspired me either in term of playability or tones. Katanas are, IMO, similarly OK in terms of sound but offer little in terms of response. To me, they sound like a convincing reproduction of an amp while I find other amps way more fun to play. Every instrument at every price point will have advocates and people who could care less. IMO, it is not yet true that inexpensive guitars are made as well as various high-end guitars. In most cases, the materials are way different, sometimes the specs are different, and the components are often very different. Sure, there are companies like Fender where everything they make is essentially assembled out of spewed-out components, and I can see why great players can readiiy find a Squire model they like more than a $1500 Strat. But if anyone's paying $2K or more for a guitar that isn't demonstrably better made than a mass-produced factory instrument, well, they don't know how to buy a good and valuable guitar. I'm not gonna swap my Versoul for someone's Pacifica.

12. TBOT

TBOT TDPRI Member

I had a 1991 Gibson J-30 for 25 years.
    Never bonded with it but kept it because it was a Gibson. Sold it to buy a pretty sweet Fender Mustang. Decided I needed a dreadnought for singing and playing around the house. Bought an all laminate Epi Hummingbird Artist. Adore this guitar. Don’t know why. It’s just good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.