Am I a good singer? Or should I get a day job?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charchar11, Mar 22, 2019.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Most people have several.

2. charchar11

charchar11 TDPRI Member

Bar har har!!!

3. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When you signed up, you didn't "pick" a locality. You wrote whatever you wanted. There was no pull-down menu with all the world's cities. Once again, that fish smell.

Yikes, dude. Did you come to this forum to see how many lies you could drop in one thread? Seriously, this forum is full of the straightest shooters you'll ever find, and you wanna be the resident liar? Right now, you're only 20-something posts into TDPRI. I'm betting you've already overstayed your welcome.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  4. Cooper

Cooper Tele-Meister

This thread is something else.

5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Real singers don't care if they're good or not.

6. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Ask and you shall receive, I guess..lol

Weird vibe coming from this thread. Entertaining to watch though ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Just to be clear, since there was that autotune denial thing, you say you don't live in Malibu, but does that mean you don't live in a Malibu? BTW-I've always liked the warm plate effect GM interiors have had on the sound of my voice.

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I liked what I heard EXCEPT the auto-tune! Ditch that, and you got some good stuff going there, keep it up man.

drf64 and charchar11 like this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Even if you were a fantastic singer, it doesn't mean you should quit your day job. I know a few truly fantastic singers and they all have day jobs. And we can all name some rock stars who can barely sing. And as people have reported, this track is not evidence of that. Frankly to me it sounds like, behind the mix and the autotune, your voice is pretty thin, it doesn't sound like you vary your delivery much, and I didn't hear any real range attempted. It reminds me of my own first attempts at singing. Might work for lo-fi, hip hop, or folky old Iron and Wine kind of stuff but that doesn't mean it's a "great voice."
    This is not a review of the quality of the music it's an attempt to answer the OP question.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fair enough. So when you get down to it, who/what is an example of a "great voice?" Mick Jagger fronted one of (the?) most successful rock 'n roll bands in history, and his voice sits well in their mix. But... a "great" voice? I love him and the Stones, but not sure I can say that about him.

Most of us could probably agree on Freddie Mercury, though I'm guessing some would not.

Does Elton John have a "great" voice?

Robert Plant has one of the most iconic voices in rock history--and LOTS of big rock and roll fans cannot stand it!

Any of the Beatles? What about in old country? Some of those voices (George Jones for instance) had a tremendous presence about them, very distinct... don't know I could say he had a "great" voice.

Toto'sDad, nojazzhere and drf64 like this.
  11. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

It was ok. Kinda chill. I like that kind of stuff. I can’t believe you denied using Auto Tune though! Lol...it’s obvious af. You’re not dealing with amateurs here.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

IMHO....a "great" voice has as much or more to do with "appropriate" to the material as it does to its musical quality. Meaning....Mick Jagger does NOT have a great voice, but it fits the STYLE of the Stones' music perfectly. One of my favorite artists, Mark Knopfler, doesn't have a "great" voice, but I can't imagine any other going so well with the Dire Straits material. Many other bands and solo artists have had "unconventional" voices, but with the songs, delivery, or stage presentation, (or combinations of all three) make us love them.

bftfender and Colo Springs E like this.
  13. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

If you want my honest opinon (without being too critical) this particular song is just mediocre. I wouldn’t mind hearing it in some cafe but I wouldn’t think twice about it.

I would personally go for a day job where I can promote my music to the audience I'm seeking. Maybe be a barista for the young cafe crowd or being a bartender at night for a diff crowd. This is just for exposure and to see how they respond to your music, rather then the SoundCloud/youtube scene.

*as to your vocals, I’m not convinced it reached its’ potential. The song doesn’t show your range, but there’s a bit of that “soul”/mic presence missing. What I mean is I don’t feel any sort of connection that draws me to your song. All in all don’t give up but find what people respond to in real crowds and try to channel that.

14. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Since Dylan a and Jagger voice quality hasn't mattered..... It's the sincerely that matters ..oh add Keith to Richards in there too

15. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Can't understand the words & barely hear the vocals. Stick to your day job.

TeleTucson and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Ah, there we have it. Badged by others against your will, running against the wind!

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

He doesn't have a day job, he's asking (as I understand it) whether he should keep singing, OR get a day job.

Gonna put dickey down for:

Get a day job.

18. Toto'sDad

Uttering those words in a bar in at least seven states would get you beaten up, thrown out, and cause your girlfriend to run off with a truck driver. (I'm only saying it because it's true)

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Okay, Mr. OP, here's the bare truth. If you can't sing with only an acoustic guitar, or for that matter nothing to accompany you and hold an audience's attention, you ain't a singer. Don't get me wrong, you could still be successful, but you'd always be one of those guys who wouldn't have made it without technology.

[​IMG]

20. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

2wrp0p.jpg

telemnemonics and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.