Am I a Guitar Snob?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larmo63, May 12, 2018.

1. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Is not asking the question, Am I a Snob?, a form of snobbery itself?
    As far as Fender, everybody and his brother builds themselves a Partscaster, they must feel as though they can build one better than Fender or why wouldn’t they just buy a Fender, it’s not as if a Partscaster is cheaper.
    Tele’s and Strat’s have be upgraded and modded since forever because people want something better than OEM, so
    no snob factor with a Fender IMO.

2. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I just figured out that I may be an amp snob too. I only play Fenders, Marshalls, and an Orange tube amp.

Dang it, I think I need to go to a GGSA meeting. Guitar Gear Snobs Anonymous.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    stratoman1 likes this.
  3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

You like what you like. Nothing wrong with that

Larmo63 likes this.
  4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I dunno if I’m a snob but all my partscasters have booteaky bits. Callaham, Glendale and Rutters hardware. Pickups by Mare, Wolfetone, Zangliqun, Ellis and Fred Stuart. Musikraft, Guitar Mill, Usagc bodies and necks. It wasn’t the cheapest stuff but all came out as at least very good guitars.

Two of my three acoustics were very spendy. Collings. One custom made. The other was two hundred bucks though. That one probably wasn’t snobby. The rest though?

So yeah, overall, I probably tend toward snobbish. But I have nothing whatsoever against anything inexpensive that performs well.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Larmo63 likes this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I like what I like, but I have an open mind. I don't care what you play as long as it sounds good. I'm trying to keep my judgements to myself. When I hear that voice pop up saying, "Why would anyone play one of those?" I tell it to shut the duck up. But, yes I've been a total gear snob at times. Nothing is for everyone. What works for me may not work for you.

6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Maybe it's just me, but I consider snobbery to be a sense of personal superiority over others. I support just about anyone's personal enthusiasms... if you have to have exactly that one finicky burst because you like it, that's fine with me, if you prefer mahogany, that's great -- as long as it's positive. What really bugs me is when people think that what they own or know or prefer somehow makes them superior to those who don't care about those same things. I've had people easily exceed my technical skill and musicality on equipment costing a shred of my rig, and after a few of those experiences, you understand that music speaks for itself and snobby superiority/inferiority stuff is just bad behavior. If you can't encourage others in their enthusiasms, try to shut up.

P Thought and Larmo63 like this.
  7. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Snobbery doesn't come from ownership or preference. It comes from one's judgment of others. I've got a lot of nice instruments, but I know the best musicians around here play what they can afford and that's usually not much. It keeps me humble, as it should.

tedocaster likes this.
  8. peterpicker

peterpicker Tele-Meister

If these brand names you all desire are better, then it's not snobbery but that you have fine discriminating tastes and want good guitars.

9. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Call me snob. I have ONE Fender Tele, ONE Gibson SG and ONE Gibson acoustic...

On the down side, I also have ONE Ibanez... but is a Pat Metheny Signature, is it posh enough?

Larmo63 likes this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

We seem to have similar tastes. I, too, stick to Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, and Martin [hereafter pronounced 'FGGM'], with the odd Collings tossed in.

I'm not sure what it has to do with snobbery, though.

"Snob: a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people."

There are a lot of things that people do, putting themselves in a favorable light compared to others. One of them is seeing snobs around every corner, assuming that because another person does something, it must be from a sense of thinking they're better than you. As if they care.

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've only got Fender electrics,Teles I've made myself and an old Ibanez Acoustic....even my Bass has a Tele headstock....

I've never owned any other brands..... seen them on videos, though...:D

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Are you a guitar snob? Yes.

I have a few guitars and my $450 Cort OM Cutaway is cool like it's bigger brother, a Taylor 214-CE.
    Mr. Collings is the ultimate snob where Made in USA is only good and that's if you buy his guitars.
    Truth is Maton from Australia and Loef from Finland are just as good and there are probably too many others to cite.

13. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

you are not a snob, merely brainwashed by advertisments

Tony474 and Jupiter like this.
  14. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

So what? Just be a nice gear snob and be you.

Larmo63 likes this.
  15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Short version: Yes.

Long version: Gibson, Fender, Martin, Gretsch, Guild, and Rickenbacker were the names on the guitars of all the groups I saw on TV as a little kid in the ‘60s. So that’s what I’ve always aspired to own. It exerts a powerful influence on me to this day. I don’t think they are necessarily better or that there aren’t often equal or better guitars for the price being made by others.

But the reptile part of my guitarist brain still wants to own guitars with one of those names on the headstock.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Dan335 and Larmo63 like this.
  16. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

It's funny - I play a couple of Epiphone mandos, which sound great. They cost around the 1000. AUD mark (I got them for less), but I get complimented on my tone - till people see teh brand... (by people, I mean mando players)

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Its called disposable wealth .Get over it .

18. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

sure, somebody who only likes a guitar if the logo on the headstock is a brand name...

yup, thats a snob.

Larmo63 and Fearnot like this.
  19. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I think he was joking?

20. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Seriously though, how could restricting yourself to Fender, Gibson and Martin be any form of snobbery. Martin sold it's 2 millionth guitar back in early 2017. And given how many millions of fenders and gibsons inhabit this earth how could one hold any exclusivity to owning one. It's like being a beer snob by only drinking Coors.

Tony474 and Larmo63 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.