Am I a Price Snob?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Cool_Bluester, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Cool_Bluester

Cool_Bluester NEW MEMBER!

As I type, I am surrounded by a wall full of PRS, Godin, Patrick Eggle, et al.
    I have always paid top dollar (well...pounds), to get that axe that I am proud to own.

I have never owned a "T" style guitar, so after a lot of research, I purchased a used G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy Semi. A few months ago a purchased a Boss Katana 50 as a practice amp.

The amp AND the guitar cost me less than £500. My other guitars are gathering dust and my wonderful (but hissy) Boogie is buried under piles of magazines. I am playing more than ever, but feeling guilty about the expensive equipment consigned to mere wall decoration. After 50 years of instrument purchasing, I have stumbled on my best value guitar/amp combination ever.

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Price and value are different animals ... I am a value shopper ... Best bang for the least buck ... The fun is in the search ... The reward is as you describe it ...

stormsedge, howardlo, Toast and 7 others like this.
  3. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

You're not a price snob, otherwise you wouldn't have bought a Tribute.

kbold, Torren61, Doug B and 4 others like this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Dont feel bad about it. Just play what inspires you. If you find you prefer the more affordable guitar and your others don’t get played, consider selling a few if you want.

Or don’t. Your call. For me, I’ve had a lot of expensive guitars but currently have an electric (Classic Vibe) and an acoustic (70s Alvarez SJ 200 Copy) that cost a combined $700. And I love how they play and I’m getting the tone that I’ve wanted, truly.

Personally I don’t keep stuff if I’m not playing it, and just don’t keep a lot of stuff in general, so that’s my thinking at least.

JL_LI and Toast like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm cheap but wont compromise on quality. You can build a top level tele for just a few hundred bucks these days. You can spend a lot more but there's no real need to.
    Once you get past the brand name and model hype you start saving lots of dollars and have the ability to own more nice guitars to play.

The brand and model just give you an idea of the spec and quality control but they aren't the only way to get that spec and quality.

SuprHtr, Fiesta Red, brandonh and 4 others like this.
  6. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

We live in a great time for guitars. I'm sure most of you remember the days when a cheap guitar was anything but playable. Not so today,

Hiker, OldDude2, Fiesta Red and 8 others like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I think that it's increasingly obvious that top-quality gear can now be made in the Far East for very little money. I own and have owned a range of instruments, but at my gig last night I played my cheapest guitar, as I often do - an Epiphone with the stock pickups. Sounded great, looked great, played great. I'd like to own the fancier Gibson version, but I'm really not sure what I'd be getting for the extra two thousand.

rickthescot and Toast like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You have only begun your path to wickedness ;)

Find a top talented guitar tech in your area, one who uses a string tension jig when leveling frets or a PLEK. Buy a used beater $50/pound guitar local. Take it to them and have them 'make it playable' with a fret level, usually around $100/pound (which is only $50 more than a plain setup). Swap the pots/caps/switch/jack and keep that under $30/pound. Leave the tuners and the pickups (unless they were smashed/wrecked by the prior owner). Play that guitar and you'll be amazed. You will essentially have a 'custom shop' grade of playability.

That is the trick with vintage guitars, often one of the owners in that guitar's fifty years took it to a competent tech for a tune-up and then an average factory guitar became superb and makes everyone seek out a vintage guitar that plays as nice as that one since they assume it's all the factory guitars when it was really the caretakers post-purchase that made it great. Doing the same with 'a cheap guitar' can do the same thing.

Try one of these Glarry guitars

Check out the Harley Benton models at Thomann (if you are into LP styles the SC 450 and 550 are nice as is the paisley Tele).

nomadh and Toast like this.
  9. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

if you are playing, progressing and having fun, none of the other stuff even matters.

JL_LI, rangercaster, Obsessed and 2 others like this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice. Welcome to the universe of tele aficionados. You're REALLY going to flip when you see what you can build yourself for 500 pounds...but, all in good time...

Fiesta Red, Torren61 and TeleTown like this.
  11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't you just love those "ah ha" moments?

While I love my Fender Custom Tele FMT HH, I must say that I'm very impressed with G&L's Tribute line of ASAT guitars, especially the "Specials".

TeleTown likes this.
  12. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just put mine in a case in the closet out of sight, makes me feel better. Think of it as your retirement plan or a way for the misses to get by after you’re gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I'm the exact opposite of a price snob. I take perverse pride in finding bargains. Although I no longer lust after new instruments, I understand how a new guitar has inspired you to play more. My #1 Telecaster (which I'm gigging tonight) began life as a $100 Korean Fender Squier that has had the "bejeezus" modified out of it. It's been a (nearly) twenty year journey, but I now have my perfect Telecaster. I even built a more-or-less clone as a spare, and really on a budget. I never totaled my cost, but I believe it was under $400. Price does NOT translate to quality! ;) Enjoy your new gear.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have guitars and amps based on the sound I wanted. I don't care how trendy something is.

LOSTVENTURE, Toast and Doug B like this.
  15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

You can find brand new roadworthy guitars nowadays for +/- $500. The G&L Tribute Series is a great example, as is the Fender Player Series. The pickups maybe could use an upgrade and it may need a good setup. All that other stuff is just fluff - fancy wood, binding, boutique pickups, etc. It doesn't make the guitar play or sound any better though. I've had/still have a few expensive US made guitars myself. It's nice, but it really doesn't matter that much.

Toast likes this.
  16. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Although if you go the DIY route, you will probably have to pay for a workbench, loads of tools, time, etc. I think the DIY route is way more satisfying than owning a beautiful professionally constructed guitar, but each route has its costs. I'll also add that a lot of people in an audience want to see a brand. If Jimmy Page went out on stage with a guitar that had a blank headstock, I think a lot of the audience would be disappointed. We live in a consumer age where brand actually matters to a lot of people. A large proportion of the posts on this website should confirm that observation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

I know your situation,I've been through that before...don't worry or or put yourself under pressure ...
    Enjoy your current gear situation...someday your Boogie or Prs guitars will be be great again...
    Life is a loop of phases..:)

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a $2600 guitar and just bought a $169 guitar. They both are equally expressive musical instruments.

You are the creator of music. Time to create.

rickthescot and JL_LI like this.
  19. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I'm a price snob too, except I prefer low priced gear. The guitar I play the most is a $140 Douglas from Rondo Music, with a great fret level and setup. I like my Classic Vibe Tele, and my Agile Les Paul. All great stuff.

I also love top-quality stuff, don't get me wrong, but I'm happy that I can get a great sounding and playing guitar for so little money these days.

20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think half the audience wouldn't know what brand was what. The other half wouldn't care if the they were impressed by what they were hearing. The last couple of bodies I have bought cost me around $40 bucks each delivered and sound the same as brand name bodies as much as 2 different pieces of wood can with the same pickups. Sure I could have bought $500 dollar plus bodies but why. No one can tell the difference. I have basic tools etc but put the last couple of teles together in my lap sitting on the lounge room floor. A quality tele is as complicated as you want to make it. Its just a neck and body held together with 4 screws. With a nice neck it's hard to not end up with a nice guitar.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.